Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by John3:16, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I would say if it wasn’t clicking with you by that point, the rest probably wouldn’t change your mind, but maybe worth a shot another day. I loved it, it was a beautiful story about a family struggling in various ways, a daughter struggling to find her way and connect with her mother, but wrapped up in an action sci-fi exterior. One of the most unique movies I’ve ever seen.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

Nunchucks!

Saw John Wick 4 today. Do yourself a favor and go experience this one in Dolby.

Greatest action franchise ever created and it's not close. My favorite and the perfect action movie is still Die Hard, that's a flawless movie. But that series as a whole has a lot of peaks and valleys (i refuse to recognize DH5). John Wick created such a rich world (looking forward to The Continental show and the Ballerina movie), you just want to be there for these interactions between these characters who have their own law, rules that are life and death, currency, etc.

Thank you Keanu for putting in the work. When you put everything into learning the skill and doing as much of it as you possibly can, the fans can tell and really appreciate it. It's why he and Cruise have taken action to new heights with Wick and the MI franchise (can we see them in something together?).

Back to the 4th installment: there's SO much action in this one, I need to see it again to process everything I saw. The nunchucks and the shotgun steal the show as far as weaponry. Strap in because it's nearly 3 hours and the final hour in nearly all action.

Some spoilers stuff...
    Scott Adkins: was not expecting him as Kingpin with a steroid inhaler.
    Donnie Yen: KILLS! Really great role for him. Daredevil has nothing on him in regards to being a blind badass. Enjoyed his friendship with Wick, too.
    Lance Reddick: it was too close to the release to change it, but wonder if they had second thoughts about him dying in the movie considering he just died
    Wick: did not think he was going to die (unless he didn't). Originally they discussed shooting 4 and 5 back to back, so this was left field in my book. It's entirely possible "John" the husband is dead but "John Wick" the killer is still out there until he's needed again. We'll see. His story is complete though and he's at peace. Such a great character Keanu built and if this was it, he'll be missed. I want to see the kill count for this one because the Osaka count alone is higher than most movies.

It was fun the dynamic between Nobody (+dog), Wick, Caine. Helping one another and trying to kill one another.

TIME and Kenzo like this.
  3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

This series better never end...
    So freakin sick, seeing it again on thursday (only movie except last 2 Avengers im going to see twice).

TIME likes this.
  4. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    It's hard to beat John Wick 1. It had the best story of all four, but JW4 is amazing. Best action movie ever made IMO.

Kenzo and JSM like this.
  5. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Anyone watched Air? The Damon Affleck Jordan Nike movie?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and trodgers like this.
  6. Kenzo

Not yet, seeing it on wednesday. Looks promising

7. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    It really looks like a lot of fun.

8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Should be really good. Damon was great in a similar role in Ford vs Ferrari as Caroll Shelby, also with Christian Bale.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  9. Kenzo

Seen it, great freaking movie. We (my lady and i) were the only people there but it was super fun. Even for people who don't know much about basketball, Nike and Jordan it's a quality entertainment. Damon, Viola Davis, Bateman, Messina are dope, Affleck is finally good again and the soundtrack is pretty sick as well.

10. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Just saw John wick 4. I’ll write up my apparently unpopular thoughts.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  11. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Short take: This is a long, incredibly stupid amusement ride from one fight to the next. The PA system alternates between awesome techno music and horrible accents of contemporary languages and bad Latin.

What I thought the film botched:
    For how much time is spent on Keanu learning how to look good while doing awesome stuff with guns, this movie is sloppy and/or lazy about a lot of other things.

Languages.
    Can't find a French speaker to be a villain and speak with a French accent?
    Can't find a guy who can speak Russian or German to be Kila?
    Keanu can't be troubled to attempt a Japanese accent, despite his ear being so good that he can understand everyone who speaks Japanese to him. I'm not saying he hast to be fluent, because you can know a language and have an accent. But he sounds like he never studied or learned the language. I imagine it's the same in Russian. So, this guy say:

Weapon Inconsistency.
    Shooting people wearing helmets doesn't slow them down or concuss them in the least, even if you shoot them from six inches away.
    But hitting the same person with a nunchaku will rattle their brains.

Wound Inconsistency.
    A villain falls, is stuck by a car, they're f***ed.
    Wick suffers two falls that would have paralyzed or killed almost any human being. He not only walks away from both, in one of them he stands right back up and fights a crowd of people.
    Wick is struck by a car. No problem. I think he's also hurled into a van when a speeding car stops. It's okay. He's fine.

Wounds.
    Wick's duel wounds stop bleeding immediately when he's on the steps, though they are a little bloodier a few seconds later (so it's not just a vision of Heaven).
    Okay, so everyone has armor under their suits (the guys in grey suits) or Kevlar suit jackets. Fine. So when you're shot, the suit doesn't rip, I guess, but your arms and ribs would be broken.

What I thought the film did well:
    The over-head fight scene was pretty awesome. It was a little too long and required that Wick but no one else could see through walls, but it looked awesome. Put me in the feel of some of my favorite video games from back in the day, like Shadowrun (Sega Genesis).
    The soundtrack was top notch. Loved it.
    There were many, many brutal and visceral kills. That's one of the main reasons people watch this sorta flick, so well done.
    "Loving husband." That was good.

12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Went to go see Air this week since this weekend's movies are pushing it out of theaters here. It was important to me to be sure to support it in theaters because I dig what Ben and Matt are doing with their new production company -- Artists Equity. It's meant to get everyone working on the film paid fairly, from hair and makeup department to PAs, etc., it's a cool distribution system. Google it and read up on it if you're so inclined. As significant, their goal is to make 2-3 movies of this size per year for theatrical release. the type of films that were common place in the theater throughout the 90s-early 00s but have disappeared in today's age of superhero films, sequels, and recycled IP. Hell, even Tarantino said he wasn't in a rush to put out his 10th and final film because he doesn't know what the release and distribution landscape would look like right now.

I like the amount of content we have out today, if you're not behind on a dozen things you're not looking. Everything doesn't need to be a limited series though, some ideas should be a two hour movie and not an eight episode limited series on a streamer. There's also something to me that makes a straight-to-streamer movie less memorable than a theatrical experience. While there's been some really enjoyable ones (Extraction for example), more are flush-and-forget than not.

End rant and on to the movie itself...

Really enjoyed it. Damon, Bateman, Ben, and Viola Davis (MJ's pick) all deliver. Fun watch and had a good pace to it. If you like 80s music or 80s movie soundtracks, you're in for a real treat. This one is loaded with some good ones.

I was wondering how they'd handle casting MJ and the role that character would have. Think they went about it the right way.

It was probably my second favorite movie that Ben directed. Nothing else he does will ever compete with The Town.

13. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    So often when I'm watching a movie, I start thinking, "Damn. This should be a mini-series." But I agree that not everything has to or should be that.

14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I'd love to see it, too. Haven't gotten to yet.

15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Not trying to stir up heated and nasty political **** here, so if anyone has a comment please keep it civil. Same with the transgender men competing in women’s sports topic.

But Richard Dreyfus as an artist expresses some compelling outrage in a The Hollywood Reporter interview on how over the top things are getting. Who knew THIS was happening in the best picture category starting in 2024? Just stumbled on it in my Apple News a couple minutes ago.

https://apple.news/AwywYcCIPQnCZKoM-CalV9Q

I hope you can read his comments but there may be a pay wall. Later when am on a computer if anyone wants maybe I’ll copy paste if needed. He is talking about this.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...oscars-will-take-full-effect-in-2024-4056888/

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I saw Evil Dead. I enjoyed it.

I don't think it was a great film, but it did mix some fairly scary, mostly dreadful, stuff with some very funny stuff. I laughed out loud at one point. There were a lot of sympathetic characters in this one.

I think the whole theater looked away during the cheese grater scene. I know I did.

Helljumper likes this.
  17. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Haven’t seen it yet, and have never seen any of the other Evil Dead movies. But generally sensed some buzz about this one on the internet and have been meaning to check it out.

I really gotta get off my a** and make better use of my Regal Unlimited pass. Haven’t been to the theaters since Avatar 2 even though I generally love going to the movies and there have been SEVERAL movies this year I’ve wanted to see on the big screen.

Speaking of which, following up on horror movies, anyone seen “Beau is Afraid” starring Joaquin Phoenix? I’m not even sure if it’s more of a horror movie or comedy, but it’s directed by Ari Aster who directed two of my favorite horror adjacenct movies of the past decade (maybe of all time) in Hereditary and Midsommar

trodgers likes this.
  18. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I enjoyed both flicks. I think Aster is a pretty awesome director. Midsommar is a masterpiece. I'm less sure about hereditary, but it was definitely unnerving.

19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I had not seen that yet, but it's not surprising. It's almost impossible to watch anything including Star Wars movies without agendas being pushed. Overall, it's quite unnecessary and disappointing. Who wants to have that shoved in your face all the time. Let people's private lives remain their private lives.

20. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Saw The Creator today. Mixed review from me:

Positives:
    Amazing visuals for a relatively low budget film
    Fully realized SciFi future world
    Great acting by the little girl who played Alphie

Negatives:
    Disjointed story
    Over the top bad guys with no real depth
    Strange main theme
    AI is the hero of the movie and humans are the bad guys?!?