Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by John3:16, Oct 6, 2014.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I watched Mother! before it expired off Hulu. Holy s*** that movie is messed up and makes you feel uneasy the entire time. I felt like I understood some of where it was going during, but it was only after when I read an explanation did I fully appreciate it.

I also got some Redbox rentals. Joker, I liked it, but I didn’t think it was amazing as it was built up to be. Definitely disturbing though, and a good commentary on mental health and our society. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, not my favorite Tarantino movie, but still really good as all his films are, very funny and excellent acting. Ad Astra, slow build and the narration felt odd to me, but Brad Pitt really carried it and I thought it had some very good ideas and was entertaining enough.

Savory Griddles and trodgers like this.
  3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I’ve made it a 2020 resolution to make sure I get more bang for my buck out of my Regal Unlimited Pass.

Impractical Jokers: Wasn’t sure what I was getting into but wanted to support the guys since I’m a fan of the show. If you like the show, you’ll definitely have some good laughs... but overall I have to say it is not a good movie. If I didn’t watch the show, I could see it being the kind of movie that I’d leave half way through. Of course the challenges are intended to be cringy, but the overall plot and some of the meta-jokes between the crew are pretty cringeworthy too

The Invisible Man: This was really good. Haven’t felt this tense watching a movie in a while and thought it was a cool modern take on the concept. Great performance by Elizabeth Moss and overall some really well shot horror scenes and an intriguing plot.

1917: I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. On paper it is excellent and I can’t deny the technical prowess on display. It’s clear why it won for Best Cinematography. In some ways though, that drew me out of it. I kept thinking how impressive the camerawork was... but that made me realize I was watching something being filmed. Still a really good movie, I just don’t think I went in with the right mood or expectations.

trodgers and Weezy like this.
  4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The Way Back with Ben Affleck was outstanding.
    Took a turn half way through that really made it tug at your heart strings and put his situation in perspective.

Very solid 4 out of 5.

trodgers and Weezy like this.
  5. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Hmm, I might have to check it out then. It has received good reviews. I’ll be honest when I first saw the trailer I thought it was a parody of sports movies though, came across as very generic and cookie cutter.

Going back to my last comment about 1917, even though I was a bit underwhelmed after leaving the theaters, it’s been stuck in my head since then. Really was a unique and powerful movie. I might try to find a theater that’s still showing it on one of the larger screens to watch it again.

John3:16 likes this.
  6. Weezy

I just watched Soul on Disney+. I haven’t seen a lot of new movies in 2020, but I think this was my favorite, the first one that stood out to me at all. Though the film and its message were beautiful, the concept itself felt fresh, and the visuals were some of the most interesting Pixar has ever done.

7. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I lol’d at the Knicks joke.

8. Weezy

I laughed the hardest (that I can remember) at that, and the poor cat’s soul riding up the ramp to the great beyond and letting out one confused meow.

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Here was the 2020 releases I watched:
    Bad Boys For Life
    Spencer Confidential
    Bloodshot
    Postcard Killings
    Trolls World Tour
    Extraction
    The Way Back
    Birds of Prey
    Scoob
    The Hunt
    Invisible Man
    Force of Nature (not the Ben one, Mel is in this one)
    Tenant
    Fantasy Island
    Call of the Wild
    The Rental
    You Should Have Left
    Fatman
    Ava
    Wonder Woman 1984

Fave 6 (couldn't narrow to 5) in no order: Tenant, Invisible Man, Extraction, Fatman, The Way Back, Bad Boys

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and John3:16 like this.
  10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Watched Space Jam (on HBO, no way I buy movie tickets for it). Painfully bad. The first 20 minutes of the movie is essentially a nonstop ego stroke for Lebron. Then it serves as a product placement vehicle for all of Warner Brothers intellectual properties. None of the charm of the original.

TIME likes this.
  11. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I finally saw Wonder Woman 1984 on TV the other day. Wow, was that a let down after the first film. Horribad. Green Lantern level bad. No, worse.

alam1108, Kenzo and Savory Griddles like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

It wasn't just a bad movie. Even more alarming was they totally glossed over the completely unethical actions of WW willing to wish a man out of existence in order to have Trevor back...which was completely unnecessary. Why not just have Trevor reappear? Why do the whole body snatcher thing? Imagine if you switch the sexes and it was Batman doing that with an old flame. The uproar would have probably resulted in 50-100 people never working in Hollywood again.

Kenzo and TIME like this.
  13. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I watched Space Jam and loved some of the real basketball history reference, like Bobby Knight's chair throwing and Jimmy Valvano's trying to find someone to hug after the game winning shot. Kind of endearing

TIME likes this.
  14. IE Lakers

IE Lakers - Lakers 6th Man -

Ooh mama. Just saw the new Matrix trailer.

This incurable Matrix dork knows what he's gonna see Xmess Day.

JSM and TIME like this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Glad they went a whole different route and approach to this one. Whether it'll be a good movie or not is TBD, but I'm just glad they didn't continue to try the story from 3.

The original is a masterpiece and one of the most influential action films in past 25 years. It changed how action was filmed for awhile and if you were lucky enough to see it in theaters, you realized it was a cinematic event. One of my favorite theatrical experiences. That said, two was really bad with still a few strong action set pieces. Three was Devean George caliber s***. Sickening.

I'll be there opening weekend in Dolby to see this one. Hoping for something other than a money grab from the studio. Putting faith in Keanue Wick to not disappoint.

TIME likes this.
  16. Weezy

To me it looks like they are continuing the story from 3. This video is pretty much what I got from the trailer. I’m actually one of those rare people that really likes the sequels.

IE Lakers likes this.
  17. Savory Griddles

I wasn't too upset after two because I thought they had a more interesting finale coming in three. But to me, three just turned into a standard sci-fi battle with humans shooting robots. I'm willing to give it a shot, but I've already read rumors that
    they are going to switch it out so Neo is no longer The One and it will be Trinity....because 2021.

18. IE Lakers

Me too. I like all three. But I had to do a LOT of reading into philosophy and religions to understand what they were getting at. My background in Eastern thought also helped. It still took me a while, but I eventually grew to like and appreciate 2 and 3. I still see new things when I watch them today, which is what I like about good films.

I look at 1 like it’s the main piece of work, and 2 and 3 like souped up footnotes and appendices to 1.

Thats a thought-provoking vid too. Thx Weezy

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  19. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Dune is the only movie that interests me. I love Lynch's vision of that story, but I'm very excited. Been waiting a long while for this.

20. IE Lakers

Dune is definitely on my list.

Savory Griddles, TIME and trodgers like this.