Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by John3:16, Oct 6, 2014.

1. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

^
    The wormhole was closed? That makes no sense then. The nearest large galaxy to us is Andromeda which is 2.5 mil light years away. Which means even if traveling at the speed of light, which they are not anywhere close to, it would take them 2.5 mil years to reach. That would be practically impossible. The wormhole is the only tangible way from them to reach anything outside of our galaxy.

2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

^What Ras said.
    The only thing that might explain it would be if Cooper arrived in our galaxy through a black hole that was connected to the one in Brand's galaxy, and he wanted to try to take that back.

3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student

4. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Still doesn't make sense to me. They would never feasibly get to her or the new planet without a wormhole. But with the new gravitational knowledge they have saved humanity in that giant space ship so I guess where they go from there is up to them and what they can find. Then again, the nearest star to us is 4 light years away so they're going to be on that spaceship for a long time.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  5. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Looks good to me...

TIME likes this.
  6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I watched the movie, Edge of Tomorrow, the other night and holy cow I loved it! Very cool, interesting movie that left me thinking a lot afterwards.

Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt were great

trodgers and Barnstable like this.
  7. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Yeah, I enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow.

8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Finally saw Interstellar. It's fantastic. I don't get why it's getting bashed by some people. I thought it was great.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  9. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Saw Exodus: Gods and Kings. Hoped for the best since I like Both Bale and Ridley Scott. Bad movie. Good special effects, but bad story line, bad acting, and bad writing.

10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Did they take crazy liberties with the store or something? How could they mess up the story line?

11. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    It looked ridiculously awful. I was thinking the upside would be Noah.

12. therealdeal

How could the movie be so bad? Isn't it just a remake?

13. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah, they changed almost everything in the story. Really unnecessary, because the original story as written would make a very interesting movie. Just a couple of examples.

Instead of God sending Moses as a prophet to deliver Israel from Egypt, the movie has him being chosen because he is a great general. He then proceeds to train the Israelites in the arts of war and they start a guerrilla war against Pharaoh.

"God" appears to Moses throughout the movie as a 10 year old petulant boy. They are constantly irritating each other throughout the movie.

The climax involves Moses and Pharaoh facing off against each other where the Red Sea was. Just one on one. The water overwhelms both of them and both nearly drown but both survive.

None of those examples has anything to do with the Bible story of the Exodus.

On top of that, the dialogue was often ridiculous, Bale speaks with his English accent throughout, and the acting was mostly over the top.

14. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Geez, what a terrible edited story. Not going to lie when I first heard this movie was being made I got really excited and was hoping they would make it as close as possible to the Bible. Then reading the reviews and then this, its sort of disgusting how they changed so many things.

15. Helljumper

Student
    Over the past week, I saw The Hobbit and The Interview. I enjoyed both of them. I thought the action in The Hobbit was some of the best in the series. The Interview was a bit disappointing but I still found myself consistently laughing the whole way through.

16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I saw "Let's Be Cops" last night. I'll say right from the start that it's not a good film, in part because of how ludicrously implausible (but that should be apparent from the premise). Two loserish guys (one unemployed who used to be a start QB for Purdue, one a game designer who doesn't stand up for himself) dress up as police for a part, and then they end up pretending to be police, stopping a crime, and getting in way over their heads. Up to there it was perhaps plausible. What happens later is more ridiculous. But I'll say this: Marlon Wayans Jr. was really funny; he has great comedic timing and instincts like his dad, who is always watchable. And I laughed a lot at the film, maybe too much. I consider this film a poor man's Grandma's Boy. Worth a watch if you just want to laugh and not think too much.

17. therealdeal

The Hobbit was incredibly disappointing. I hated it and I'm a long-time lover of Tolkien and his writings. It had none of the same charm as the original series, not a scrap of it.

Saw Foxcatcher last night and it was really good. I thought it wasn't as great as people make it out to be, but it was certainly compelling and interesting. I'd give it an 8/10 which is great considering the odd cast.

18. Helljumper

Student
    Well what did you think of the first two Hobbit movies? I thought the first one was slow, but I've enjoyed the characters and found the last 2 movies very entertaining. I haven't read the books though so I'm sure the movies were disappointing compared to those.

Unrelated, I just got The Hobbit and the entire LotR series on my Kindle. Which one should be read first?

19. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Did anyone else give Tusk a shot? I had high hopes for the movie at least being creepy as hell with intelligent dialogue. The first 3/4 were just that. Then, when the full transformation takes place, it's like, "oh now that's just stupid" and then the ending just sucked and was cheesy and lame and ugh. Damn, that first 3/4 though was on pace to be one of my favorite horror flicks.

trodgers likes this.
  20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Yeah, but I felt like it was only the first 1/3 of the movie that held my interest. After that it was completely asinine. Massive disappointment.