More Manna From Heaven Than KCP .... Lock Castleton Up For Three Years With A Rookie Contract

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LTLakerFan, Jul 9, 2023.

?

We should sign him now and hope for the 3rd year TO instead of PO before he blows up all season long

1. Agree

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Disagree

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I'm not West but I've seen enough. He's probably going to want a PO on year three and then we can extend him with LeBron off the books. How many GMs are watching him in SL just with what he's shown so far, getting better and more comfortable every game ..... and knowing they passed on him in the 2nd round. Cost controlled and our scouts and FO are geniuses.

2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I could be wrong, but I’m under the impression that we can’t sign him to more than a 2 year minimum contract.

The new CBA exception that allowed us to sign Lewis for 4 years only applies to second round picks.

Only way it would be possible for a longer deal would be if his year 1 minimum salary is less than the remaining MLE we have. I’m not sure if that’s the case, it might be. Then we could use the rest of the MLE to sign him to a longer deal. But then we lose the advantage that would give us on the buyout market.

Overall Castleton has been very impressive, but I just don’t see the need to rush into a deal with him after a few summer league games. He’s already on a two-way contract and eligible to play 50 regular season games for us. IMO we should sign a more experienced center and see how things shake out. If Castleton continues to be so impressive that we need him for more than 50 regular season games, then sign him to the 15th roster spot at that point.

3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah I'm The Castle's #1 fan but I like him on the 2 way contract and starting for our G-League team this year. Continue to develop the body and be ready when AD eventually has his inevitable mid-season injury.

4. LTLakerFan

Thanks for the correction on can’t do a 3 year if not drafted and it not being like a 2nd round pick, if that’s correct. I wanted to try to be shrewd and try to get a team option rather than player option for that 3rd year. Just sign him for 2 years before the season is over then like we did Reaves and have him eligible for the playoffs.

Colin is a baller, like Reaves, who has high IQ and happens to be a 7 footer with a huge wingspan who is going to play well BOTH sides of the ball. Reaves went against college competition and all the more beastlier players at his position for 4 years. Colin did the same for 5 years. He was leading Florida in scoring, blocks and I think they said rebounding his senior year until he injured his hand.

5. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I’m fine with either way. Sign him now: great!
    Let him get as many reps as possible sharing his time between South Bay and the Big Team: great as well. I’m guessing the latter is what happens since that’s what usually happens with 2-way guys that make the move up.

6. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Well looking at the Lewis contract, seems like it starts year 1 at $1.1 million

I think that means that Castleton would start at the same figure, so we COULD use the remaining MLE to sign Castleton to a 4 year deal (don’t quote me on that though lol)

I still think it makes sense to hold off on that. While we do want to build for the future, we’re also in a “win now” mode. I’d rather have someone with more experience at that position and slowly build up Castleton, plus I don’t want to forego the advantage we’d have in the mid-season buyout market.

But if the FO did end up deciding on using that MLE remainder to lock Castleton up for 4 years, I wouldn’t be mad. I would trust that they’ve seen enough to have that level of confidence. It’s possible Castleton would provide you the best win now value (compared to the remaining scape of free agency) AND give you a future building block

7. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Hey. This one is mine!!!

8. LTLakerFan

You have to share Buddy!

:ADnaughty:

9. LTLakerFan

AND …. we STILL have DLO at the deadline plus whomever to dangle for a disgruntled “difference maker” over what we have on that DEEP roster.

:Magic Brows:

Cookie likes this.
  10. LTLakerFan

So what’s wrong with locking him up now with as long a rookie contract as possible, and STILL signing Wood or Biyombo, with Colin getting as much time as needed in the G-League for all you nervous nellies? Still have OPTIONS at the deadline additionally with DAR. And you’re not his biggest fan or you’d vote sign him now. I’m sharing that with @Toklat and @ZenMaster . :D

Toklat and ZenMaster like this.
  11. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Sign him for 10 years now...

LTLakerFan and Toklat like this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think if we use the 15th spot now, we’re in luxury tax territory. If we stay below the threshold, we may avoid the repeater tax and reset that.

if that’s true, there is a HUGE financial incentive to keep him on the 2 way contract for Now

13. LTLakerFan

OK, that is an argument if true I will listen to. But they should realize how EXTREMELY fortunate they are to again have had the Scouts find them a complete gem, and AR's agent for directing him to the Lakers, with high praise comparing him to how happy we have been with Austin ..... rather than accept any of the other 2-way offers. And if he performs as well as those of us feel he will when given chances with the Varsity after the appropriate time of training and G-League play, as needed, then they need to have him available for the playoffs and lock him up.

14. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

Careful LT, the nervous nellies might quit quivering long enough to attack in mass and there are plenty of them...lol. They are cool with a minimum dude that has proven he isn't very good and limited to one end of the court or the other but putting a young athletic guy with good basketball IQ and is able to play both ends of the court with tons of upside is just downright foolishness. Captain as a rookie, he sucks! hasn't paid his dues, he can't possibly contribute, his ceiling is that of a floor, if it isn't broken don't fix it, he is too skinny, he shoots some crazy shot, how dare he try something different than everyone else. I apologize to whoever spouted some worn out cliché I forgot to mention...lol.

ZenMaster and LTLakerFan like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

There was like one guy over on LG that initially stated flat out he wasn't going to be good, because he didn't go to his left enough. But even he after this last game did something Slick never does, and admitted he could be wrong, if the kid could work on and be OK going to his left. Over here it's a bunch and they sound offended at the thought he could be that good of a find who just possibly, like skinny Reaves, and skinny Christie, after not that impressive Summer Leagues .... were both able to contribute in year one on the Varsity ..... might be able to do that too.

Cookie likes this.
  16. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I don't think Castleton will play in the playoffs and that's a good thing if it happens
    I expect him to carve a role the year after and if so we can extend him

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    If I’m him, I wouldn’t accept a 4 year contract. I’d bet on myself to be worth far more than the minimum in a year.

Cookie, ZenMaster and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

Yeah I agree and am sure his same agent knows Austin is underpaid by the circumstances not getting the more lucrative other team offer more worth his value compared to all the other big money being handed out, because everyone knew we’d match. And because the Lakers were capped at what they could give him, and from “not” betting on himself with just one year and a PO on the 2nd to hit bigger money quicker. But 4 years at those 12+ millions guaranteed I think is smart as he’s playing International Team USA ball this year too and why risk losing a lot of money with those extra 2 years guaranteed with a bad luck possibly career altering injury.

19. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Is there a correlation in LT starting an extra Castleton thread to him sucking today? I think so, jinxboy @LTLakerFan :Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

20. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    To be fair, Castleton was pretty good for "sucking". He still led the team in Rebounds and Assists. If you want suck, maybe consider Max Lewis who had zeros in 20 minutes.

But, yeah, we don't really need a second Castleton thread.

Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.