Metta World Peace Discussion: All aboard the Peace train!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Doc Brown, Aug 24, 2015.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Hey, I remember this guy!!! [​IMG]

2. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    This guy u say huh

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  3. Tragic

Tragic - Rookie -

ClubLakers class of '04
    this lol

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Damn it Woj, why'd you have to tease me with this. As irrational as this is, now I really want it to happen!

LTLakerFan and Barnstable like this.
  5. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Thinking about Ron Ron brought back memories of this: Maybe there's a sequel

BigDan24, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  6. sirronstuff

A case for NOT bringing Metta Back. The part in RED is what several have brought up on here.

Link to article below
    The Lakers shouldn't bring Metta World Peace back, even if he's a fan favorite

He might be a fan favorite, but bringing Metta World Peace back at this point doesn't make much sense for the Lakers.

An unexpected Woj bomb hit Lakerland Monday night. Metta World Piece, proverbial friend of the Pandas, may be reuniting with the Purple and Gold next season. Discussions between the Lakers and World Peace remain informal and preliminary. However, if the team does bring back the mercurial member of its 2010 championship squad, it's worth considering just how he would fit within the roster at large.

The Rationale

Bringing back Metta makes sense at a basic level. The Lakers are short on legitimate small forwards outside of newly drafted rookie Anthony Brown. Kobe Bryant and Nick Young are currently projected to spend large amounts of time at the three, but the team could use an extra body to round out that position's depth. Up to this point it has been my hope that Jonathan Holmes and Anthony Brown, when not in the D-league, would function in this role due to their youth and upside.

In addition, Metta could spend time as a small ball power forward. Ron is strong enough to handle the responsibilities of a power forward but quick enough to keep up with stretch fours on defense. He's a career 34.1 percent three-point shooter and has the ability to stretch the floor on offense. As the league trends toward more pace and space lineups, Ron could serve a somewhat-useful role within that mold.

Redundancy

Bringing Metta back on a non-guaranteed one-year deal could significantly increase competition at training camp, His presence could also provide some "toughness" tutelage for some of the younger players like Julius Randle. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with that, but the front office supposedly already made free agent acquisitions to serve this need.

World Peace has worked out with Randle at the Lakers practice facility, noting how strong the returning rookie was. However, Brandon Bass was theoretically already brought in to do a lot of this type of work. Bass was positioned as a reasonable level of competition for minutes at power forward while helping mentor the second-year prospect.

The real consequence of World Peace's added presence would simply be an additional level of competition for playing time throughout the roster.

Too many mouths to feed

For whatever merits bringing World Peace back might serve in a general sense, the potential negatives far outweigh them. The Lakers already have a surplus of power forwards vying for time. While I don't mind the Brandon Bass signing, I was already wary of it potentially cutting into Randle's playing time or supplanting him from the starting lineup altogether. Bringing in World Peace as a potential stretch four would further cut into Julius' minutes.

Even if World Peace were brought in to function exclusively as a small forward, it would still have adverse effects. Metta could potentially spell Kobe at the three and shift him back down to his natural shooting guard position. However, this would bite into D'Angelo Russell's playing time and cost him much needed minutes during his rookie campaign, and would also trickle into Jordan Clarkson's minutes. World Peace would probably not spend all that much time on the floor if he were to be signed and make the roster. However, there are simply too many mouths to feed already at the positions he is best posited for.

This season's chief goal isn't a deep playoffs run or to make the playoffs at all, frankly. The franchise desperately needs to develop the team's new young core of Randle, Clarkson, and Russell. That means dedicating playing time to the core and allowing them to grow while making mistakes together.

I simply don't trust Byron Scott to allow that process to occur if he has a Ronnie Price-type asset available to him, in the form of Metta World Peace, to provide veteran minutes. There were far too many games last season when Scott elected to play veterans for elongated stretches at the cost of minutes for younger players.

World Peace is 35 years old and nowhere near his former Defensive Player of the Year level. His durability is questionable at best and he played in only 29 games during his last NBA season, despite the proper shape he appeared to be in during this summer's Nike Drew League exhibition games in Los Angeles.

It simply doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to bring Metta back at a time when developing the team's core is by far the biggest priority of the season. Metta will always be a fan favorite, but here's hoping the front office passes on World Peace this season.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ Very fair argument Sirronstuff. Personally I just feel like we are incredibly weak at the position that Ron has historically played - SF. While it's true that Byron might be tempted to put him at PF, we have a ton of players there and I would hope he would resist that temptation.

Mainly I just think we need another veteran presence or two. We have a projected starting lineup of two rookies (Randle hasn't played a single NBA game) and one second year player, plus Kobe playing out of position. While I want us to develop our young guys primarily, we can't overlook that it's potentially Kobe's last season ever and that we need to win games in order to appear attractive to some other top tier FA's this summer.

I think overall with what MWP brings to the table he could really help us this year. Past that I don't know.

JSM, Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah my only thought is "can he help teach these kids?"

If your answer is yes, then bring him on board. I believe strongly that the Lakers would sign him tomorrow if he was on board with being a terrific practice body who gets limited minutes. I think Metta is the one who wants to play more so is hesitant to sign here. I'm sure he feels he's got more to offer than being a bench warmer/practice body.

I'm not worried about Byron because Jim and Mitch's comments all summer have been about moving on to these young guys and getting the next era rolling. I don't see us over playing anyone, even Kobe.

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I think the answer to the first question is an easy Y-E-S. the fact that he's working with Randle definitely supports that.

I think in his mind he has a couple years of basketball left, whether that's here or China. But at the same time, I still see him as a Laker and I think he sees himself the same way. Not as a Knick. Not as a...whatever the team's name is he played for in China. He's a Laker. He lives in LA, he is still around every chance he gets. He's on good terms with management and Kobe. He loves the fan base.

I think the love he has for the team/city/fans + it being home off sets the MPG he's looking for to a degree. And I'm sure Scott would be up front with him. You want those minutes? Earn them. If he can turn back the clock and can contribute 30 MPG, good for him. We aren't seriously developing anything at SF who will ever start in the NBA, so if his stars align, he's not doing us any damage. We need to put a winning product on the floor anyhow. Now everyone knows that's not happening. I think at best, 15 MPG and a fun season of ups and downs, highlights and cringe worthy lowlights is what we can expect. But his contributions when he's not in the game would be invaluable. Even if he never says a word to the rooks or works with Randle again, just them being able to see the level of preparation and intensity he brings to practice and to the game itself is something that when dialed in can even impress Kobe.

10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

11. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    amen to this

12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Reading Pincus tweets, he is saying there is a 'real chance' that we sign Metta...

lakerjones likes this.
  13. sirronstuff

14. LTLakerFan

Do it Mitch, and then put his locker right next to Upshaw's if he has one.

sirronstuff and Barnstable like this.
  15. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Can't we just bring him in as a player development coach? I love Metta, but dude was done his last season with us. He couldn't make a 3 to save his life, he was missing layups, and he only had the occasional awesome defensive hustle play in him. I'd kinda rather take a chance on Upshaw, something to build for the future. I'd love for Metta to be around to teach these guys some D and some toughness, but not really at the expense of a roster spot.

16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I'm all for this in theory, but we don't have any roster spot for him. I mean, we already are going to be cutting players if we want to make a spot for Upshaw.

17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Don't think he's ready for that. He might be in a few years, but that's 3 years of lost development we don't have to throw away. It's a give and take way of satisfying both parties. What he can do for Randle, the team intensity, attitude, toughness, and defensive culture he brings (even if he can't stop anyone anymore) is well worth a roster spot and is 10x more valuable than whoever else is in contention for a final roster spot.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

19. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

That's what I would expect. Do it, Mitch!

lakerjones and sirronstuff like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

Throw Upshaw in too, not so much for BBall skills as their games are so different, but about life and how to channel that aggression and rebel tendencies in the NBA to be able to have a long career. He played with Odom and won a championship with him and has also seen first hand what happened to him because of mental weakness (following failed C. Paul trade) and also substance abuse, and Ron came from mean streets growing up.

sirronstuff likes this.