Media Day 2016

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by unpossibl1, Sep 23, 2016.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i thought his comments in ding's article were actually dumber. the bit about the best coaches are players' coaches. they know that we know everything. just classic 20 year old cluelessness. really misguided take on walton's similar comment, imo.

russell's interviews have never inspired confidence. ingram is much better in this regard, imo, to inject some positivity.

LTLakerFan and Barnstable like this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  3. sirronstuff

4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I don't get it...

He said, and I am paraphrasing: "I feel like 90% of what coaches learn is from us - the players".

This statement is:

1. not dumb
    2. probably pretty correct

I have never been a coach, but I've been a technical authority figure at my place of work for the better part of the last decade, where a big part of my job description is to mentor the developers and other technical personnel, so... yeah - you do learn a lot from them, especially from the good ones.

I would imagine, if asked, Pop and Phil would both say that they learned A LOT from players. What other way there is? Watching film of other coaches? Still, basically, watching the players.

This is how I took it. Also, just let him be 20... for Pete's sake.

P.S.

Oh, and by the way, Ingram's interviews are all incredibly boring and all basically boil down to the following:

1. Work hard
    2. I do want to start, but don't mind to work for it
    3. D'Angelo has been great
    4. Luke has been great

5. sirronstuff

5. Says Of Course a lot

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  6. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

Phew, after a long day at the Lakers practice facility, I've got a TON to write about. Here's some of the cool moments while I was there:

- Tarik Black was amazing for a number of reasons, going to be writing about him tomorrow. Very well-spoken, ended each interview by saying "Thank you for the opportunity" and shaking the hand of each reporter.
    -The championship trophies were out. Each has its own individual case.
    - Got to be there when Marcelo Huertas was informed about his "Catalyst" nickname. He was cool with it, thinks it's funny that players have nicknames in the US like "Flash" or "Mamba"
    - Jose Calderon was very relieved to be in a backup role. Told me he doesn't want to have to play 30 minutes anymore. Was excited for the weather in LA after being in NY.
    - Anthony Brown expects to have a better year shooting the ball.
    - Just about every player had something to say about how much more relaxed things are with Luke. Heard the term "disciplinarian" used more than once to describe Byron.
    - Thomas Robinson has worked on his finishing a lot, thinks he has an opportunity with the Lakers.
    - Ivica Zubac had a great story about the sky hook that I'll be writing about. Also said that he learned post moves by watching YouTube clips of Hakeem and Marc Gasol.
    - Tarik Black said he would have considered coming back to the Lakers even if Byron was still the coach because he doesn't run from challenges.

Posted some photos to my FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/trevorlaneNBA/

7. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

DUDE. I AM DYING!!!!!! I cant stop laughing, HAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  8. BDG

BDG - Rookie -

To everyone piling on D'Angelo for the Kobe comment please actually watch the interview in context.

Starts about 1:25 here:

Harmless comment

Weezy, TIME, alam1108 and 2 others like this.
  9. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

UGh, new name, same crap. They are still reading stupid a** Tweets on the program.

10. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

What was with James Worthy reclining during the interviews? He looked drunk and a complete j******.

ZenMaster likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yes Tarik was great in his interview I saw and with his attitude. Very impressed with him.

12. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    [​IMG]

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

[​IMG]

13. LTLakerFan

OK finally watched him say the words that were reported with the tweet and quite honestly it was exactly like it seemed when I read the tweet. Serena had him follow up on the night and day difference between Media day last year and this year he had just commented and what he replied was definitely about Kobe. He wasn't talking about Byron at that point. He hadn't even practiced for Byron yet. He clarified saying there wasn't animosity in the room or with the squad this year because everyone (media?, team?) didn't have to see what Kobe wanted or was thinking. This year it is about the young guys. It was even worse to me hearing the words clearly come out of his mouth right after the 1.25 mark. BUT I will get over it if HIS s*** is truly together this year and he plays as good as he thinks he is.

I also remember how even more beyond pissed I and we all were with Kobe at the start of last season jacking up shots like he was out of his f****** mind, and NOT being the great mentor and leader for the young guys we all expected him to be. Can only guess he was just being Kobe, doing everything he could to "shoot" himself out of his slump.

But that was not Serena's follow up question. It was about the night and day reference to this year's "Media" day.

14. LTLakerFan

Further the way he keeps talking how it's different this year and now going to be about the "young guys" could raise the eyebrows of teammates there this year that you know he is not considering to be "young guys". If they aren't quality vets and people who are willing to take what keeps flying out of his mouth in that regard with a grain of salt.

15. ZenMaster

I think at this point it has been delivered to anyone that Lakers are about development. If you listen to the interviews from Calderon, Mozgov and Deng - the theme of helping the young guys is central to their being there.

So... it is about the young guys. And we are all better for it.

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, disagree. your interpretation of the quote is sort of odd, imo. when tyronn lue was watching film this summer, it was of rick carlisle's out of bounds plays, not wes matthews' improvisations therein. the angle that you don't watch coaches is a non sequitur. luke's comment was about having a give and take with the players, russell's was about players really driving things. sort of the anti-byron, but just as silly. this is all if you can get past an inexperienced young player telling us about coaching philosophy.

good. keep it coming. if dlo said the same things, i'd be much happier. i'm also going to be much more forgiving of ingram's play because he's not drawing undue attention to himself with his chatter.

17. ZenMaster

Well... I disagree. I don't know how you'd be able to check it, but I stand by my claim on what Pop and Phil would say. If you want to be Lue - you watch Carlisle. If you want to be Pop - that is all common knowledge, now you have to "learn from within".

Granted, I don't think this is what DAR meant... I just think you are being too harsh.

18. LTLakerFan

Torch has been passed. From Kobe shots too much to DAR talks too much.

In the early years and his prime it was necessary for Kobe to do so with some of horrible teams we had following Shaq's going to Miami.

In his early years DAR just talks too much. "Show us", show the league. Just making things harder on yourself and in opposing arenas, and especially with the Media with 2/3 of them already hating you because you're a Laker and because of "Phonegate".

19. LTLakerFan

Sure it's about having the young guys grow hopefully into real good players. But it is also about Winning a bunch more games this year and regaining a level of respectability around the league. The vets were chosen because they still have game plus yes they have been known for being great teammates and I'm sure are willing to teach and help our young guys. It's in poor taste however IMO for DAR to be the one bringing it up about it being mostly about the young guys. He needs those Vets and some of the young guys him included are not able to do some of the things as well as the vets.....yet.

But I have total trust in Luke. If he sees DAR needs to be reigned in some with any kind of attitude problem (not saying he has one .... just talks too much) ..... then Luke is the right coach to modify his thinking with positive methods. Unlike Boron.

20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

We know Russell had a difficult rookie year, and we also know that he struggled at some points. No doubt. He also made some huge mistakes, but he's 20 years old. I'll give him a little latitude.

Check out Clarkson's comments by the way...

“He was the head man around here last year,” Clarkson said. “It’s just kind of one of those things where you’ve got to pay your homage to someone that’s been here, and he earned every right to what we did last year, with his farewell tour. We were kind of just along for the ride at the time, trying to get better.”

“Of course guys want to be a part of that stuff that happened last year in terms of the season and everything,” he said, “but some guys are kind of relieved and are happy about not having to see all that stuff and all that.”

Apparently, last year was not only difficult for Russell but some of the other players as well. Anyway, onward and upward, when Russell leads us to a few victories and has a breakout year, the sentiment will start to change around him.

Weezy and LTLakerFan like this.