Max Christie Discussion: FREE MAX!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 23, 2022.

1. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I'd keep him. Don't know the cost, but he's worth keeping. IMO

Cookie, TIME, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i truly have no idea what we're working with right now. i doubt anyone chases him hard though, for similar reasons.

i will say that he didn't jump off the page so much in his minutes that i was questioning why he wasn't playing in the playoffs, though.

guessing we'll sign him to a two-year low money deal (5-7 per as the guy suggested) with a player option or a bit more with a team option.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    Cookie, lakerjones, JSM and 1 other person like this.
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Darvin did a horrible job developing talent. He couldn't settle on any lineup though, so our young guys had no hope of regular minutes on this squad. Reason #321 why Ham has to go.

4. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    I agree, I feel like we could have done more to develop him.

Cookie, lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

It is hard to say for sure because Ham is so bad at so many things but to me this was his worst quality, though his top ten are close. He can't recognize talent so he can't develop it. He is visionless. A coach has to see in the future, Ham can't even see the present. But hey, it isnt his fault, just ask him. Max and Castle brought just what we needed and instead of developing them he actually broke Max down.

Cookie, TIME, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  6. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

That's interesting, considering that Reaves and Hachimura, both put up some career best numbers, this season.

I don't know what Max's ceiling is, but he hasn't exactly looked like the 2nd coming, of Caruso or Reaves to me. Castleton might not even make the roster next season.

I'd like to see what we can do with the two 2nd rd picks, we have in this upcoming draft.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  7. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

No one knows what Max's ceiling is and the incredibly poor coaching we had to endure didn't help shed any light on that. In the same light I have no idea what direction the team will take next season. This year's team could have benefitted from developing Max and Collin early on. Fortunately, it is looking the bone will be gone.

Cookie and TIME like this.
  8. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

Good information. But, what is the maximum amount he could sign for with another team, and what is the maximum amount we could offer him?

abeer3 likes this.
  9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

the bone? :KobeConfused:

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we can offer up to the mle, same as with reaves. if some team wanted to, they could poison pill him like everyone threatened with reaves, but nobody will--that would be nuts.

i think if we've probably got a standing offer at something just over the bae/tpmle to scare off all the unserious suitors. i don't think anyone will use the full mle on him, so i expect him back unless we make moves that would squeeze his development/opportunities.

oh, but to answer what others can offer him, it's somewhere around 4/100, like with reaves.

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

^^^ with the first two years capped around the MLE of course.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, that's the poison pill part.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I loved Max coming out of summer league but despite showing some flashes such as the Cleveland game, he's one guy who I think a lot of fans have rose colored glasses.

He was legit awful a lot of times he played - real dumb decision making, missing open makes. That being said he's a legit NBA athlete, he's a good rebounder, and the shot looks good at least. It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets. Still really young at 21 yo so hope for him still

pika1708 and abeer3 like this.
  14. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I don’t think Max was given enough burn to develop. He obviously wasn’t picked to be playable day one and Ham and his staff did an AWFUL job at developing him, as well as others.
    This is one of the reasons why Ham got cooked.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he's got a lot of tools. some folks take a while. do we have the patience? does someone else pony up a bet on his future? we'll see very soon.

imo, if he was going to be a big hit like reaves, we'd already know. so the question is if he's an alexander-walker/nesmith type who takes 3-4 years to develop into a very serviceable wing player.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  16. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Everyone can blame Ham but what was a coach supposed to do when the same player recklessly drives into set defenses 2-3 possessions in a row and gets his s*** rejected? Then the next time he gets burn out turns the ball over by just losing track of the ball in the air?

I was really really high on Max based on upon his summer league performance but I think a lot of fans because of overall frustration with Ham and the lack of defensive wing stoppers got fixated on Max as some guy who was somehow being screwed over when he was just legit bad out there for a lot of games.

He's really young so I'm not saying he can't develop into being a rotation player but he's not a guy like Caruso or AC who you know he's has it, it's going to take him a few years. In other words he's still a project so I'm not really sure what his market is.

17. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah I agree. He was killed on defense too.

He's definitely a future role player in the league, I'm sure. But his timeline is the opposite of ours.
    Are we going to burn 7M on a guy who isn't a top7, aka core rotation player, in the team? When we don't have many trading chips?
    I think we should re-sign but if we do so, it's to trade him. After Reaves and Rui, he's our best trading chip, higher than Vando or Gabe.
    We can ride with him as our 8th/9th player but it doesn't maximize the team. And for what? To get a future role player? Is it worth it?

It's just the fit. For example, he showed in SL he's good getting to his shot. But how much opportunities will he have in our rotation? Are we letting him go for his shot over LeBron? AD? DLo? Reaves? Rui? His role in our rotation for the next 2 years is to be a spot up shooter, that's not his strength and we are just hindering his development while he's giving us less than another guy who's better in that role. Tough one but I'm convincing myself that he's gone

Pioneer10 likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

this is what i said. i disagree with your assessment of his terrible play, though. he had good things, too, and probably as many or more than reddish--especially after the initial honeymoon period wore off and he became perimeter kwame brown.

he might be gone, but better teams find ways to turn these guys into assets. i guess you look at THT as a cautionary tale, but i look at the missed opportunities with beasley and bamba (mostly their contracts) and think--what's the point? if you're going to just let them walk for a relative pittance, why draft anyone ever? trade all the picks all the time. we have such little interest in real player development, and it's a trend that stretches back even to when we were rebuilding, sadly. everybody made strides once they left us. basically negating the scouting advantages that we definitely have had.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  19. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Agree with that. I mean, I think Max floor is not that far of Braun, Podz or Jaquez. Ceiling is higher than Braun and on the same range of the other 2. Yet, these guys played important roles on win now teams. But then you can argue on the opposite with Kuminga and Moody. When you need them to step up, it can fail. Was it worth it?

It's a tricky subject. I'm not entirely sure where I land.
    The most compelling argument I found is if it's worth it to do it considering the player's ceiling. I think it is if we're talking about a future key role player at worst. If we think Max can be that, we should keep him. If not, you trade him.
    But yeah, you absolutely sign him, it will be ridiculous if you lose him for nothing.

I think it's really hard to draft when you're contending. Even harder if you're constantly changing your personnel. It can work if you keep your core guys and you can draft a guy and work him for a specific role.
    But when you're drafting, the guy is always in a different timeline of yours, so the odds to become an important piece are super slim.

Last draft, out of top10 only Lively played the POs. (btw, the best 2nd rounder was Jackson-Davis, they are all g-league)
    2022: J-Dub (absolutely steal, top 3 of the class), Nembhardt, Braun
    2021: Trey Murphy, Herb Jones, McBride

It's really hard to hit. And only Braun is from a contender. Others were in teams where development is/was part of their strategy. You just can't give necessary burn (it's not only minutes and freedom for mistakes, is also playing them in the role they must be developed for the future, not the one you need in the present

Max was defending Kawhi and alike, acting like our wing stopper, poor guy lol

20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Beasley and Bamba being let go were two mistakes IMO. We could have used those salary slots at least. That's that being cheap s*** , that we do.