Mannix: Q&a With Mitch

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 18, 2015.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Attached Files:

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

That was a great Q&A. Thanks for sharing.

3. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Interesting that Mitch doesnt plan to talk to Kobe about what he wants to do after his contract is up this season.

4. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I think that is a strategic signal Mitch is sending to potential FAs that we are no longer Kobe-centric and we are building a new team for the future. When the time comes, Mitch will talk to Kobe to see if he wants to sign on for a couple of more years at a reduced salary.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I'm thinking it's strategic for all parties too. If Kobe doesn't commit, he can see how he feels after the year and make his choice then. Not just him though, he can see how everyone else feels. Maybe there's rumors that someone will only come here if Kobe IS here and if that guy is Kevin Durant, maybe something can be worked out for all parties. It's just keeping your options open.

In the end though I think he'll end up retiring this summer. Twenty years is a long time and he's gone through a lot these last few years. If he makes it through the year and we're in the playoff push, I think he calls it a career. If he doesn't make it through the year, I think he concedes defeat to father time. Maybe the only way I see him sticking around is a perfect storm of: we were somewhat competitive AND he made it through the year feeling great and still being productive AND we're able to upgrade the roster in 2016 to a significant degree that he feels he can contribute to AND he still feels like a top player in the NBA.

6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I think the "Perfect Storm" as you put it actually has a decent chance of happening. If we sign, say, Tobias Harris and draft Okafor, that gives us a couple massive upgrades at center and sf. We also may get upgrades at guard with Clarkson and pf with Randle depending how they come out of the gate. I think the team will make enough progress this season that we will be one good FA away from 4-5 seed contention at which point Kobe will likely believe anything is possible.

The landscape of the West could be completely different a year from now. Durant may be in the East with the Wizards. Aldridge could be on a number of teams shifting power. DeAndre may be gone from the Clippers. The Spurs may be Leonard and Pop...with no one else.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  7. therealdeal

It does definitely smell like a changing of the guard which the Lakers have generally powered through. Once Duncan retires, San Antonio will need a rebuild. I'm REALLY hoping DeAndre leaves the Clippers because we'd be looking at their immediate decline. Portland without LaMarcus is mired in mediocrity. I think the hold overs for the next few years are Dallas, Memphis, Golden State, and Houston. The rest of the West will be in flux. Within two years I could see us being at least competitive with teams like Portland, OKC (assuming Durant leaves), the Clippers, the Spurs and better than the rest. One wild card would be New Orleans and Anthony Davis...

Savory Griddles likes this.
  8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    This part of the interview tells me the most; that we are going to select a big man

Byron, as we all know from the beginning of last year, is still an old school coach who doesn't want to see a ton of 3 years if he doesn't have to. I think he'll prefer us taking a big man for sure. Then we have Mitch's answer to this question above where he still thinks a big man can still be as valuable as it used to be.

We have to be going with either Towns or Okafor, whoever is there for the taking.

therealdeal likes this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I actually would dump Dallas. They are in big trouble. If they don't land Aldridge, they have old (steep decline if last season is an indication) Dirk and maybe DeAndre? No draft picks...Memphis I think has MAYBE 2 more seasons before their bigs start to slide. It really may boil down to Golden State and the Rockets. And like you said, if The Brow can get ANY help, they will be there too.

10. therealdeal

Well the idea is Portland goes down so that Dallas can stay up. I don't think Aldridge stays in Portland. I hope DeAndre finds a new home otherwise the Clippers will be competitive for at least a few more years here. Memphis will stay relevant because their fighting style will keep them in games for a couple years past their prime. They just need a couple shooters.

Either way, the Lakers can push their way back into the conversation quickly if things shuffle this summer... That'd be nice.

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I agree. There probably going to go to a more post oriented offense.

12. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    Related to this article is another on S I about the Logo and what effects he's had on the GSWs that is quite a read. This off season the Laker front office will get to show how functional they are comparatively. I've been patient for the last few dysfunctional years but now need to see strength from Jim Buss, Mitch, the scouting department, and other valued advisers..... here's the link....

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/11/jerry-west-nba-finals-golden-state-warriors

TIME, LaVarBallsDad and therealdeal like this.