Malik Beasley Discussion: Free Agent

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by karacha, Feb 8, 2023.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

bertans and harris both got hurt in ways that had serious impact, iirc. beasley also had years of averaging 20ppg and was younger than any of those guys when he signed his contract. i don't know why he can't shoot here so far, but it would be pretty shocking if it continued, based on his career numbers and age. the comps you named are also all particularly unathletic (well, harris wasn't pre-injury).

so yeah, assuming beasley just is the player he's been for several years now, he's worth his contract. he just hasn't been in the small sample of games here so far.

if this continues, i'd just pick up his option and see what happens. worst case, you trade him as an expiring next year. had he hit the ground running, i'd be trying to sign him to an extension with a raise, tbh.

alam1108, VincePT and ElginTheGreat like this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I agree. I'd also like to see him with LeBron a bit more.

I definitely think he needs to shoot better, but I think the front office should be patient. We can definitely move his contract so I'm okay with giving this some time.

abeer3 and VincePT like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i remember when we traded for reggie bullock at the deadline, and he couldn't find a rhythm with the new team. and then he left and became a sharpshooter again a year later. there's no reason to believe right now that beasley won't be closer to his career percentage going forward.

4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Beasley was relatively same type of player in utah as you noted @abeer3....hes not hitting shots here, dont make any difference what he "use" to be

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

and Duncan Robinson? dont really consider his laker tenure as small sample sz and his defense is embarrassingly bad

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

similar, but he's shooting well in about 1/4 games here instead of closer to 1/2 games in previous stops. and some of his bad ones have been extra bad. and what one used to be is actually quite important...

16 games, almost all of which without lebron and a third of which without russell? i'll lean on the other 400 games he's played more heavily in terms of making predictions.

duncan robinson never had any seasons nearly as good as beasley's top 2 or 3.

your contention is that beasley suddenly forgot how to play offense at 26 years old (his defense has actually been better here, statistically speaking). i think that's a bad theory.

alam1108, Zoyd Wheeler and JSM like this.
  7. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

We've all been withering away from hunger for a 3-pt sharpshooter like seemingly every other team has at least one of. And then we get Malik. He fits the bill...and hasn't been hitting. It's tantalizing and very frustrating! So far...

Who knows what's going on with him. I suspect playing in Hollywood, with all the expectations, might have him a bit stiff. But his stats WILL regress - in this case: improve - to his own mean. It's gonna be fun to watch. I know he's been disappointing (so far), but there's very good reason to be confident he's going to start hitting his 3s. As abeer3 says, he doesn't just suddenly "forget how to play offense at 26 years old." I actually dig his game; his 3-ball isn't falling, but it WILL.

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Robinson shot 44% then 47% on solid volume, how is beasley better? as for beasley def, last night gm says otherwise. Beasley may not have forgotten to shoot consistently but bas been poor here, 2 things can happen simultaneously. we all hated on muscala who couldn't hit for crap from 3pt range, he's been solid since that laker tenure

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

beasley can do things besides catch and shoot threes. duncan robinson had one skill. he was a shooter, not a scorer. beasley has proven he's both. AND he makes less than robinson, bertans, and joe harris (who, again, doesn't deserve to be lumped in this group, as he's a scorer, too, imo).

and you're right--beasley can be shooting poorly now and not have it mean that he'll shoot poorly forever. thank you for demonstrating my entire freaking point.

lakerjones likes this.
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he might here if you havent notice but than again you rarely watch anyway but has so much insight

11. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I really hope he doesn’t become another guy who wilts under the extreme radiance that the Laker Lights emit.
    We need him. Maybe he doesn’t find his rhythm here until LeBron returns? Maybe it takes him going through a full training camp with his new mates?
    Either way, we should keep him because it’s way too early to give up on him.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

From the Scotto/Buha piece from last week

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i feel like there's only one option here. again, had he been lighting the world on fire in his audition, i'd be pursuing an extension. as it is, you just pick up the option.

14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

We are going to pick up his option whether he stinks it up or not. That salary spot will be useful in a trade regardless.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i watch enough. if watching more means i'm going to kneejerk hate everything in a lakers uniform, i'll watch even less, thanks.

LTLakerFan and Slick2021 like this.
  16. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Him and Bamba's contract plus this year's pick could you get something nice: Derozan fits right into their salaries for example

Khmrp likes this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Thought this was an interesting stat from the Kam bros on their pod today...

Passes from DLO & DS, Beasley's shooting percentage is in the 20s. From Bron, it's in the 60s.

He (and Vando) needs Bron out there desperately.

18. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

It's interesting but i don't necessarily trust this reveals a greater predictive truth - real small sample size for Bron and with how much Beasley runs hot or cold the number maybe skewed just from one hot game of us that so happened to coincide with the small number of games he played with Lebron

Cookie, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I think with a larger size it would be a much smaller gap, maybe something closer to a 10% gap... mid 30s vs mid to high 40s? But I found it surprising considering DLO's shorthand with Beas and it just screamed the gap in playmaking ability between Bron and the rest of the roster (and most of the league for that matter) .

DS is a ball handler and his lob connection with AD is night and day better from his last to as a Laker. But I don't think of him as this really good facilitator or a true pg.

DLO actually is a PG (a good one), but he plays at his pace and that's not always going to coincide with the pace of a shooter in motion running off screens and trying to create a 2 second window for himself. He makes the smart and often safe pass, but smart and right aren't always the same.

I just think Bron's processing rate and understanding of not only how the play is going to develop but where the guys are going to be is at such an elite level that accounts for some of that percentage. The pass isn't reactionary to the guy (Beas in this case) getting to a spot, getting a sliver of daylight and then getting the ball; the pass is made and the player meets the ball there. The extra 1/2 second-second really matters to a shooter. Also I imagine he's better at getting the ball in the shooters pocket and laces lined up for him, you hear elite passers talk about these kinds of things (Kyrie just spoke on it regarding him setting up the bucket we lost the game on). Also the Wolves beat writer spoke on Beas liking to shoot in transition and on the break, DLO isn't a pace pusher, and Bron's full court football passes would help here, too.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

semi-related, but not enough was said about how good of a pass kyrie threw on that game-winner. if it's a split second off in timing or a couple inches off in location, we win that game.