Malik Beasley Discussion: Free Agent

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by karacha, Feb 8, 2023.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

If you're going to play him and you probably shouldn't at this point, YOU HAVE to give him more than one 3 point shot. If he's in for 13 minutes, you have to have a few drawn up or designed plays from practice that are ready to go to get him an attempt.

In the screen grabs Cranjis pulled, he's wide a** open. He has no value other than that as a shooter. Get him shots or sit him down.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yeah!! ..... Ham comes in with an encyclopedia's thickness of a playbook the likes of which has Cranjis beside himself for ALL the possibilities .... and we get to the playoffs with multiple ball handlers and scorers, only to see guys standing around, not cutting or doing anything while we take turns playing ISO ball, and with NONE of those 800 plays and permutations being run to free up the Guys needing to be freed up for shots. Perfect!

Panko and Toklat like this.
  3. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Maybe his teammates don't trust him?
    Rui and Reaves certainly get the ball when they're open.

He's a bit irritating on offense as when you swing him the balln he's very willing to jack up a contested jumper. Certainly annoys me watching the game so maybe there is a little bit of lack of trust with him?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I hate the current congested action we use him in with a dribble hand off or some half baked screen to get him a little daylight. If we're not going to run shooting actions for him properly, I'd rather camp him in the corner. Then he at least pulls a paint defender out to him or gets an open 3 if we're in an action on the other side of the floor.

It also helps that Rui and AR can do more things with the ball. If Rui gets it and decides to turn down the shot, he can move his man wherever he wants him and usually get the shot he wants to against him. Playoff Rui is a 3 level scorer. Then AR is a very good ball handler and creator for himself (w/ contact) or can create action for a teammate if his play breaks down. If MB's play breaks down, shots still going up.

5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Having him for just post trade deadline doesn't help either. Don't think Ham has the experience to incorporate him right away and we were trying to win games right away.

6. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

I guess his two previous coaches didn't have that experience either? Kid just needs to hit his open shots ..he's getting a lot of good looks.

7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    abeer3, JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Panko like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

Run your Delay Reject Chicago set, your reject on the wide pin, & your Gaggle action. Ideally it punishes MEM & they back off the top locking.”

Oh sure …. Cranjis lurks on LB too obviously and now thieving what I have been saying we should do ever since we got him.

:Laugh:

:Melo Defense:

:Crazyartest:

9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

how would we know what walker can do in this series when he hasnt even gotten a chance?

10. LTLakerFan

There’s no use for that kind of athleticism …. DUH. Not that Beas doesn’t have some of his own but yeah give Lonnie a bone here if Beasley is not going to hit his open shots.

BETTER yet just give ALL his minutes to Rui …. the sooner the better in this series at the least.

11. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

So what Cranjis is saying, is...

...it's Ham and Dennis's fault that Beasley sucks rn. :giggle:

12. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

They've given him a shot time to.move on. That airball wtf 3 was the last straw probably.

Either keep the rotation to 8 guys or give Lonnie or my preferred option Max a shot

Khmrp, abeer3 and Panko like this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

If you're a shooter and ONLY in the game to shoot. The second you air ball a 3, I think it's safe to say it's not your night and should immediately head to the bench.

alam1108 and Panko like this.
  14. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

He's having a rough series for sure. I'd like to see Lonnie get some minutes instead at this point.

Panko likes this.
  15. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I think he has few to none plays made for him. He's the 5th with most threes in the LEAGUE this year. That's a huge stat and we are definitely not using him well. He rarely has an open 3 and you can design many plays for him, specially with DLo, LeBron on the floor

He's not awful in defense like Lonnie, he rebounds and can attack the paint so I really think it's mostly Ham's fault.
    It's a pity because he's the type of guy that can win you a road game in the playoffs going berserk from 3

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

agree with cranjis, and this is part of the larger issue i keep harping about regarding us giving up on off ball movement. we were doing some of this down the stretch this year, and we've decided that memphis is too good (?) so were making it easier (?) to defend our primary guys.

i agree beasley has been very underwhelming and that bad open miss in particular was the kind of headscratcher that finds you nailed to the bench.

so, sure try walker or just play rui more. but i don't know that we're doing everything we can to help beasley (or AD, for that matter) be effective.

17. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

What do you mean play more for AD?

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

how is beasley any better on D than Walker?

19. Slick2021

We are up 3-1 on the 2nd place team in the West. Yes..they are missing two role players but Ja, Bane and Jackson Jr are big time players. Somehow this story keeps getting turned into all the s***, we are supposedly doing wrong? You know..perhaps the other team is pretty good, and is fully capable of making runs of their own? Just a thought here.

20. Slick2021

They are equally bad at getting lost in rotations, however Malik is slightly better at 1on1 defense, that is, when he can locate the man he's supposed to be guarding.

lakerjones likes this.