Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I understand that's what you mean. I'm still saying 4 years is too long. Things change faster than that. Just look at what's happened in the league this past season. I'm no believer in a passive approach like waiting for the Warriors to start breaking down. You think Magic will really wait for that to happen? F the Warriors.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I think the point Savory is naming is that regardless of what we do, it probably won't be enough with the Warriors are they are currently constructed. Yes, we will try to put the best team possible out there, but young players still have to develop and learn from losing. If rebuilding and winning a title were as simple as saying "4 years is too long", we would have rebuilt and won a title already. It took a hobbled Curry and a suspended Green to let LeBron, Kyrie, and Love beat the Warriors, then they added Durant and went down in 5 games. It's likely nothing we can put out there immediately can top them right away either, that's reality. But it doesn't mean we don't try or won't try, and I didn't see Savory say we wouldn't, it's clear we will. Have to get back into the playoffs and get the young guys a taste of truly competing if we hope to win a title, have to start somewhere.

Barnstable and Savory Griddles like this.
  3. Jaguar

True that "4 years is too long" is not a sound rebuilding strategy. But things happen, just the way you point out how curry and green went down to LeBron's benefit. No one would have factored that in as a possibility. Who says that things don't happen in favor of the Lakers, whatever that may be? The prior regime is not in control anymore. I'm just saying this new regime is pushing hard, and things can happen before 4 years.

I think you all need to have a sit down with Lavar.

4. Weezy

But again, I don't think that's what's being said here. I think Savory said he feels we are about 4 years away from contending, i agree that's realistic. But he included having LeBron with that, so he's not saying we do nothing. We still go after George and LeBron, we TRY to win it all right away, it just doesn't most likely work out that way until our kids mature, until one of Durant, Curry, Klay, and Green leaves GS, or yes, one of them gets injured.

Savory Griddles and Jaguar like this.
  5. Jaguar

Got it.

6. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Random question, but if we sign George/Lebron and have a great season next year, who would be considered for Executive of the Year? Magic or Rob?

Edit (now that I've had a few beers tonight and am a little more optimistic): Who would be considered for EotY this year if Lopez and KCP end up being the perfect fits to help BI, Lonzo, and Randle to have breakout years in a very competitive season?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    sirronstuff likes this.
  7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Weezy is explaining my position well. LBJ + PG-13 is likely not enough to overtake the Warriors since Ball and Ingram are teenagers. Not saying we shouldnt go for it, but its likely not going to work. If we don't get LBJ and only get PG-13, its not the end of the world. We will win if/when Ingram and Ball are ready which will be when LBJ is going to be like 36 or 37. And if we make it to the top of the mountain without the Kang, it will be more satisfying.

Cookie, Barnstable, John3:16 and 3 others like this.
  8. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

GS will 3peat at best ... if we get PG13 and Lebron , I'm confident we can win it in their 2nd season as Lakers

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    That means several 21-23 year olds are playing big roles on a championship team. While I like the sound of that, history says it's unlikely. Maybe because they didn't have any Big Ballers though.

[​IMG]

Weezy, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  10. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Experienced role players would line up to play with these two ... our roster would be very different from the current one, especially in year 2

Only Ball , Ingram , maybe Nance if he improves his shooting would/may get minutes on this team ... Kuzma ?

The others would be gone or bench warmers

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm late: if lebron comes, we're contending. that day. i know he's unpopular here, but his teams are contenders because they have him. if he comes here, he's not coming alone (something we know too well about lebron). a curry twisted ankle, and you've got a great shot at beating that team. i can't believe so many teams just gave up on the next three years. smart money would say that in at least one of those years, gs won't be the champ. so you position yourself to be that team. that's what houston's doing, and i think it's the right play.

ElginTheGreat, Toklat, TIME and 3 others like this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Durant's foot acts up again? Curry's ankles go down? Draymond murders someone? The window opens and it's time to party. You get LeBron and George and you're basically immediately the second best team in the West. One problem with the Warriors and you're in the Finals.

13. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Once again, I'm not saying don't go for it. If you can get Lebron, you get him. I'm just saying if we don't, I don't look at it as our current plan is shot to hell. If we don't get ANYONE, then I'm going to start to get uneasy.

Weezy, Barnstable, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  14. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    It's Rob. That Award is for GM's not Vice President's even though they are both techically "executives". As anyone ever won that award that wasn't a GM, I don't think so.

15. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Looking at the list of recent winners, I don't think Riley or Bird were technically GM's when they won. I'm pretty sure they were considered President of Basketball Operations like Magic is.

16. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I stand corrected than. I remember when Riley won it but I thought he was both the President of Basketball Operations and GM because if he's not the GM than who is for the Heat.

Could be that for the Pacers and Heat the President of Basketball Operations is also the GM making player personnel decisions, whereas most teams have a President and a GM.

17. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Are any of their middle names "Defense"?

Cookie, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

wonder what the previous ad indicated?

must be totally disinterested in player development and instead heavily steeped in the arts of playa development.

no suckas.

foxhole.

20. Weezy

I'm glad B0ron is retired.