Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Magic needs to go away. I’m honestly tired of him. His need to save face on his second first take interview did it for me... I’m over him. Go away

2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...funny enough, I gave this a passing thought as absurd the theory sounds. :)

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Magic should ask for a refund tbh

SFGOLDRUSHER, abeer3, JSM and 10 others like this.
  4. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Watch the league find some crazy fine print about former team employees having a 90 day cool off window or something where they can still be considered tampering after they step down.

5. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Looking how many deals were already agreed upon ahead of the FA opening...it is becoming increasingly ridiculous to talk about tampering.

Most players were already in town to sign contracts RIGHT at 6:01...ridiculously obvious.

6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
  7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

SFGOLDRUSHER and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    SFGOLDRUSHER and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Was Kawhi never going to sign here? Or was it Magic's fault? A whole lot of BS being thrown around.

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

maybe that "source" is Kawahi inner circle trying to deflect his snake'ish ways?

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Who knows with all the spin coming out of KL's camp. But I commented on it the day it was reported that Magic was talking about their meeting. It was like Duh! Just because he was officially out of the FO, he was still picked by their camp to be talked to. Did he think that made it OK to yak to the media what they talked about in such an important meeting?

12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

it didn't help I guess but we see the reports now bout how many different high lvl players the snake reached out too, apparently it includes Harden and Beal on top of the regular FA like Butler, Irving and KD. So its apparent now the snake had his mindset, we were just the former good looking chick that Kawahi used so he can have his way with the new chick lol

13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It's either fabricated or it's a leak from Kawhi's camp to justify a bad decision. I tend to think it's the latter since Carter was saying it day one.

However, if Magic mattered that much, why was Kawhi sneaking around with George to find a way to go to the Clippers at the same time that he was meeting with us? It's nonsense. Kawhi didn't want to be a Laker, it had nothing to do with Magic.

14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Not buying it. Magic isn’t even an employee anymore. If Kawhi wanted to sign here he’d have signed here. The FO got LeBron, then they went out and traded the whole team for AD, there is no better pitch for winning than to join that. Magic did what Magic does, he spoke to the media, and hell he didn’t even say much other than he talked to Uncle Dennis and it was good and Kawhi should join the Lakers. Oooh, how terrible, can’t have that sort of stuff leaking to the press. :wasntme:

15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    He loved Magic.

But Kawhi didn’t want to play in Lebron’s circus. The man just took his team to a Finals victory without a clear cut go to #2 guy. He doesn’t needebron, and he’s not a sidekick

Why would he step into Lebron’s inevitable shadow when he could do it another way.

Uncle Dennis sounds a little shady, and trying to get a little side commission. Not very wise to think outlandish requests he made would stay confidential after stringing teams along.

The whole situation wreaked of a lack of professionalism.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2019
    tada, SFGOLDRUSHER, TIME and 2 others like this.
  16. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Yeah Magic's term as Prez of BB was sad but I'm over it, IMO he's back to being a Laker Legend with the FO thing as a tiny minor blemish overall in his Laker history that will all be forgotten after our next championship. He's intentions were always good and pro-Laker.

But no way did he blow the Kawhi deal, we straight up got played by Kawhi simple as that. So did the Raptors. But us, being the most likely rival to his new Clip team, oh yeah he was out to do harm.

And here is where I commend Rob (as well as LBJ and AD) as we were prepared for this. Plan B was quick, decisive and effective to the degree that there was obvious extensive forethought put into it. He got guys and their agents to wait on signing, maybe not everyone he asked to do so did, but that's also a major thing to ask a player. The man and his team of Tim Harris and juniors were working hard. Our organization was tight-lipped (minus when Magic was here) and the only comments made this time around about out FO were high-praise from David Griffin about Rob. He hasn't been perfect but he's been a lot better than I've seem him getting credit for in my opinion anyways.

Don't ever expect to see Kawhi or PG13 in Laker uniform. Ever. Not when they are 35 on vet mins to piggy back on a champ squad, not ever. The FO will not forget.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    SamsonMiodek, SFGOLDRUSHER and Cookie like this.
  17. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

I don't really buy the Magic leaks cost us Kawhi, but I do hope he takes it like it did so in the future he will tone it down a bit with discussions like that.

18. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I blame it all on Magic. Magic Magic Magic.

*Looks in mirror next to me to see if Vasashi appears*

Totally playing, Vas. I think this story is B.S.

SFGOLDRUSHER and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

@Savory Griddles

[​IMG]

It's always the same folks haha...

Here's what the report didn't say:

Magic also leaked Bowen getting fired by the cLips for throwing shade at Kawhi.

Magic also leaked the cLips failed attempt at acquiring the Klaw logo from Nike.

Magic also leaked the cLips stalking, uh attending 40% of Raptor games last season.

Magic also leaked what to tell Doc for getting that Kawhi tampering fine.

Magic also leaked that Kawhi was not wanting to superteam-up, yet contradicting that premise in giving the Lakers a meeting anyways.

Magic also leaked when the cLips was meeting with Kawhi.

Magic also leaked Kawhi not wanting to team-up yet...

These f***ed up narratives are a "load" of s*** that needs to be better "managed". #KawhietDown

One thing is blatantly obvious in Magic's leaks tho: how badly were teams trying to get Kawhi? Magic told them that we tried, but SA refused us passage. Instead we traded two #2s (Zo, BI), #4 (Hunter), #25 (Moe), #30 (Hart), #39 (Bonga), JJ, two future 1sts and a pick swap for AD. So we obviously wanted AD much more than Kawhi.

Meanwhile the cLips clearly wanted Kawhi more by trading #6 (Gallo), #11 (SGA), five future 1sts and two pick swaps to secure Kawhi via George.

So they can have him and his non-teamup runner up running mate.

20. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Kawhi Leonard was never coming to the Lakers. They were leverage and leverage only. Blaming Magic is a media stunt to get more pub. Morons fall for that kind of crap, both media and fans.

Lakers did not lose in the deal. They got the players they needed and depth to fit around their 2 1/2 stars. If a star becomes available before the deadline next year, the Lakers have enough to trade for that player if there is a demand.

Lakers are in great shape as long as they stay healthy.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019