Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

This makes enormous sense. Again, I don't have any problem with what is being said. It's a big change coming. Strap in!

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Woj Bomb...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...agent-rob-pelinka-to-become-gm-204625211.html

After sweeping front-office changes to hire Magic Johnson as president of basketball operations for the Los Angeles Lakers, the franchise is strongly considering agent Rob Pelinka to become general manager, league sources told The Vertical.

Pelinka has been one of the NBA’s top player agents and has strong ties to the franchise through his relationship with longtime client Kobe Bryant and owner Jeanie Buss. Pelinka is at the top of a short list of candidates to become the top day-to-day executive, sources said.

Before the Lakers fired Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss on Tuesday, the franchise had already moved away from trying to pursue the Golden State Warriors’ Bob Myers, the franchise’s original top target for general manager, league sources told The Vertical.

After Myers signed a recent contract extension, it became clear to Lakers brass that it would be unable to lure Myers, league sources said.

Within the Lakers’ new top circle of power, another sitting general manager who has been a significant source of intrigue for the freshly vacant L.A. general manager job: Portland’s Neil Olshey, league sources said. Olshey is a two-time runner-up for NBA Executive of the Year, including 2016 with the Blazers and 2011 as Clippers general manager after beating out the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul.

In the cases of Myers and Olshey, it is extremely difficult to hire a general manager who’s under contract elsewhere. Rival owners generally aren’t interested in letting top-level executives leave for competitors, especially the Lakers.

Lakers assistant general manager Ryan West has a strong relationship and history with Pelinka, and would likely be considered a significant part of a new front-office regime, league sources said.

For the Lakers to hire Pelinka – which would follow the Warriors’ blueprint on ex-agent Myers – there would need to be a process of him divesting from his Landmark Sports representation business. Pelinka’s client list includes Houston Rockets All-Star guard James Harden, Houston’s Eric Gordon and Golden State’s Andre Iguodala.

Kupchak’s inability to complete a deal with Sacramento for All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins over the weekend played a part in the timing of the purge, league sources said. The Kings chose a New Orleans offer over the Lakers’ on Sunday night.

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I have no relationships, but bought Laker jerseys for my dogs, so I think I got the culture down. I will apply for the job. I will even use my Savory Griddles screen name as my GM name.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Magic on the young kids:
    -First name he brings up is Randle who he says the ceiling is high.
    -Russell he mentions next saying "you can see it coming".
    -He said he loves Ingram.
    -Mentions Clarkson a bit.
    -Says he likes "Big Z" aka Zubac. Wants to see what he can grow into.
    -Mentions Larry Nance Jr. as a guy who fills up the stats quietly. Says he's one of the smartest players not just on our team, but in the League.

Purp n Gold, Cookie, TIME and 4 others like this.
  5. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

6. lakerjones

I think even the staunchest Mitch supporter - and I really liked the job he did for us myself - would have to admit that he hasn't gotten the job done in free agency and we needed to try something else.

TIME and 432J like this.
  7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

For all the skepticism I'm throwing out here, I do like a lot of the things I'm hearing in the 2nd half of this interview. Don't look to the past, don't sit around and tell stories of showtime.

Aaaand Magic just said Clarkson can be one of the best defenders in the league and my eyes rolled so hard I saw my brain.

8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Would be amazing and scary as hell to be a fly on the wall to any Magic and Bird conversations on Paul George. It's on again. Jordan too. Maybe the league gets what it needs after these sorry a** all star weekends that have come to be. A huge injection of "old school" competition. Magic with the stellar business background.

Trying to be glass half full here.

[​IMG]

lakerjones likes this.
  9. therealdeal

Magic is going to travel with the team to see in person how the team responds. He says he's going to look into how they respond. Veeeery interesting. Sounds like he wants to evaluate their competitiveness.

Cookie, Battle Tested20, TIME and 2 others like this.
  10. lakerjones

Magic just said the majority of GM calls were about Lou. That's good news! And he just hyped up his value. Nice!

Cookie, TIME, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  11. Flight815

Flight815 - Rookie -

Wouldn't Pelinka have to sever all ties with NBA players he is the agent for currently to become a GM? He still reps more than a dozen players.

ElginTheGreat and Kenzo like this.
  12. therealdeal

On Lou: the phones are ringing.

Magic said he wants Lou to win 6th man, says he's a good guy for the team/locker room, and that his contract is worth a lot to us. So if you want him, you have to give up something good.

Cookie, TIME, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  13. lakerjones

Yes, there have been a couple posts above about that. He will have to divest in order to make it happen.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Magic traveling with the team and evaluating them should have happened already. He can't trade players if he doesn't like what he sees when our game is Friday and the deadline is Thursday.

Cookie and alam1108 like this.
  15. lakerjones

Loved that!

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Well, in Magic's defense, Clarkson CAN be a great defender. But...dude is never going to be a good defender.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Khmrp likes this.
  18. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Magic has always been high on Randle. I wouldn't be surprised if he considers Russell expendable. He likes high assist PG's ie Rondo.

LTLakerFan and Kobe Bryant 8 like this.
  19. lakerjones

Honestly that sounds like they won't be moving the youth right now and I'm fine with that. All signs point to moving Lou and that's great.

LTLakerFan and Khmrp like this.
  20. therealdeal

For everything that's scary about this, it's fantastic to hear that we're finally going to all be on the same page. No more infighting in the organization is a good thing.