Lou Williams Discussion: 44

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by lakerswiz, Jul 5, 2015.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I love this signing. I've been a fan of Lou for a long time now. So glad we got him! Agreed with most that this probably signals the end of the Swaggy P experiment but I doubt a trade happens until the deadline. In the meantime I'm fine with holding on to Swaggy, especially in case Kobe gets hurt.

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

3. LaVarBallsDad

Lou Williams is a player whose role is about as well-defined as any on the Lakers’ roster. He will come off the bench with a score first mentality, look to create shots and if the shot isn’t there then, well, he’ll probably throw one up anyway. This is the way of a “chucker” and this, in a vacuum, is what Lou Williams has proven to be over the course of his nine-year career. However, despite its negative connotation, the “chucker” moniker is one Williams embraces and it has earned him other titles such as “2015 Sixth Man of the Year” in the process.

Whether creating space for a one-hop pull-up, taking his defender off the dribble, or leading and finishing on the fast break, Williams plays the game with flair. His nifty crossover, stalling hesitation move, and quick first step combined with a proven scoring ability should quickly make him a favorite among Lakers fans who haven’t seen a true “spark” off the bench since D’Antoni got his hands on Nick Young.

For all of the talent he offers as a playmaker, though, where Williams may need to find his niche with this Lakers team is off the ball.

As currently constructed, the Lakers possess a deep group of capable ball handlers in the backcourt (yes, really). With one of Clarkson, Russell or even Marcelo Huertas expected to see the bulk of minutes as the lead guard over the course of a game, Williams will most likely be pushed into an off-guard role for the majority of his time on the floor. Not to mention, a healthy Kobe will handle a fair amount of ball-handling duties as well.

Considering this, the Lakers should rely on Williams to produce in plenty of catch and shoot situations rather than as the lead ball-handler. This is something he is indeed capable of.

According to numbers accrued by SportsVU, Williams quietly found greater efficiency on catch and shoot attempts from three-point range last season, shooting a solid 39.6% — a mark better than noted sharpshooters Wesley Matthews and Dirk Nowitzki. Looking at Williams’ career-long shot chart offers a better sense of where his best areas of efficiency lie:

[​IMG]

These opportunities will also show themselves in transition where, if not handling the ball, Williams should operate as the gunner spotting up for an open shot on the weak side while defenders sink in or at the top the key as a trail man. Either by design or by the natural flow of the offense, catch and shoot chances will certainly exist, when Williams is on the floor, he can serve productively in these instances.

If used effectively, Williams shooting ability can space the floor for the Lakers offense and provide a bit more clearance for players like Clarkson and Russell to execute in the mid-range. The key with Williams, as with any player, is to not take away who he is or what he does best — which is, as the kids would say, “light it up” — but to properly implement aspects of his skill set into the system and make sure they are channeled in a manner that best compliments the parts around him.

For the Lakers, this will often mean spotting Williams up along the perimeter and hoping he connects. And if the past is any true predictor of the future, connect he will do.

These opportunities will also show themselves in transition where, if not handling the ball, Williams should operate as the gunner spotting up for an open shot on the weak side while defenders sink in or at the top the key as a trail man. Either by design or by the natural flow of the offense, catch and shoot chances will certainly exist, when Williams is on the floor, he can serve productively in these instances.

If used effectively, Williams shooting ability can space the floor for the Lakers offense and provide a bit more clearance for players like Clarkson and Russell to execute in the mid-range. The key with Williams, as with any player, is to not take away who he is or what he does best — which is, as the kids would say, “light it up” — but to properly implement aspects of his skill set into the system and make sure they are channeled in a manner that best compliments the parts around him.

For the Lakers, this will often mean spotting Williams up along the perimeter and hoping he connects. And if the past is any true predictor of the future, connect he will do.

Granted, the sample size is smaller, but it is clear Williams had greater efficiency when given the opportunity to let it fly from the corners, combining for a roundabout average 48% from both sides. If the Lakers are able to generate more looks for him in these areas, that average may slightly dip due to volume, but the overall threat will remain the same.

What makes this threat important is that it can create a conundrum for opposing defenses and offer better scoring opportunities for both Williams and his teammates. When Williams shares the floor with any combination of Bryant, Clarkson or Russell, defenders will likely look to double the lead guard off a screen and roll but will also be hesitant to leave Williams open around the perimeter.

If defenders feel compelled to play Williams more closely, it can either open easier scoring lanes for the lead guard to operate or offer Williams the freedom to showcase his playmaking ability if given the ball. In that same vein, if defenders choose to double the lead ball handler and go into team defensive rotations — the more likely scenario — it leaves Williams open in the corner where, as noted, he’s shown an ability to make them pay.

Now, to clear the purple and gold elephant out of the room, it is true that Byron Scott plans to implement the Princeton — an offense that, at least in how the Lakers ran it last season, is designed to generate a high volume of mid-range pull-ups and is subsequently slandered for its inefficiency and antiquation in an evermore data-driven league.

Much as we might try, we cannot ignore the Princeton is ill-suited for this Lakers roster. In saying that, however, it will be on both Scott and the players to find a middle ground where execution of his offense and flexibility for more free flowing sets coexist. However, naturally, no matter the system, any offense tends to result in spot up chances that occur either as a result of defenses focusing on recovering in the paint or giving added attention to the primary ball handler.

One doesn’t have to look too far back to visualize a Lakers offense where these opportunities arise. The Lakers Summer League team implemented Scott’s offense and more often than not, when the high screen and roll was initiated, the ball handler (usually Russell) had clear opportunity to kick to an open Clarkson, Jabari Brown or Anthony Brown on the weak side. While Russell may have not always taken advantage of such chances, the key is that the offense allowed for them to exist.

If regular season game action is what you wish for, we recently posted a piece commemorating Kobe’s passing ability. If you watch the included 9-minute video clip highlighting each one of Kobe’s assists from this past season, you’ll notice that a fair amount of those were of the “kick to the open corner” variety with Kobe drawing attention in the low-post before ultimately swinging to the open man. Here’s Williams getting a shot on a similar-type play from last season:

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/201...lou-williams-as-a-spot-up-shooter/#more-18891

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

September reading material; also, I think I created another Official Lou Williams thread because I didn't know this one already existed. Either way, I'll use this one going forward to post any pertinent information about Lou...

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    :threeptnick:VERY nice corner three percentages. That will definitely keep defenses honest.

:sashafire:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  6. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I want to see Lou and Swag torching our opponents when they are both on. It will happen here and there during the season, and we'll look unstoppable.

7. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

That's the thing, I love the prospect of two players coming off the bench that can win you a game just from heating up scoring.

It means we have options, if Lou is cold, Swaggy might be hot and vice versa. If the're both cold, it's much more unlikely when we have 2 players like that, and is that any worse than having no scoring punch off the bench?

Helljumper likes this.
  8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I mean if they're both cold we probably lose. With Randle and Russell we probably can't afford Nick and Lou both being cold on the same night. That lack of production will be hard to overcome. I don't think it happens often though. I think this team is capable of putting up 100 points any given night which is more than could be said the last two years.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I can't wait for games where both Lou and Nick are hot, that'll be fun to watch.

11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

With them able to just catch and shoot because Huertas is feeding them the ball in the perfect spot.

12. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

On some rare occasions when hot, a lineup of Huertas/Lou/Young/Kelly/Black will turn a 12pt deficit into a 3 point lead in like 3 minutes. That'll happen more than a few times and it'll be exciting as hell.

Helljumper, therealdeal, JSM and 4 others like this.
  13. alam1108

^ or take a 2 point lead and turn it into a 12 point lead. It'll be Bench Mob 2.0

14. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

We saw that sort of thing with the Portland game, didn't we.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  15. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

I ain't even mad about that last shot Lou. You did your part this game.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Lou played well tonight overall. I honestly think with a couple more seconds on the clock he scores on the last play.

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. alam1108

Worth much more than what we pay him.

JSM and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. Weezy

Byron is gonna make this poor guy and Bass sorry they signed here. The losing is gonna get old.

19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Lou has a huge role, I'm not sure he's going to be mad. Bass might be. Honestly WE might be upset we signed Bass anyway with Nance Jr. and Kelly looking good and Black needing some minutes. Not that I don't like Brandon, but I'm sure he wasn't expecting to play the 5 here.

I liked Lou's game, but damn he's got to finish that shot. Use the backboard like a normal person and win the game man. C'mon.

20. Weezy

I'm not upset we signed Bass, I'm upset that I fell for Kelly's play in preseason like a sucker. Bass at the 4, Black at the 5, I'm good, thanks. Lou played really well, very glad we have him. Why I think he might regret signing here is if he has to watch Kobe chuck while we lose 60 games if Byron coaches like this.