Los Angeles Kings Talk Vol. Defend Stanley

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by VinMillerHearn24, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

They are streaky as all hell. They go 10 games looking like the best team in the league, then they take a nap for 4 games. If we beat the Jets, it'll be weird being in the catbird's seat in the playoffs. Typically we never have home ice.

2. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

yup...clinching in March? WHAT is that all about? lol

3. VinMillerHearn24

VinMillerHearn24 - Rookie -

I was getting a little worried when we dropped those 4 games. Huge win last night against the Ducks. Take care of business vs the Jets and clinch home ice.

4. VinMillerHearn24

Are you kidding me. We had the division in our control, we could have clinched tonight and we blew a 3-0 lead in a loss in OT. Absolutely inexcusable.

puffyusaf#2 likes this.
  5. pound4pound

time for the real season to begin

[​IMG]

puffyusaf#2 likes this.
  6. Savory Griddles

Martinez is out tonight (maybe the rest of the season).

Here's a link video of the injury.

Like some in the thread are saying, it's a non-contact injury which is always bad news. Kind of looks like he sprained or tore something when his leg twists a bit under him. Not counting on him being back.

Our paper thin defense is even worse now. What's thinner than paper?

7. VinMillerHearn24

A lot of problems with the Kings this series. I can't believe that we played worse than we did in game 1, but we did in game 2. We have played TERRIBLE.

8. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    we finally on the board with the W.... Sharks have had some better chances than we have. Penalties have been costly for us but since the 2nd period of game 2 I think we have started to see our boys playing. Gaborik getting his legs under him is huge. He missed a sniper shot in game 2 that would of turned the game. Drew needs to get his shot on goal he is missing everything high or wide. He is visibly pissed at himself on offensive end right now. All that being said, the D was nice tonight. Time to take game 4

9. VinMillerHearn24

I like what I saw for the most part. We are still taking dumb penalties which can come back to haunt us later in games. Other than the 1st goal that Quick gave up in game 3, he played EXCELLENT there after. Our defense stepped up and it was clear. It's good to see Kopi getting a goal, hopefully that turns things around for him since he has been real quiet so far.

10. pound4pound

61 hits...big, bruising, physical play...good to see they remember how to play Kings hockey

11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Not looking good, we're not getting any sort of offensive production and the defense is looking weak having two inexperienced guys out there.

We've come back from 3-1 before, #BELIEVE.

12. pound4pound

cycle cycle cycle....nothing but good happens when they cycle

and no more stupid penalties

13. Savory Griddles

We have been paper thin in the back all season. While I want to believe, I just don't think this team is built the same as it has been in the past. Front office has some work to do in the offseason to get a legit top 4 defenseman in here. We have like what, 2 1/2 top 4's right now...when Martinez is healthy? I mean, our core is very solid. We aren't that far off from being ridiculous. But we need to stop thinking Doughty can play 45 minutes a game.

14. Savory Griddles

Our back line tonight was exposed. Couldn't clear out the crease at all. Not trying to beat a dead horse when talking about them, but we have maybe 4 legit NHL defensemen. Two of those probably don't belong on a top two pairings. Maybe Muzzin if I'm being generous. But Scuderi and McNabb are awful. Muzzin pisses me off a lot too.

15. VinMillerHearn24

I would want to say we had a great season, but honestly, we didn't. We started off slow, then picked it up, a lot. Then we pissed away our lead in the division, then became complacent in the final few weeks, and we never recovered, never. It carried on into the playoffs and it killed us.

The defense needs changes. Schenn can go, this dude is cheeks. Scuds, I wish we gave him better, but I don't see him coming back. We have a great 1-2 with Doughty and Muzzin, and Martinez is a great 3/4. But other than that, we don't have anyone that can step up on the back end of the defensive pairings. We need to bolster the blue line.

I want to address the captaincy as well. As much as Brown has been a leader off ice, he doesn't really show much for it ON ICE. I get it, he has intangibles in the locker room, but come on. I expected a better season out of him, and nothing improved. I think a captain has to show a great example on AND off the ice. I wouldn't mind seeing the "C" given to Kopi or Dewey next season. We need a little change within the core.

Quick....what the hell happened to this guy. He has been terrible this season vs. the Sharks, and this playoff series was no difference. He was just flat out bad.

16. Savory Griddles

I'm not going to be too quick (pun intended) to blame Quick. Last night he constantly had waaaay too much traffic in front of him. Guys are wide open. That 4th goal had two dudes open within 5 feet of the net. That shouldn't happen. In years past teams wouldn't even bother sending guys in fro t if our net.

I agree with the C on Brown. Give it to Kopi.

Gaboric never got back into it either. He seemed out of sync when he came back. We have a solid core to build around. The Voynov thing hurt us way worse than I thought it would. Unfortunately, we don't have my h wiggle room to add a top line defense man.

17. VinMillerHearn24

Gaborik never got his legs under him b/c he was out for most of the season, then all of a sudden was thrusted back into the line up in the playoffs. It would have taken him a while to get going.

18. Savory Griddles

Oh, I know. I'm just saying him not being at full strength hurt our all ready anemic offense. We aren't very dynamic offensively. We needed Gaborik's sniper ability to get us a goal every now and then out of nowhere. But in the end, we lost this series at the blue line.

19. VinMillerHearn24

What I want to see is Sutter changing the offense a little bit. We can't keep firing from the blue line with no one in front of the goalie.

20. Savory Griddles

Here we go.

lakerfan2 likes this.