Lakers VS Slippers Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by SFGOLDRUSHER, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I wish Doc stayed with the Tennants :(
    Worst season i can remember (C Bags title was worse) but you know what i mean

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm curious to see if the clips can do it against phx, too. they won't get those kind of looks against them, and phx will sit ayton if he's getting exploited. plus he's not such a zero on offense.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I also can’t see the Suns playing tight and scared like that but these playoffs are so wild at this point that anything could happen.

abeer3 likes this.
  4. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

You know, I have to give the Clips some credit. They sort of elevated their game mentally without their best player and came back from a huge deficit. Good show.

tada, 432J, Khmrp and 2 others like this.
  5. King3

King3 - Rookie -

No way would anyone complain about Kuz if he scored 39 and helped the Lakers win. I don't get the sensitivity here about any criticism of Kuz.

6. King3

King3 - Rookie -

You live by the 3 and you die by it. Utah's sole focus on 3 point shooting ending up biting them in the butt. You have to do more then just jacking 3's every game. When the 3's are not falling, they had nothing to fall back on. We need better 3 point shooting efficiency, but I love our focus on defense, and not relying on the 3 all the time. Pretty pathetic performance by the team with the best record in the NBA.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, not sure about that. terrence mann was a non-entity for every other game of the series, underperforming his regular season production. inconsistent!!

what i have learned from this thread:

we need to shoot threes better
    the clippers are good at the threes
    utah lost because they shot threes

truth is, utah's backcourt were each dragging a leg, the clippers role players went unconscious at home when the pressure let off down 25, and then utah peed themselves as they'd been doing since game 2.

the clippers could have easily died by the three, too, and both teams hit 20 of them on 50% shooting.

a lot depends on whether kawhi is back and when paul is back, but i really think the clippers won't be able to replicate this performance against phx, who would just throw saric at center when they go ultra small and shut off all this stuff.

utah was trapped into playing gobert because a) favors wouldn't have been any better and b) they really don't have any athletic 4s to use as a smallball 5. also, the fact that mitchell and conley were physically unable to contain dribble penetration was a huge advantage in the end. reggie jackson isn't going to roast any of phx's guards off the dribble in isolation, for example. but he just got wherever he wanted against utah.

tldr: this wasn't about the threes.

ElginTheGreat and acetabulum7 like this.
  8. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

They both shot nearly identical on 3’s so how is Utah’s “lack” of 3 point shooting even in the conversation? Like abeer said, it has more to do with Utah’s defense and probably some home cooking because that crowd was insane and for good reason. Sigh, I miss our home crowd.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

There was a long stretch in the third quarter (or at least it felt long) where Utah couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and went like 2 for 10 from 3 that I believe he is referring to.

There was definitely a lot that contributed to that loss though for the Jazz.

it kinda sucks that I am not able to enjoy their meltdown more since it was to the Clippers. I have never liked them. Lol

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    King3 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

sure, but the clips had that stretch in the first half. the teams shot nearly identically from three. utah couldn't contain dribble penetration and couldn't produce it on the other end. that and gobert's inability to be effective on either end against ultra-small lineups is the story.

ok, one other story that loomed huge in the second half: utah couldn't take care of the ball. 16 turnovers to the clippers' 6. 6! that's just not enough defensive pressure, period, which again, i think was because mitchell and conley were both playing on one leg.

i felt bad for both of those guys, as i think if they're healthy, utah has a chance to win their only title, probably ever.

though i can't say i feel bad for jazz fans, who, as a collective unit, seem pretty a******-heavy.

ElginTheGreat and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Clips were a historically great shooting team in the regular season? That's what I was told.

They signed shooters, spread the floor for their two stars all season, and PO's and were successful?

Who would have thought? LOL.

And Mann going off? Goodness. This has been a strange year.

12. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Kuz scoring 30+ ppg, or hell even 20+ ppg is not realistic, but we do need role players who can go off for 30 every handful of games and not just completely wilt when either of AD/Lebron are out.

When the season ended for us, my initial reaction was we need shooters, but watching these playoffs, it's more like we need players whose primary talent is scoring who can also happen to shoot the 3.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, anomalies for players up and down the roster, almost everyone shot 40% from three, almost everyone shot a career-high, too.

they've had a great year. i'm skeptical it's because of tyronn lue, though.

anyway, can we talk about reggie jackson? how much money will this playoff run make him? if you're between schroder and jackson, who do you take? and the clippers won't be able to keep him.

14. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    It's a good thing Utah had the DPOY on their side. :ADeyeshift:

tada, RasAlgethi, JSM and 5 others like this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

A lot of it because of Lue and some of the adjustments he made offensively.

He's a top 5 head coach. When we were on the brink of hiring him, LFR called him a top 10 offensive coach.

And he just out coached Snyder.

He's been terrific and a clear upgrade from Doc.

Anyway, I'd go after Jackson. I'm done with Schroder. He left a sour taste in my mouth.

As far as keeping him? Won't Ballmer pay anything to keep a contending squad together? He could certainly afford it.

16. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

Utah should've won that series... massive choke jobs all around. How do you lose four straight when you are better on paper? And losing two straight against a Kawhi-less Clippers team? Donovan Mitchell is a superstar, IMO, but how do you let your team get beat like that 4x in a row? And we better not see Rudy Gobert get called underrated or a DPOY again. This guy can't even score over a traffic cone so who cares if he can play great defense. Gobert+Ben Simmons deserve each other... Philly should call up Utah and trade Ben for Mitchell, lol.

King3 likes this.
  17. BangBoomPow

Nah, this was just a massive choke job. Utah was the better team but couldn't close. Up 25 points and a massive choke job. Lue is a decent coach but top 5 is a stretch.

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

wasnt just a choke job, clipps adjusted n made Gobert useless, Utah couldn't take advantage of Gobert height advantage on other end. By time it was down to 10, Synder should've just benched Gobert n maybe have Ingles play C put him on Morris and Bogdan on Mann, Bogdan was decent enough not to give up to wide open 3s to Mann

19. BangBoomPow

That doesn't make Lue a top five head coach.... It just means Snyder isn't a good coach. He should've just played Favors. 25 pt lead and in the 2nd half, entire Utah team was outscored by Mann and Jackson. That's just a chokejob.

King3 and abeer3 like this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

with what money? they don't have bird rights--only early bird on a vet min. unless ballmer cheats, anyone offering him over MLE money is going to be able to trump the clips' offer. and this isn't an arenas case like THT. only way he's a clipper next year is if they do some dirty pat riley s***.

so we can't get him, but chicago or dallas (who could both use him) could offer him 2 years 35 million and net him more long-run cash than the full 4-year MLE that is basically his max on the clippers.

with bbp here. if lue was a genius, we would have seen it before this. and they still might have lost this series if utah's backcourt was healthy. the sun is shining on the clippers' a**.