Lakers VS Slippers Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by SFGOLDRUSHER, Jul 10, 2019.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Jeanie went to school for business. For being 6 years since Jerry Buss passed away and even longer than that considering he was in poor health before he departed, I would say business is good!

[​IMG]

She honored her late father by keeping her brother employed and for doing things her father already did!

Let's not forget that Jerry West was an in-house hire and Dr. Buss intended for him to be a co-coach with Riles before West took it upon himself during the intro presser to spontaneously hand the entire "show" off to Riles. Speaking of Riles, he too was an in-house hire.

So when Jeanie turns to something familiar, I can't fault her for it. Cause it worked for pops.

That being said, she has handled the business end and that brand power is still shining bright, but she does need to look into restructuring our FO infrastructure imo. She needs to start finding folks that really know how the new NBA works.

TIME and lakerjones like this.
  2. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Totally agree. I try to think outside my predilections. I love Magic, but concede that he has personality traits that don't really tend to make him an ideal FO person. Jeannie has some emotional angles, that I don't really get behind 100%. But all that said, they are kicking butt right now and have retooled this roster. It's a positive development IMHO and she deserves some props for her efforts. And this whole comment about it not being her, and it is other people in the organization that are responsible it totally ludicrous. They say that WHILE denigrating her for NOT hiring good FO personnel. Think about that!!! They are screwing her both ways. She's is NOT responsible for the good things that are happening here, others are, yet the others she has working with her, are horrible hires because ....... WWWWWW TF???

Anyone who is not willing to wait and see what the results are from recent changes, I have no use for. People are just being negative to give themselves street cred. F it!!

I'm not saying Jeannie cannot improve, but I suspect she is going to. The way I see, she has had to overcome obstacles and she is taking them on, one by one, and knocking them down. 10 years down the road, I suspect, she is going to be regarded as one of the more savvy owners in the NBA. She might give in to her instinct for emotional solutions, so I know she has her risks, but her rewards could be very high on the other side of that equation. For me, I am giving her the benefit of doubt for now.

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    And yet, my guess is you hold Magic ultimately in very low regard and figure he blind sided the Lakers. ????? Am I right? Am I right?

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Come on Dude. You know the story with Magic getting pissed and taking his ball and going home because Rob was a grinder and getting pissed Mag not around enough and started chirping about him. None of that Jeanie knew was going to happen even if Magic told her up front he still had to tend to his other empire. Does not negate her 2 hires post Jim and Mitch were kick a** to turn the franchise 180 in 2 1/2 years.

5. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

Love the discussion here and I don't want to side track it by any means. But I will say, as someone who has a little insight from time to time about the Lakers inner workings, this attribution game is a little tough to play. A lot of the time, many different people are involved in decisions. Sometimes certain people's opinions are overruled as well. It's tough to really assign blame and credit to particular people, as a lot of the time it is a team effort.

Jeanie, Rob, and Magic, have all made some, in hindsight, fantastic calls, as well as some poorly thought through ones too. It's part of corporate life, but hopefully their positive decisions will outweigh everything else in the long run!

tada, SamsonMiodek, TIME and 4 others like this.
  6. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

So about the FO...

lavar-is-trash likes this.
  7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yikes. Not a good look.

8. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Won't hurt us in the short term and who knows about the long term. Could be that we have someone else in mind, with all the new coaches here, I wouldn't be surprised.

9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Wow.

Cookie likes this.
  10. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I know @LTLakerFan is gonna have a cow when he hears this news.

I'm curious why Ryan West is going away, and where he is heading? Maybe @Mr. Rambis can discover some of the behind the scenes story on this for us.

Personally, I'm not thrilled at this development, but if Ryan's goal is to be the GM of a team, I don't blame him for moving on since Jeanie seems locked to Rob for the foreseeable future. Maybe Jesse Buss is moving up the ladder and taking Ryan's role?

Cookie likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

F***. What have I been ragging about for a couple of years and most recently. Have only seen the headline so far and have not read story if there is one. He'll be a respected and talented executive for some other team now. Son of a b**** .... let a second West get away.

alam1108 and Kenzo like this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

Rumor seems to be Mazzella who was with South Bay being elevated to the role. Apparently West’s role had diminished since Magic and Rob took over.

TIME likes this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

14. ElginTheGreat

Guess we’ll see how this goes in the long run. I wanted to see us beef up the front office not lose one of our good guys.

15. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Hmmm. Well, I know literally nothing about Mazzella. Here's hoping he's really good.

LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  16. ElginTheGreat

Agreed. The consensus has always been that South Bay was well run. Hopefully it’s true.

17. ElginTheGreat

18. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I don’t like the sound of this. Maybe he’s going to the Clippers to work with his dad.

alam1108, tada, ElginTheGreat and 3 others like this.
  19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

....a hiring based on emotional attachments on an inexperienced bpo, who wouldve saw all the crap that came afterwards:sick::wasntme:

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

so how exactly does someone get pissed like that when you noted his envision is actually in place now?