Lakers VS Slippers Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by SFGOLDRUSHER, Jul 10, 2019.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

The perfect trophy for Ballz's windows (like Jeanie's) overlooking their practice floor, and banner image for their non NBA championship s*** awards hung from the new rafters.

[​IMG]

2. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Then there's this coming Ballz drama to look forward to with popcorn.

Clippers Rumors: Kawhi Leonard, Paul George May Not Get New 4-Year Max Contracts (Ya Think?)
    PAUL KASABIANJUNE 28, 2023

AP PHOTO/MATT YORK
    LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS STARS KAWHI LEONARD AND PAUL GEORGE ARE BOTH ELIGIBLE FOR FOUR-YEAR MAX CONTRACTS THIS OFFSEASON, BUT IT'S NOT A GUARANTEE THAT THE TEAM WILL GIVE THOSE DEALS TO THE DUO.

ESPN'S ZACH LOWE SPOKE ON THE TOPIC ON THE LATEST EDITION OF THE LOWE POST PODCAST (1:00:45 MARK).

"THE BIGGEST SUBPLOT IN THE NBA THAT NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT IS PAUL GEORGE AND KAWHI LEONARD WITH THE CLIPPERS, BEING EXTENSION ELIGIBLE. IN KAWHI'S CASE IN JULY. I THINK IN PAUL GEORGE'S CASE IN SEPTEMBER. BECAUSE I JUST DON'T THINK, BASED ON WHAT I'VE HEARD, THAT IF THOSE GUYS WALK IN THE DOOR AND ASK FOR FOUR-YEAR MAX EXTENSIONS, I DON'T THINK THE CLIPPERS ARE JUST GIVING THEM TO THEM."

LEONARD AND GEORGE HAVE BOTH BEEN SENSATIONAL FOR THE CLIPPERS, EVEN LEADING THE TEAM TO ITS FIRST-EVER WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS SERIES IN 2021.

LEONARD, A FIVE-TIME ALL-STAR AND TWO-TIME NBA FINALS MVP, HAS POSTED 25.3 POINTS AND 6.7 REBOUNDS PER GAME SINCE ARRIVING IN L.A. IN 2019. GEORGE, AN EIGHT-TIME ALL-STAR, HAS AVERAGED 23.2 POINTS AND 6.3 REBOUNDS.

HOWEVER, BOTH PLAYERS HAVE SUFFERED NUMEROUS INJURIES THAT HAVE SIDELINED THEM FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.

Leonard has missed 147 regular-season games over the past four years, including the entire 2021-22 campaign with a partial tear of his right ACL.

George has sat for 119 regular-season games during that span, notably missing three months in 2021-22 with a torn UCL in his right elbow.

Lowe added more commentary on Leonard in particular.

...I mean Kawhi is a black box, I have no idea what's going on with Kawhi. Maybe in some quarters there would be a willingness to recognize the reality that 'we don't play enough for this' and there is negotiating wiggle room. But sometimes with stars, there isn't. Sometimes with stars, you offend them by daring to negotiate. And if that's the case, then there's another wild card in the market as soon as next week because if you know, like, this is not an unknown to the powers to be in Los Angeles or with those representing those players. This is not an unknown playing field."

He also previously said this on the June 21 edition of the Lowe Postpodcast:

"About two days ago, the buzz I started to hear was not trade-related, but that the Clippers were at least considering in the event that Kawhi Leonard, who's eligible for an extension in July, and Paul George, who's eligible for an extension in September... In the event that they asked for an ironclad, four-year max extension apiece, the Clippers were actually prepared to put up a fight.

"I'm not 100 percent sure this is true, this is just the buzz I've been getting, that they're prepared to have a discussion about, 'Listen guys, like, you don't play. You've played like half the games together. We can't give you going into your late 30s, ironclad, guaranteed, all the years extensions.'"

There's also been some chatter this offseason about the possibility of breaking up the Clippers core.

NBA insider Marc Steinreported on June 20 that the Clippers were "at a minimum, attempting to gauge Paul George's trade value and, to hear some describe it, giving real consideration to the idea of disassembling the Kawhi Leonard/George tandem."

Last year's Clippers team earned the No. 5 seed in the Western Conference playoffs but fell to the Phoenix Suns in five games. George missed the entire series with a sprained right knee. Leonard missed the final three games of the series with a right knee sprain as well.

Ultimately, the Clippers may have some big decisions to make regarding the future direction of the team. The Leonard-George tandem, on paper, could very well be good enough to lead L.A. to an NBA title. But injuries have unfortunately capped the team's potential, leading to questions about what's next.

Leonard and George can also both become free agents after the 2023-24 season if they decline their 2024-25 player options, so the Clippers risk losing them for nothing if they walk in free agency next offseason.

SNAKE
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  3. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

4. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Extend both asap. Max money, max length!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Clippers = We was until we wasn't!

Lakers = :Trophy2:

6. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

It is amusing to look back at that 2019 summer. The consensus was that the Clippers had this super deep team around Kawhi and PG with Bev/Lou/Harrell/Zubac/Harkless/Shamet/JaMychal Green/McGruder. That supporting cast f***ing sucks lol.

Would not be surprised to start hearing the "Kawhi wants to come to the Lakers" stuff if the Clippers don't offer him the 4 year max extension.

Cookie, abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Well the general consensus has been that Ballz is going to need to have them both signed for the opening of that glorious access to all those toilets. He's kinda caught between the proverbial toilet's seat and its tank.

:Crazyartest:

8. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

If the #3 pick (Scoot Henderson) for PG was ever actually a real trade offer, the Clippers are fools for turning that down. Scoot is the kind of hard-working, high-intensity kind of young guy that they need and (thankfully) do not have.

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    the Clippers and those two deserve each other

10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

yeah, zero chance they move into the new arena without either of those two. hopefully both are brought back on huge deals that end up completely killing the clippers in the long run

11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I think that's also why they'll eventually get serious with a Harden offer. He is going to want to open the Toilet Bowl with as many names as possible. They might not get max years, but they're all going to get a temp bag from him.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

guessing george and leonard will both accept one fewer year at max money, and the clips will get harden for nothing.

i still think kawhi and PG won't be healthy enough for them to win a title, but they'll win a lot again.

and of course go 4-0 against us in their super bowls.

13. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

It would make a lot of sense to tag availability for a certain amount of games and playoff games incentives in there too. But I think that still counts toward the cap (?) and all these prima donnas and their agents would probably balk at that anyway.

abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  14. sirronstuff

I’m pretty sure most athletes look at injuries as freak accident kind of things and view themselves in the most positive light possible. I’m also pretty sure established players would feel somewhat offended at the idea of an incentive laden contract, and would, in nearly 100% of cases, accept guaranteed money money over incentives. Just my take.

but I would respect the hell out of a star coming off of an injury choosing to sign a “show me you’re healthy” incentive laden contract

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think that like harden, both george and leonard might find that the market wouldn't be teeming with huge offers. i mean, harden opted into his heavily discounted rate from last year rather than test FA because teams basically said "nope" when his agent sniffed around. imagine same would happen to george and leonard.

so perhaps this argues against them taking any discount, as had harden not done that last year, he'd be richer right now. i assumed harden and morey had a wink wink deal wherein he got his cash back this year. but i guess harden did, too...

clippers duo had to be watching how that played out.

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Then what the f*** are you paying PG and Kawhi a combined $91m for?!

abeer3, 432J, SamsonMiodek and 5 others like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

18. sirronstuff

Wow, that’s a big slap.

SamsonMiodek and Cookie like this.
  19. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

Ouch

:Adburn:

sirronstuff and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  20. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

:Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

sirronstuff likes this.