Lakers VS Slippers Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by SFGOLDRUSHER, Jul 10, 2019.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Another reason he won't retire: what's he going to do after this?

He has no celebrity to him, no personality, is shy, and has a creepy laugh. Acting is out. Anything in broadcasting is out. He doesn't have a billion dollar company or a podcast platform even. Front office work? HA! Coaching seems unlikely. Maybe he could be a development coach in the shadows, but is that really the path he wants...I doubt it.

karacha, abeer3, BadCoaching and 3 others like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Won't have to play probably another half season at the start next year as he rehabs and everyone is anal about making sure he is perfect from whatever next procedure he has done and when he chooses to do it. Seriously there's "Cancun" and such first and he's not going to wipe that out by doing it super early, I would imagine. The old Shaq mentality .... hurt it on company time and will rehab it on company time.

Speaking of Shaq, I have to say I am rather amazed at the shape he is in now and the weight he has lost, well past his playing days. Did not expect that to go well and for a few years it didn't seem to be.

Cookie and Pioneer10 like this.
  3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

^Barkley looks like he's lost a pound or two.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. Casual+

Casual+ - Rookie -

5. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Clips just load managing success.

After seemingly 50 year of failure, their knees can’t take too much winning all at once. Next season they’ll win 2 playoff games and see how they feel.

:Laugh:

Cookie, Khmrp, SamsonMiodek and 3 others like this.
  6. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Remember how Nash robbed us? “I want the money.” Kawhi will be like that for next two years to get his $95 million.

7. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

I don't believe in curses, but I am certain the Clippers are cursed. I think it remains that way until Donald Sterling dies.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i guess i think of a curse as things fully out of your control, and i feel like they've had a lot of stuff under their control that they just didn't get right. and throwing all the eggs in the kawhi basket is one.

again, kawhi could/should have just come there with the supporting cast they had in place at the time. it was possible, but they let their fear of missing out on kawhi force them into a bad trade for george. and this isn't hindsight bias. people thought at the time that it was an exorbitant price for george--more than what we paid for AD, who was and is a younger, more valuable player (and, ironically, equally (un)healthy!).

whatever, though. it's good for us if they don't establish themselves. so if it's a curse, go gypsies!

and eligible for an extension. does he ask for that? how do you handle it if you're the clippers front office? yikes.

Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  9. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

probably give it to him with the move to the new stadium looming. ballmer knows they may very well never sign another player of his caliber again and he sure as hell isn't going to let the team move in there while they're rebuilding

they're stuck with him and PG

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    what is crazy is playing your bad knee players 40+ minutes in a playoff game. Probably not a great idea in retrospect.

11. 4dm68

4dm68 - Rookie -

Its by design, they knew Kawhi will not make it, so they ran him to the ground. Now it will not look as bad when they trade him.

12. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

No one is trading for Kawhi. If they are, you're getting back half the "Porzingis package" for him. He's about to make 2x 45mil. NO THANK YOU.

13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    yes, for better or worse, they are stuck with him

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i should qualify my statement: you have to just keep kawhi and PG UNLESS they are problematic off the court. i feel like kawhi might be--there's a ton of smoke going back years suggesting that he's hard to deal with. IF that's true, then i just move off him in a porzingis package. paul george plus a porzingis package plus their existing roster should be in mix for the playoffs.

if all that stuff about kawhi is just made up, i just keep him, though. i'm for high ceilings.

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Good luck with that one

16. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

He should become a spokesman for for Koehler.

17. LTLakerFan

Substitute fun flushing sounds for his creepy laugh.

:Magic Brows:

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

frank is probably the one green lighting the load mgmt stuff

Cookie, PurPle n GoLd 1 and abeer3 like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i guess he can only be talking to himself and kawhi? it's not as though the other players don't appear to be trying to win in the regular season.

anyway, silver's pumping his fist right now.

20. LTLakerFan

Run it back .... yessir .... Snake, Paula, Russ being Russ and Ty Lue

[​IMG]
    BY ANDREW GREIF
    STAFF WRITERFOLLOW
    APRIL 27, 2023 3:23 PM PT

Two days after the Clippers’ season ended in a first-round postseason loss with stars Kawhi Leonard and Paul George injured yet again, their top basketball executive said the team’s future still revolves around the duo and also praised coach Tyronn Lue.

“Injuries suck,” Lawrence Frank said Thursday.

Yet the team’s president of basketball operations quickly added that he did not want the effect of the injuries “to mask a disappointing regular season,” voicing as much frustration with the season’s ultimate result as the team’s day-to-day process.

Noting the past 28 NBA championships have been won by a top-three seed, Frank said the regular season must matter more to the Clippers and that “all of us, starting with me, we can compete harder every day.”

[​IMG]
    CLIPPERS

Plaschke: Clippers need to blow it up. Trade Kawhi Leonard. Or Paul George. Or both
    April 26, 2023

The team entered the season talking openly of its championship expectations but not even a week into the regular season George was already criticizing the team’s lack of practice intensity. At season’s end the Clippers needed three consecutive wins to earn the Western Conference’s fifth seed and avoid the play-in tournament. One of those wins, against an overmatched Portland roster, wasn’t secured until the final seconds, and afterward Leonard said that “we just needed more urgency in the game.”

“We have to be honest with ourselves and we have to look in the mirror,” Frank said in his season-ending news conference. “It starts with me and we have to get back to honoring and respecting the regular season. We have to compete harder, more consistently and we have to earn it.”

Their stars’ lack of availability because of injuries or the team’s approach of managing their workloads complicated how much continuity the Clippers could build, with Leonard and George playing 38 games together, with a 24-14 record, and 142 total games in four seasons. They last played a playoff game on June 14, 2021.

George sprained his knee in late March and wouldn’t have been cleared until early May, Frank said. Leonard missed the last three games of the first-round loss to Phoenix with a torn meniscus, a diagnosis the team learned of after Game 2. Leonard’s latest injury occurred in the same knee in which he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in 2021, and Frank said that Leonard’s ACL is “intact.”

[​IMG]
    CLIPPERS

Clippers enter offseason with questions concerning Kawhi Leonard, Paul George and more
    April 26, 2023

Whether Leonard will opt for surgery to repair the meniscus has yet to be decided, but “regardless of the treatment, Kawhi will be ready for next year,” Frank said.

George, on Tuesday, voiced frustration with the injuries while also expressing optimism that the team could still reach its ultimate, championship goals, and that he and Leonard have productive years still ahead of them. Frank echoed those stances, saying they will remain the focal point of the Clippers’ championship pursuit next season.

“You look at the total minutes that those two have played together and where we’re at, it’s at the highest of the high levels,” Frank said. “And so that’s what gives me great optimism with both those guys, that with a little luck and surrounding them … with players that fit them that we’re going to be able to achieve our goals.”

Leonard and George can opt out of their contracts after the 2023-24 season and become free agents. Leonard, on July 12, and George, on Sept. 1, will be eligible for contract extensions up to four years and $220 million each. Asked whether the team will offer those extensions Frank did not explicitly answer yes, but called the wings “great partners, and we want to keep them as Clippers for a long time.”

“When you study past NBA champions, they have a top-five guy in their team and Kawhi has shown that when healthy he can be the best player in the world,” Frank said. “Paul is [an] eight-time all-star now. So we’re going to continue to build around those guys and look for every which way and just like they do.”

[​IMG]
    CLIPPERS

Clippers star Paul George says he’s ‘very optimistic that our time will come’
    April 25, 2023

His stars’ lack of availability often left Lue frustrated, leading many within the league to question his desire to return as coach for a fourth season. Lue said Tuesday he expected to be the Clippers’ coach again.

“Why wouldn’t he be back? Of course he’s back,” Frank said. “So I mean Ty’s a terrific coach and we’re excited to have him as our coach.”

With Leonard and George at the core of their plans, the Clippers will need to be creative in finding upgrades around them. The league’s new collective bargaining agreement levies punitive penalties against top-spending teams that spend more than $17.5 million above the luxury tax line — a class that would include the Clippers under owner Steve Ballmer. Frank said the team would like to re-sign point guard Russell Westbrook and center Mason Plumlee, who are both set to be free agents, and Eric Gordon, whose contract isn’t guaranteed until late June.

“We’re blessed to have a chairman who’s all in to try to capitalize on the window we’re in,” Frank said. “At the same time, it’s our job to be responsible and make responsible decisions.”

Cookie and Panko like this.