Lakers Vs Nuggets: Western Conference Finals Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by karacha, Sep 15, 2020.

1. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Our physicality and their fatigue ( I guess) should give us an advantage .

Murray is going to torch anyone not named Caruso though

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Not worried about the Nuggets either, although I expect it to go 6 just because they have more heart than any team we’ve faced so far.

We can double Murray like we did Harden if need be, and we can actually play McGee and Dwight this series, so we might even have the rim protection we couldn’t have in the half court against Houston.

Either way, as much as I expect us to handle the Nuggets pretty well, not sure we win game one after our week off and their high from winning game seven.

Cookie, abeer3, LTLakerFan and 4 others like this.
  3. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

I fully expect a tough series, 6/7 games with us advancing to hopefully smash those guys 4-0

Cookie and Barnstable like this.
  4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I expect us to be thoroughly prepared for the Finals. Denver is a worthy opponent, but it does seem to be hard to see them beating us.

have to tip your hat to their resilience and heart even if you don't like them. But Porter Jr. sure threw up tiny numbers for being so vocal lolz.

5. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Denver goes as Jokic go, every posession goes thru him. Dude is an AWESOME player, love watching good Euro guys in the NBA (him, Pau, Dirk, Dražen, Luka, Sabonis). Smart play, after smart play, a joy to watch.

Wino, raviator, DeeZee and 4 others like this.
  6. BadCoaching

BadCoaching - Rookie -

Caruso gotta slow up Murray. At least give him hell and tire him.

Gotta make contact and take it right at Jockitch early, get him in foul trouble. Post up on him, drive at him..
    He's going to go off no matter, but getting him to the bench for an extra 3-5mins would be preferable.

It was an extreme pleasure watching him dismantle the Clippers, some of the best ball I've seen in a long time.

Wino, LTLakerFan, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  7. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

No elite wing player.

Elite guard player (like Dame, CJ, Harden, and Westbrick).

Elite Center - rare these days.

I think this is the preferred matchup for the Lakers - especially after raising their defense to handle Harden and Dame.

Let’s not forget that Utah and Clips has 3-1 leads. We have Rudy in Javale and Dwight. And a better Kawhi/PG with Bron.

As long as Kuz, Pope, Morris Rondo keep up with Grant, Porter, Milsap, and Harris, should go no more than 6.

I like Dwight to average 10 and 8 this series.

I also like the small lineup for space - Bron will feast. And AD is as always THE X factor - will neutralize Jok and make him work defensively.

JD, Wino, LTLakerFan and 1 other person like this.
  8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    we can throw more looks at Jokic for sure. It will be good to see those guys get some run too. If you are going to win a championship, you want to feel like you competed and contributed. Nothing more hollow than winning and not playing.

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Lakers in 5. Just like everyone else, they have no answer for LeBron and AD. They can't match our size and physicality.

10. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Everybody and their grandma predicted chicken wings, instead we get chicken nuggets.

11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I like that boy, fearless

Barnstable likes this.
  12. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

That's the thing. Other than Murray I like everyone on the Nuggets roster, and even though I don't like him, gotta respect Murray backing up the cocky attitude when it counts.

Wino, LTLakerFan, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i've been surprised a bunch already in the playoffs, so i won't make a prediction. i expect the lakers to win, but denver just knocked off the title favorite in pretty convincing fashion, and they played us close this year. they've got to be very confident right now, and i think their coach is better than ours, as is their roster from 3-10. i like our top 2 a lot, though.

14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I do respect Murray. Look, he's young, he's cocky, but he is a very promising player who is only 23 years old... he's going to be a real star in this league. I always ask myself - if this guy was on my team, would I mind his attitude etc.? Certainly not. I like that he is confident, and he showed up in the biggest game of the season for them and demolished the Clippers, who were the #1 favorite to win the title. I don't like guys who are cocky, but play dirty, don't have the talent or any way to actually back it up on the court. Like, say, Beverley. Murray, I don't mind at all. Good kid, works hard, entertaining to watch.

With that said, put Caruso on him and him see what a real perimeter defense is without having any dirty plays or altercation on or off the court. I can't wait to see that.

Now, Jokic.. is just boss, man. He's a cool guy, how can you not like someone who plays like that, clearly loves the game and truly innovates the sport? Kind of like Harden (because I think Harden does innovate, is very skilled and works hard on his moves), but more fun overall and in a better system the Harden's or MDA's.

I can't wait for the WCF to start. I know one thing for sure: we should not take these guys lightly; they are a very dangerous team, they are not quitters and they can give us a hard time if we relax too much. Get a feel for them in game one, win or lose, make appropriate adjustments if necessary and don't let go until it's over. This is why we have LeBron and experienced guys like Rondo, Dwight, McGee and even Green. They have been there, they know what needs to be done. As AC would say to Bron: "Let's go, lead us!"

15. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

If you don't like Maple Jordan... you shouldn't like Kobe ;) Arogant kid, that talks a lot but can back it up. I'll take that over Embiid's or Westbrooks of the league.

16. Toneloc

Toneloc - Rookie -

spot on, this Denver team is legit, and we should all be pumped (and rested) for some high quality basketball come friday... but this is Lebron's moment; he and his legacy will forever be judged by the fate of this season: the spotlights of LA, not having to face kawhi, etc... the world is hanging on his shoulders...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  17. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Do NOT underestimate these guys. They just came back from down 3-1 TWICE - they're feeling REALLY confident and I believe that confidence will carry right over. We can't go down 0-1 to this team because they're a lot better than both Portland and Houston and they're thriving off momentum.

18. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

They ain't doing that s*** against the Lakers. Lakers in 5 or 6. Lakers are winning it all.

ElginTheGreat, Toklat, Wino and 7 others like this.
  19. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

I prefer Denver over the Clips. Kawhi grows as the moment gets bigger, put him on a stage like the WCF and all bets are off. I'm glad he chose to play with PG, a guy who does the opposite. He cancelled out one of Kawhi's best qualities.

The fact that Jokic has been playing out of his mind is actually why I feel good about this series. He got the best of Gobert and feasted against the Clips. But each time we played them, Jokic could barely make it to the 4th qtr between Davis, Howard and McGee. Hell I think LeBron picked him up a couple times. Jokic will put up numbers, but bringing home 4 W's against our guys means he'd have to outplay our guys quite a bit.

I'm more worried about Murray, and a few of their perimeter players. When a guard gets hot from 30+ feet, is there any NBA defense that can effectively stop that? Our perimeter defense leveled up last round, but I tend to think our interior defense has been better for longer.

This is what stands out to me the most... of all the teams left playing, none of them have "been there". It might not matter what the other teams do, I'm prepared to see LeBron turn it up in the next few weeks.

20. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Well if a team matches up well with Jokic it has to be the Lakers: AD/Howard and some extent McGee (who is still liability overall in the playoffs) allows the Lakers them to defend Jokic one on one without doubling.

The Lakers loss in the bubble was when they threw some weird lineups playing 4 out shooters lineups that the Lakers always take awhile to adjust. Murray is a tough guard for the Lakers but again their should be bodies to throw at him: Caruso/Rondo/Kuzma/KCP should all be good. Green footspeed would be bad.

Guys like Harris and Grant seem to be either too short or light to bother Lebron too much but I have to respect what they did to Kawhii and George.

Lakers should be 5 again but you have to respect Murray/Jokic so go Lakers in 6. Lebron's the best player in the series but the ability of AD to guard a guy like Jokic solo while also being effective on the Murray/Jokic PnR on the show or if switched really give the Lakers a big advantage.