Lakers Talking With Dion Waiters

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Rock, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Ireland keeps comparing the signing to Dwight... except at one point Dwight was a top five player and Dion has never been close to that

Going to welcome him and hope he does well... but that comparison is absurd.

TIME, BangBoomPow, Pioneer10 and 2 others like this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

That's one hell of a season

TIME, sirronstuff, Pioneer10 and 5 others like this.
  3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Talk about failing upward...

TIME, sirronstuff, Pioneer10 and 7 others like this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It’s fine. He could be Lance-like, he could come in and prove us wrong like Dwight did because this is his last chance. I didn’t want to sign him, but he does bring something we lacked off the bench, someone who can get their own shot. I’m gonna be annoyed if he takes Caruso’s minutes and not Rondo’s though, and KCP has earned all of his time.

5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

to much negativity with this signing, he was the most talented of the names that were floating around, he's just low IQ in terms of dealing with the season he had with Mia. Worse case scenario he sulks at the end of the bench and Rob send hims home. Best case we have a semi Lou Will counter

7. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

Again, worst-case scenario, we drop the guy and he's out of the NBA. People like Dion don't learn their lesson until it's their last chance. Considering Rich Paul is his agent, Rich Paul would never allow Dion Waiters into the Lakers and ruin LeBron's team unless he felt confident that Dion can turn it around. We gave up nothing to get Dion. High reward, low risk. I'm just glad we can now focus on our team moving forward. Let's go Lakers!

alam1108, lakerjones, Khmrp and 2 others like this.
  8. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    I hope Laker management knows what they're doing here. It seems to me he's been a screwup with missing screws. Hopefully for our sake he has left his antics behind or LeGM err I mean Laker management will show him the door.

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    “But guys!!! I’ve changed!!!!”

:Fishwink::Crazyartest:

We’ll see how this all works out. From a pure risk reward scenario, the potential return on this could be off the charts. If it doesn’t work, it cost very little.

Toneloc, jbiggs, Kenzo and 5 others like this.
  10. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Can someone explain to me how a journeyman player creates an off the charts return?

I remember I suggested bringing back IT... who was at one point an MVP candidate... and was laughed at by two forums for suggesting such madness

I've not watched much of Waiters other than his NCAA run and some random games... and he does look better than Daniels in terms of creating his own shot... but where does this reputation for potential game changing come from? It wasn't like he was the top recruit out of high school (he was 31st)... it wasn't like he set the NCAA on fire (his team did well, but he only averaged 12.6 points). He had a couple decent seasons but he's significantly worse than Clarkson.

Please tell me why some of you hold him in such high regard. I'm not arguing as I haven't watched him so much, but I don't understand.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...dan+Clarkson&player_id2=clarkjo01&idx=players

ETA: I just noticed that he's even worse than Michael Beasley... even last year's version

https://www.basketball-reference.co...Dion+Waiters&player_id2=waitedi01&idx=players

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

You not seeing the difference with his size and at least the capability to play some defense compared to IT is pretty comical. They both can address, somewhat our need for another ball handler and shot creator, but again with his size he has an advantage for us too not being a midget who isn’t as fast due to injury as he once was. Does that help you a “little”? Vogel .... newsflash ... values Defense.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Pioneer10 likes this.
  12. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

You missed the point of my question.

My point about IT was that at least he was once great... so you could understand taking a risk on him.

But Waiters was never better offensively than either Clarkson or Beasley.

As I said earlier, I will be rooting for him and hope he succeeds... but I asked the question why some here thought he could be a game changer.

I was hoping for more insight than he's less sh!tty at defense than IT

13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

As some have said Clarkson would help on offense. When it’s needed. Waiters apparently showed he has enough left in his workout at only 28 years of age to help too. He can play some defense. IT can’t. Did you watch any of his highlights put up yesterday? Looks as capable on offense as Reggie Jackson who helped the Clippers fill a similar need.

14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Man you love your hyperbole. :D Waiters is not a game changer, it’s a fine signing, could be useless, could be decent, nothing more. As for IT, you proposed a trade as far I remember, not a signing that costs us no players of any use, not the same thing, just like signing Morris didn’t cost us Green and Kuz like trading for the other Morris would have. IT is also badly damaged goods, and at his height with his speed gone is greatly diminished and even more of a negative factor on the defensive end. Talk about holding on to being “laughed at” though, as if it’s that serious, that was like 3 months ago or more when you proposed trading for IT.

alam1108, tada, Cookie and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.