Lakers/NBA Salary Cap Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Jul 30, 2018.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

[​IMG]

First came the quakes then came the Kawhkes...so I was down underneath my desk for a minute and was ready to come out but @OmarE asked me to run some numbers...so I did:

f*** Kawhi, George and the cLips primer:

We have non-bird rights (5% annual escalators) on Danny Green so his 2 yr 30m deal looks like yr1 14.6m, yr2 15.4m.

So out of our 32.14m in cap, we're left with 18.4m.

We have early bird rights (8% annual escalators) on Kcp so his 2yr 16m deal looks like yr1 7.7m, yr2 8.3m.

So now we have about 11.6m in cap space remaining.

We have non bird rights on McGee so his 2 yr 8.2m is probably a good portion of the 4.8m room exception.

So if we continue the trend of 2yr deals to line up with Bron's player option in 2021, we can offer at best a 2yr 24m.

Oh and btw, clips perimeter D is going to be lit with Kawhi, George and Bev, but they still a bunch of p's.

2. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    The Clippers also have Harrell, Lou Williams, McGruder, Zubac, etc... They are very deep... They just have no big man which means it's up to AD to abuse them inside.

Beverly / Lou
    Kawhi /...
    George / McGruder
    Harrell / Harkless
    Zubac

Thats a crazy core. Shooting, perimeter defense, 2 MVP type players, 6th man of the year..

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Watch them sign Boogie...

alam1108 likes this.
  4. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

^^^ That was my first thought too

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Seen people asking this, made me curious. Could we undo the Washington part of this deal and keep Mo, Bonga, and Jones since we need bodies? Trading them freed up what, $3 mil? Doubt this is the case, probably way too late, but just curious, maybe Washington didn’t even want them.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I would think reneging on any part of the deal now would be a fiasco for Rob. We just need him to continue building the roster. I think today we'll see the other dominoes fall. We need to use our cap space before the AD trade. Hopefully no more KCP deals.

7. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Actually, to get an extra 3 million or more, they could re-do the DG deal, make it 3 for 12 rather than 2 for 15.

Then get Morris, Cook, Bradley.

8. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    That made me more depressed losing Mo and Bonga for nothing...

9. therealdeal

We only have a bit over 5 million left with some solid holes in the roster. I don't know what Avery Bradley's market is, but if we promised him a starting spot, I'd give him 2/11.5m right now. Hell, for him at that price I'd be willing to go more years to get him more guaranteed money.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and alam1108 like this.
  10. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Mo I agree. Bonga doesn't belong in the NBA right now.

Cookie likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

It was always about Bongo for me. The rest of everything I didn't care. I think I'm done.

[​IMG]

Cookie likes this.
  12. LTLakerFan

But .... [​IMG] .... ever since Pincus brought it up, and it was mentioned again by some other writer last night as possible to do with "multiple" FA contracts, I'm hoping stoopid rookie Pelinka factors in that "unlikely bonus" for 15% off on all these guys from their cap hits. That's a lot of extra money toward another player. Making the playoffs incentive vs not having made them last year. If Rob doesn't take advantage of that I will concede to @vasashi17 he has hacksawed his way through this process. :clap: :rofl:

13. vasashi17

You hold onto all your assets till the max slot is realized. Moe/Bonga/Jj/2022 2nd didn't have to be dumped. That could have easily happened once we knew Kawhi picked us. Instead we dumped cheap assets (that could have helped grease a trade later) for a net 2.2m in cap space. #Dumbping.

Also if you give AD his full trade kicker, you can offer him a large 3yr extension in January that takes him into 2022 when he can resign to a 35% max deal. That way there is no streets of having him opt out next summer and possibly leaving.

With all that being said, the Cook primer has it where his non-bird 2yr 6m deal has it as yr1 2.9m, yr2 3.1m so now our cap space is at 8.7m.

Also I love Pincus, but I disagree with all this unlikely bonus talk. That's wishful thinking and imho it ain't going to happen. We're around 9m right now in cap with McGee likely taking up our room exception.

14. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Ugh. Perhaps they rework the DG and/or KCP deals before signing - another year less money per- to get enough for Morris and Cousins.

15. LTLakerFan

Why? Someone asked you about it days ago and you explained it like it was in fact a THING. Now it's not? Just trying to understand because that's a big chunk of change available to us if true.

16. therealdeal

Because guys have to agree to that. At the end of the day that chunk of change is literally coming out of their pockets. Why take the chance you are missing money?

17. LTLakerFan

So I guess they don't see the money in their normal checks, whatever disbursement schedule that is. And it only gets paid to them at the end of the season after making the playoffs? OK that makes sense.

18. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

With Quinn Cook commiting for 3M6, this morning, this means we have 10m left (unless I’m missing something).

We also have to spend that 10m today so we can finalize the AD deal... meaning we probably offer it in some combination between Cousins/Morris/Rondo/Bradley (likely should be able to get 2 out of the 4.) which I don’t hate. These 4 are really the best available players left out on the market. We have to spend the 10m on someone... and all 4 fill a need for this team.

I would go with Cousins and Rondo to be honest. 7m to Boogie, 3 to Rondo. It truly is about the best we can do to fill out the roster at this point:

Rondo/Cook/Caruso
    Green/KCP/Daniels/THT
    Lebron/Dudley
    AD/Kuzma
    McGee/Cousins

Would still have 2 spots for minimum signings from any potential buyouts (fingers crossed for Iggy. Perfect fit to be the backup SF).

19. vasashi17

They call it unlikely for a reason bro.

Also fellas, when you work out the new contracts remember that all that (except for vet min Daniels, Dudz and room Mcgee) takes place before the AD trade.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  20. nzahir

nzahir Guest

Y’all forgetting Deng cap hold of 5M??