Lakers/NBA Salary Cap Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Jul 30, 2018.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  2. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I'm sure if we get Kawhi, nobody will blink an eye on JJ..but I did like JJ's potential and would have been a nice guy to have...but that's probably why we drafted THT right? Plus a few other SL guys look promisnig (Norvell, Caroline)...so we will hopefully be able to replace the 3 guys we sent out fairly easily and cheaply.

I like our options with Caruso, we need to make sure we get him back and some other team doesn't scoop him up on the low...he's got a Spurs-like attitude and he was KILLING western conf playoff teams down the stretch. Him as a backup or 3rd guard is going to be nice for our depth

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Can Lebron give Deng a part in Space Jam, so he can give us back the 5 million a year he is costing us:Noddingyes:

4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Not sure he's a good fit for that movie. But Lebron's connections in Hollywood are spreading so maybe a Walking Dead cameo.

5. Banners

Banners - Rookie -

Moving my arm chair GM chatter from Pelinka to here since you mentioned you had detailed out the spare JJ route.

Quick 'what if' scenario.
    What if the Pelicans said we will allow you to negotiate with a 3rd team, if you get AD to decline all of the $4 million trade kicker the Pelicans would have had to pay him.

The example you had with keeping JJ had the Pelicans paying $700k of his kicker.

Instead they keep the $4 million, plus get $1.1 million from the Wizards.

There had been questions on why the Pelicans would allow us to extend..that is 5.1 million reasons why.

tada likes this.
  6. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Good point!

The benefit to us with an actived kicker would be we can give him a lucrative extension that takes him up till he's 35% max eligible instead of deal with the anxiety of having him opt out this summer.

But the benefit to the Pels is that by waiving that kicker they avoid a 4.1m lump sum. So I appreciate your efforts in the cap break down as well as this reasoning and I'm not disagreeing.

@RushDelivery you're also right about a team needing to be no more than 100k over the cap if they use capspace to execute a trade.

Bron 37.4
    Kawhi 32
    AD 27.1
    Kuz 2
    JJ 1.4
    THT player rights 900k
    Deng dead cap 5
    6 incomplete roster charge 5.4
    = 111.2m; so we'd be over the cap more than the 100k alotted.

Thanks for pointing that out. But I do mantain that we just threw three cheap contracts away instead of using them more efficiently.

For instance Moe's 2.1m contract alone could bring back as much as 3.8m which we could aggregate with Zo/BI/Hart (17.9m aggregated) to get to AD's 21.6m minimum number.

Also take into account that the cap is projected at 109m and it's rumored that number will go up, which could give us a little more wiggle to have kept JJ, but still the 100k cap rule would still likely limit my trade scenario, so good catch bro!

Btw, love the discussion and knowledge fellas.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    LakerFanIam likes this.
  7. Banners

Banners - Rookie -

Definitely good discussion and knowledge share.

Cap certainly gets tricky, but every June/July I throw on my Armchair GM hat and try and figure out what is really going on.

So much behind the scenes in these negotiations that it's impossible to tell on some of the finer points if things were poorly given away, or if the other said requested and the small losses happen to allow us to have certain gains.

jbiggs and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. Banners

Banners - Rookie -

I saw this on Bleacher Report, and I've never seen this incentive option to maximize cap space.

Anyone know how this works?

abeer3 and Savory Griddles like this.
  9. Banners

Banners - Rookie -

Funny....just realized Pincus wrote it.

No wonder I thought it was insightful instead of the typical garbage without any understanding of how the cap works.

btw...did Emplay ever make the move from CL to LB?

The Laker Link 3.0 likes this.
  10. Savory Griddles

No clue. But it is interesting. If we don't land Kawhi, a backcourt of D'Lo and Beverly would be nice. Although, I'd almost rather use that money on a center in order to save AD from playing too much at the 5 and giving us some punch off the bench in Kuz.

11. The Laker Link 3.0

The Laker Link 3.0 - Rookie -

Disney Cast Member
    I’d hope so. I know he’s still listed on LakersGround.

Man, I miss Pincus being in chat with us, I felt cool when I was younger, knowing Emplay was this Basketball dude that knew stuff and talked on TV and what not.

Fricken, Pincus got to be part of the best Championship Press Conference ever with Ron Artest.

12. Savory Griddles

Bender and the 17th.

13. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
  14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That is truly fantastic. I’ve been waiting for this kind of thing all day. The story is nobody ever wants to help us, but there are actually teams that have been willing trade partners with us multiple times over the years. I imagine Woj, Simmons, Mannix and so many others were super angry with the Wizards too, I mean they don’t even have a GM right now. :D

15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Did John Wall answer the phone call?

therealdeal, LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  16. MambaMentality

MambaMentality - Rookie -

I bet the Wizards did us this favor because Masai turned them down.

tada, karacha, therealdeal and 2 others like this.
  17. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    :LLLLLebronlaughing:never thought of the connection

alam1108 likes this.
  18. vasashi17

There's two classifications to incentives: likely and unlikely. You can have likely incentives that impact your total contract but scaled to be 5-8% annual escalators/decelerators for the life of the contract. While unlikely incentives can be limited to 15% of a single year of a player's compensation for any particular year of their contact.

Likely incentives are always reflective in the cap hit. So for example if a player like DLo has a base salary of 17m in year 1 and has to hit a "likely" performance mark like avg 17pts or more per game for the season to earn an extra 3m, then he his base salary in terms of a cap hit is 20m.

However let's say it's an unlikely incentive like avg 10 asts per game for the season, then he can only make up to 15% of his annual (ie 2.6m) and that contract would show up as a 17m cap hit on our books and not 19.6m.

However in order to block a cap loophole, if you offer unlikely incentives to 2 or more players then those unlikely cap hits are reflective and accounted for in our cap sheet.

So carrying off the previous example, now let's say we add another guy with our remaining 12.9m in cap space (reflective of DLo's 20m including "likely " incentives along with 900k incomplete roster charge getting voided) then we have to look at DLo's contract as a 22.6m cap hit limiting A potential 12.9m deal for that 2nd free agent to only a 9.4m deal that includes likely and unlikely incentives if we structure it that way.

Hope that clarifies that concept for you bro.

19. Banners

Banners - Rookie -

Interesting. I had heard of incentive based contracts in the NFL, but wasn't aware the NBA had options.

The unlikely option for the Lakers to make the playoffs route Pincus laid out seemed pretty interested (sad that it's unlikely though)

20. vasashi17

Eric is a straight CBA hustler. His ideas are brilliant...but I'm paying no mind to this one, cause it's 3rdmax or bust for me personally and the incentive route won't play a part under that scenario.

We did all this and emptied out the chest (thank gawd Kuz remained) for a reason. Let's see this all the way through now.

It's great to have a contingency (and I'm sure we have one, see the Caruso QO) but the media is starting to say the better option for us are rounding out the roster.... And if they're saying that, you double down and go the other way haha.

(Marks is another CBA hustler that I'm not paying any mind to at the moment haha)