Laker Podcasts & LFR Videos

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Weezy, Apr 26, 2019.

1. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Let me get this straight. I point out your m.o. of refusing to accept facts, and your response is for me to list these out? Take a moment to let that sink in and ask me why I would waste my time.

And I know your first instinct is to reply with “Meh” and some snarky comment indicating you’ve “won.” Great, have fun with that. You’re here rehashing the same tired arguments from almost 4 years ago like the Uncle Rico of message boards.

But please, go on with one of your many bad takes and remind us something like how we were going to finish Top 3 in the West 2 years ago with Westbrook on the roster, but sure…I don’t know what I’m talking about.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Hold up...YOU...allude to " facts " that you can't seem to name. Yet you turn around, and talk about why waste your time? You wasted your time to post that BS, didn't you?

I was unaware, that I was having a discussion with myself. Whether it was about something 4 years ago, or last week. Yet you just jumped, in the discussion, to say absolutely nothing.

Yeah..top 3 in the West as currently constructed. I said that, absolutely. However I NEVER SAID that could be accomplished, with Lebron and AD playing 21 total games together..did I? For some reason you left that part out.

Hell yeah..from my perspective..Yep..you most definitely, don't know WTF you are talking about. Get off my lawn, and my jock..

Training camp is around the corner! Slick is up for all the smoke. Run it.

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Adburn:

Well yeah he deserves it for doing exactly that …. and insulting everyone’s intelligence going on 3 years about Russell Westbrook.

:Shaqdisappointed:

4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

You can get some too! Run these "Facts" that I have confused. I have a little time today.

5. wallangong

As usual, old man misses the point. Back to your regularly scheduled rambling.

6. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

In other words, you don't really know what those "facts " were. You never made a point. You expressed an opinion, a weak one at that.

7. wallangong

Called it.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

You insult us again how much of our time has been taken up already because of your lunacy strictly on Westbrook and now you say do more? FOH.

wallangong likes this.
  9. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Westbrook isn't here, and was only a small part of the conversation.. You remain obsessed with that guy.

10. LTLakerFan

11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

how do you do this, seriously? your own rebuttal is in your own response. the team played better with gasol and trez than they did with howard and mcgee--this was happening without lebron and AD. your argument is somehow that lebron and AD (who historically make almost everyone look better) would make gasol and trez look worse. that's a terrible assumption. gasol and trez were better the prior year in different situations, and better the next year in la.

and yes, they were better on defense, at least statistically. where gasol didn't look good was actually on offense. this was probably because he had to take a smaller role than he ever had previously, but it could have just been age or injury. his defense was still top notch (better than your mancrushes, because defense is more about positioning that leaping).

schroder played better for us than green did. it was an upgrade.

now here's some fun trivia about that trade: do you know who the first round pick ended up being? jaden mcdaniels at #30! imagine if we kept it and made that pick. here's the funnier part: sam presti, hero gm, then turned around moved him, essentially, for the rights to poku (who was recently cut). LOL. other teams make mistakes. even the ones led by GM GODS!

i imagine that with AD on the sideline, it wouldn't have mattered because we'd have lost, and with AD on the floor, it also wouldn't have mattered, because we were going to win that series before his injury. rondo was a non-factor in 2021. schroder was a positive factor who was playing his minutes.

yes. he makes the entire offense work with lebron and AD. you can't just throw anyone at pg with these guys, as we've learned.

so would damian lillard or steph curry, whom we also couldn't trade for.

lol slim talking about dancing around facts. holy s***.

not at 100%? AD wasn't on the floor after game 3. they trotted his dead body out there in game 6 for a few minutes, i guess. what kind of stupid argument is "the role players should have won without anthony davis"? c'mon.

people's issue with russ isn't the wins and losses, it's that he sucked and made the team worse when he was on the floor. we weren't going to win anyway, but that doesn't excuse the russ trade. that's an insane thought process. we had enough of a sample with russ to know that even when AD and lebron were on the floor, russ was an absolute anchor. the clippers later learned this, and benched him like vogel wanted to. his salary slot was and could have been three useful players, and instead we had to go 18 months with all that locked up in a on-court negative and huge off-court distraction.

saying someone wants to see something a certain way implies a motive. people see things different ways, but not all vantage points are equivalent in value with respect to the truth.

i can grant that it's possible we could have traded for kyrie (if we gave up literally everything)--though i'm still pretty sure bkn wasn't going to do it under any circumstances.

that sort of thing is mostly unknowable for us.

but we do have some reasonable statistics that capture player impact. they're not perfect, but they're not fake and are tied to results. i realize that you think watching mcgee and howard block shots was more impressive than gasol making plays impossible by just having his large body in the way, but numbers suggest the latter was actually more effective, both here and in other stops. your counter argument is why did we bring in drummond, which rests on the assumption that bringing in drummond made any sense. if you want to talk about management errors, that was the one. not signing gasol and trez instead of howard and mcgee. that was a home run that would have worked great if our stars didn't break down in the title defense year. the post 2020 offseason was great. stuff just didn't break our way. the post 2021 offseason was basically apocalyptic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
    LTLakerFan, Juronimo and sk2408 like this.
  13. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Pre-covid Gasol was a great frontcourt pairing for AD. The passing and occasional shooting really opened things up for that starting unit. Trez did an admirable job of helping keep the team afloat during all those 2021 injuries, but ultimately he's kind of an empty calories guy. That said, Dwight and McGee never played as well again as they did in 2020.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. LTLakerFan

I think ^^^ you mean "pre-each of their injuries" to start the season (since Covid arrived the year prior) with AD's just keeping him out period and Marc's hampering further his movement on the floor and performance. Agree he looked really good out there as an additional HUB for the offense and in their top/near top rated defensive team performance. And that was just at the start of the season let alone any "gelling" seriously done yet with the new key rotation players in Marc, Schroder and Harrell.

sk2408 likes this.
  15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

@ Abeer

I'm on the cell today, so I have to post in shorter clips.

I'm still not seeing how did the team, play better with Gasol and Trez, over Howard and Javale. We had the best record in the NBA, at 52-19 and won a chip.

Dwight/Javale avg more rebs(14) and blks (2.5) per game. With 14pts and 1 assist. In less minutes per game.

Marc/Trez avg more pts(18) and assists (3) with 10 rebs and 2 blks. Trez avg more shot attempts then Dwight/Javale combined. Gasol did avg 2 assists.

Now..you say that the team played better, even without Lebron and AD? You are basing this off of what exactly?

What is supposed to be the measurement being used?

And how was Gasol going to be a better fit at 5 in the bubble? He was slow as an iceberg, we played a bunch of small ball teams. That's why Javale and Dwight didn't play as much. I don't get what role you think, Marc would have played.

16. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Gasol was out the league the next season. Trez hasn't played as well as hid did here since. He might be out the league right now.

17. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

schroder played better for us than green did. it was an upgrade.

now here's some fun trivia about that trade: do you know who the first round pick ended up being? jaden mcdaniels at #30! imagine if we kept it and made that pick. here's the funnier part: sam presti, hero gm, then turned around moved him, essentially, for the rights to poku (who was recently cut). LOL. other teams make mistakes. even the ones led by GM GODS!

Green was a 6'7 2/3 Dennis is a 6'1 PG. They played different roles, again what is this measurement being used to say Dennis played better for us?

I like Dennis tho, but my issue is with burning a 1st rd pick, and letting him walk for nothing. Dennis said that Rob never offered him a contract offer at all that offseason. We had his Bird rights.

Yeah McDaniels would have been a great pickup at that spot. He's a better overall player than Vanderbilt.

The point of this conversation was about Rob's moves in total. This still is a poor decision to me.

" imagine that with AD on the sideline, it wouldn't have mattered because we'd have lost, and with AD on the floor, it also wouldn't have mattered, because we were going to win that series before his injury. rondo was a non-factor in 2021. schroder was a positive factor who was playing his minutes"

Rondo wasn't here to find that out tho. What difference did what he did in 21 have to do with it? He wasn't great during the regular season on the chip team. But Playoff Rondo damn sure showed up in the bubble!

I think we beat Phx if AD somehow made it through that series. Probably wouldn't have made it through another one. But Rondo/Green Javale/Dwight.. I think we we beat them without AD. Again..not sure how far we'd go afterwards.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

we used the last pick in the first round to upgrade at a position of need while losing a guy who disappointed in the playoffs, imo. that was a pretty good move. the other move was separate.

moving the first to get schroder was good; not offering schroder a contract was fine, imo. who knows what was said by whom. maybe the agent said don't come with an offer less than x amount, so rob didn't. who knows if maybe that contract negotiation didn't help rob gain leverage in some later discussions (e.g., getting reaves cheaper, getting vando at sub mle, etc.). what i mean is that rob established that once the conversation is over, it's over. again, i don't know this. i just know dennis was playing for the tpmle. he wouldn't have played for us anyway, as we had russ sucking up the pg minutes! don't discount the jeanie/luxury tax concerns here, either.

they were two separate moves; each made sense on their own.

there just wasn't a point at which i was like "the missing piece right now is rajon rondo".

no

19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    As far as I’m concerned, the only Gasol to play for us was Pau.

20. Lakers Fast Break

Lakers Fast Break - Rookie -

Podcaster, Radio Broadcaster, Journalist
    Ox1947 can be heard on the Lakers Fast Break, the best Lakers podcast out there available now on YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, and audio podcast outlets everywhere!

Barnstable and OX1947 like this.