LABron James Discussion: Two Year Max

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

When can he opt out to test the market?

This is why I couldn't stand having him in L.A. It would be non stop all about him 24 / 7 come to raise the crappy Lakers into a contender. Literally everyone else just role players.

I'd rather see him go to the Clippers if they were hamstrung enough to not be able to put pieces around to make the team a contender, with the financial situation they'ed be in and trying to retain which aging stars to keep. Jerry West being there to try to work his magic scares me though. Ballmer with his billions would probably be willing to go into tax penalty hell.

Barnstable likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

He's a FA the same time as George. The talk of LeBron coming here is almost 100% contingent on us also landing George.

George plus a crop of young talent? That's something a Kang can work with.

Barnstable likes this.
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham

TIME and trodgers like this.
  4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Woj has so much credibility and the fact that he's doubling down on this is concerning. I'm not sure if Lllllebron can repair things with Riley and the Clippers are the Clippers. We make the most sense and it sucks tbh. Hopefully he sees getting Clippers a championship is better for his legacy and all that jazz.

therealdeal, TIME and Barnstable like this.
  5. sirronstuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bonus picture
    [​IMG]

I want LLLLLebron less than having to breathe Blue Whale fart bubbles for air the rest of my life.

6. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Won't James be due about $40m? George at 30m? I don't think it's possible.

abeer3 likes this.
  7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Either Lebron has to take a huge paycut, or we have to attach our kids to Deng and Mozgov. We'd also have to probably get George in a trade via Clarkson and Randle? The amount of wheeling and dealing to make something like this work would be staggering.

Trade the #2 pick to the Kings for #5 and #10.
    Draft Fox.
    Trade #10 and Nance with Mozgov for expiring deals.
    Trade Russell with Deng for expiring deals.
    Trade Randle, Clarkson and #28 for Paul George.

Go into the summer of 2018 with Fox, Zu, Ingram and PG13 as our only contracts? That's 40 million or so. Sign Lebron to another 40. That's 80. Then what? Melo opts out and we sign him? Wade's corpse signs with us?

33 year old Lebron isn't worth all that. Not to mention that they would still get crushed by Golden State. Heck, unless Ingram and Zu made HUGE strides and Fox is the best player in this draft, that team probably doesn't get out of the second round. If this is 26 or 27 year old Lebron, you try it. But this is actually kind of silly. If Lebron wants to come here for 5 million a year, I'll hate it, but I'll still root for the Lakers. If we gut our team and sell off our youth in order to have a past his prime Lebron, that might be the last straw for me as a Lakers fan.

trodgers and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

if it were really possible, you do whatever it takes, imo.

i think it would mean trading all young pieces, though. some to help dump mozdeng, and some to bring in established stars (like wiggins for love).

#2+moz or deng for george
    dlo/randle/deng/future 1sts for <insert other star>
    see if you can clear enough to get lebron after securing the two stars without moving ingram. sign lebron, then move ingram for fourth piece of superteam.

i don't have time to do the math, but such things are probably possible. you only do them if you get confirmation from lebron that he's definitely coming, though.

9. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

I know they're in the business of winning and Lebron obviously increases that chance significantly, but as a fan, I really don't want to get back to competing that way. I can't fathom rooting FOR Lebron. I wouldn't disavow my fanhood, but I'd rather try a different route back to the top.

lakerjones, trodgers, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  10. LTLakerFan

Modified a word .....

:Kobepuking:

Liked the rest of your feelings about this. Just seeing what ESPN is doing in the couple days since Cavs lost fortifies your and my feelings even more.

ZenMaster and sirronstuff like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

No. Just would kill all passion for me and I know I'm not the only fan in Lakers land that feels this way. F*** this guy.

Get George and whoever else to go with the best of our kids that the FO keeps. Don't gut the whole team for this prima donna. Could you even imagine if we did gut it to the bone and he comes here and boom gets severe injury. Father time and all that happy HS.

ZenMaster and Barnstable like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure it's worth it though. Is PG13, Lebron and one other star enough to contend with the Warriors? One thing we have seen with Lebron is there isn't room for 3 people to shine with him. Bosh and Love had to take huge steps back in their production to make room for Lebron/Wade and Lebron/Irving. Lebron kind of has the ideal team for his skill set surrounding him now in Cleveland. Shooters, a bruising big and one other ball dominant player. Maybe you could switch out Love for PG13 and PG13 is OK with essentially becoming a spot-up shooter on offense.

Point is, why construct a team that can't beat the Warriors in their window, then leave us with bare cupboards after Lebron and friends leave and the Warriors window closes? At least now we have a glimmer of hope with our young assets that once the Warriors' run is over, our guys might be coming into their prime. Trade away the assets we have to clear caps space to build a super team around 33 yr old Lebron? You're guaranteeing over a decade with no shot at a ring.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Uncle Fester has the deep pockets to make the Floppers the most hateable team in the league.

Cp-flop
    vet min ring chasing sharpshoter
    Lllllbron
    Biff
    Dj

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

You're all one step ahead anyway. They're not FAs until 2018 so there's no rush.

1. Find a way to preserve cap space with either trading for an expiring or signing someone to a big 1-year deal.
    2. Find a way to get out from the Deng deal (this can happen later).
    3. Find a way to dump Mozgov (should be easier than Deng).
    4. You'll have to likely package the kids at some point and send them for a veteran.

As of today (well technically as of next Friday) the Lakers salary looks like this for 2018:

Deng- 18
    Mozgov- 16
    Clarkson- 12.5
    Randle (cap hold)- 12.5
    #2 pick (estimate)- 7.8
    Russell- 7
    Ingram- 5.8
    Nance Jr.- 2.3
    Nwaba- 1.7
    #28- 1.6
    Zubac- 1.5
    Total (with two minimum cap holds estimated) = 87.7 million.

The expected cap of 2018/2019 will be 103 million. That leaves us with just 15.136 million to spend.

We would then (like San Antonio, Houston, and Miami do every year) meet with both LeBron and George and tell them we can clear room for them if they're willing to come to play together. They can hand-pick which kids to keep and which to send out to clear space.

LeBron at that stage is worth the 35% max deal with a new team. That would be roughly 35 million dollars. He'd be 34 years old. He would be eligible for a 4 year deal I believe with a new team meaning his max offer would be 4/150 million.

George at that stage is worth the 30% max deal with a new team. That would be roughly 29 million dollars (maybe a bit more). He'd be 28 going on 29 years old. He would be eligible for a deal I believe around 4/125 million.

We'd need to clear 48.864 million off the books. You can attach picks to Deng and Mozgov (separately) to move them out. Deng would likely have to take an unprotected pick. Mozgov probably a protected pick and maybe a second round pick.

Then you either trade one of Clarkson or Randle. Randle probably gets you a better return and with LeBron, Ingram, and George around makes the most sense to move. Clarkson has the lower ceiling of course. Either move is fine. I'm positive you could get a protected pick for either player. Either a protected first or a couple seconds. Not a great return, but who cares? Hell you could make this move first and then use these picks to move Mozgov/Deng. After Mozgov/Deng/Randle, that clears 46.5 million.

Then all you need to do is shuffle out the #28 and waive your rights to Nwaba and you're there. You've got room now for both LeBron and George.

It would not be an insurmountable amount.

abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  15. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Im telling you guys... Paul George doesn't make such as public stance on coming to the Lakers based solely on the hometown LA and kobe legacy factors. He HAS to know something with incoming talent behind the scenes. Does that mean Lllllebron? Maybe.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

As soon as we sign LLLLLebron, he'll finally break down physically. His body is already on borrowed time. That's not a guy I pay that much. The odds are just not in your favor. He's had a remarkable career, but he needs to stay in CLE until he's done.

Cookie, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    This isn't necessarily true, we can keep almost all of our young guys AND get Lebron and PG without having to lose much......

DAR (7) / Nwaba (1.7)
    Ball (6.2) / Clarkson (12.5)
    PG13 (30.6 ) / Ingram (5.8)
    Lebron (35.7) / Randle (5.6 QO) / Nance (2.3)
    Zubac (1.5) / 28th pick (1.4)

+ Deng stretched (7.4)
    + Moz stretched (6.5)
    + 2 cap holds (1.6)

Total without LBJ + PG13 - 59.9 million
    Total with LBJ + PG13 - 125.8
    Expected 2018-2019 salary cap - 103 million
    Need to shed - 22.8 million

- Trade Deng or Moz with pick to completely take away their salaries +
    - Trading away Clarkson for future picks
    - Talk PG and Lebron into taking 1-2 million dollars less than max (At that salary it shouldn't be a problem)

Now we are looking at....

DAR (7) / Nwaba (1.7)
    Ball (6.2) / _______
    PG13 (29) / Ingram (5.8)
    Lebron (33) / Randle (5.6 QO) / Nance (2.3)
    Zubac (1.5) / 28th pick (1.4)

+ Moz stretched (6.5)
    + 3 cap holds (2.4)

Total - 102.4 million

Lose Clarkson + Future pick(s) for PG and Lebron yea that's fine with me
    Keep almost all of our young talent
    ?????
    Profit

therealdeal likes this.
  18. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

The minute we sign Bron, he turns into old man Nash.

ThizGuy83, LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  19. LTLakerFan

S***. That looks all too simple with his deep pockets and a piece of cake for Jerry West to make it all happen. FML. That or bring him to Lakers with George and all the great young talent we had pretty much gone. FML.

Sorry Karl Malone was not an a-hole with who most of us felt he was as person. Hated, tough, mean HOF player ... hell yes. But then he became our hated, tough, mean HOF player. It's not like that with LeBron.

abeer3 and Punk-101 like this.
  20. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Their SG could easily be Redick. He's already comfy there.