LABron James Discussion: Olympics MVP

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

We can go over the cap to sign Ingram since he's ours. And 36 year old Lebron will still probably be solid, and if our home grown talent actually flourishes, they'll be carrying the load by then anyway. In an ideal world our kids are ready faster than we thought, we find someone willing to take Deng with Nance and some first rounders attached, and we sign PG13 and Cousins. We have Ball/PG13/Ingram/Kuzma/Cousins as our starting 5, with Clarkson and Randle as our super subs. But even if ALL that somehow came to fruition, adding Lebron and PG13 this offseason still probably gives us a better shot at a ring at some point over the next 7-8 years. We may not have as good a chance at multiple rings because of Lebrons age, but we have a better chance of getting at least one.

Weezy likes this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    LLLLL in 7 to 8 years????

[​IMG]

D-Fish Man likes this.
  3. sirronstuff

The last sentence was something to watch and be aware of.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think the preceding segment was maybe more alarming. the thing that's bothered me about lebron is his level of organizational control, right down to his own minutes, team gameplan, etc. it's pretty shocking. and we'd probably have to deal with it, too.

432J, tada, ZenMaster and 1 other person like this.
  5. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Hell no. That dude has s*** for brains. There will be NEVER a team that sniffs 2nd round with him, unless he is 3rd star or something.

6. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

same. mike brown and ty lue? aside from his first couple of seasons, lebron has been the cavs head coach

that's the main reason i don't want him in LA

alam1108, Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

What did I miss?

8. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    We need stars... OKC goes from beating GS to losing to DET. Pretty much it ;)

9. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    Then gets blown out by the worst team in western conference dallas

therealdeal and sirronstuff like this.
  10. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    I think it'll be the other way around. LeBron may consider coming if at least a player of PG's caliber take the first leap. God, we'll then be swamped with SFs that'll be forced to play 2 or 4.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. sirronstuff

It makes zero sense.

But that's positionless basketball.

abeer3 likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

hey, i hate the "positionless basketball" junk as much as anyone (i'm not even sure what it means--it requires functionally defining positions, i guess?), but i do think you roll with your personnel. if you have 4 really talented guys who are similar in size and can defend all over the floor...play them all...together...a lot (i really like mil and phil using their 6'10" guys at "pg" a lot).

the two winningest teams of all time had that formula: mj/pip/harper/rodman, curry/thompson/green/iguodala or durant or harrison barnes.

the bulls' 5th was typically a big, the current warriors still do that a lot, too. and i think all evidence still points to the necessity of employing at least one healthy, competent behemoth, if only to save you against the few teams that have rosters that can exploit its absence.

but yeah, give me lebron and paul george and kuzma and ingram and lonzo and i'll figure something out. whoever isn't being defended by a quick pg brings the ball up and we zone up the backside on d...all while out-talenting 90% or more of the league.

13. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Positionless basketball basically means no center.

Question is will the NBA allow their to be a behind the basket player at center, ever again.

14. sirronstuff

Why would they allow a behind the basket player?

Heck, I'd settle for a back to the basket center.

:Fishwink:

tada, lakerfan2, alam1108 and 6 others like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

seems like people use it to describe lots of things, this being one of them. but the centerless version still requires something akin to the nominal "pg" in most instances. which is a position, in the traditional sense. so, it seems like anything that involves any deviation from pg/sg/sf/pf/c, all as traditionally/historically defined gets labeled as "positionless". in other words, i hate it because it's not really a meaningful distinction.

i don't watch pro soccer (football, i know), but when i played, teams had different configurations to suit their personnel and preferred style of play. i think basketball has that and maybe always has, we just have some standardization of labels.

anyway, as discussed at other times, despite the claims that centers are dead, most teams employ more than one and start one traditional, big, lumbering type center. nobody's really been ballsy enough to completely eschew it except dantoni at times.

16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Okay, now I've got a couple minutes away from my family. Here we go:

LeBron IS a better athlete than Kobe and regardless of your personal feelings toward, Kobe that's the truth. That has zero basis on the rest of their contributions on the court and in fact has allowed LeBron to have a great career for a good 7-8 years with less-than-ideal NBA skills (post game, footwork, etc). If you need evidence of LeBron being a better athlete:

LeBron James vertical is 44 inches, Kobe's is 38 inches (Jordan's was 48 inches apparently). http://www.topendsports.com/testing/results/vertical-jump.htm
    That's just one test of athleticism, sure, but there's no easily accessible athletic testing results for Kobe or LeBron. I'd say, just watch the two players and tell me who is more athletic. If you'd like to argue that Kobe is more athletic than LeBron, there's just not much here to talk about because you aren't seeing things clearly.

With that established, you wanted scientific proof that the using Kobe as an indicator of LeBron's injuries is a flawed premise. Here is an article that gives you good insight into genetics and what genetic codes determine strength, speed, endurance, and of course injury: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3993978/

This article goes into depth about what codes determine what we all are as athletes. You of course ignored completely my examples, but those examples can be found in this article. A player with tremendous cardiovascular endurance that lasted 20 years and played 74 or more games in 18 of those seasons. He made the playoffs in 18 of those seasons and added 8851 minutes over that span without suffering a catastrophic injury towards the end of his career. He had debilitating injuries for sure, but that was into his late 30s and 40s by the time he was hobbling around the court. Karl Malone was a massive person. He played 19 seasons and frequently weighed a reported 250 pounds (I would think it was more than that) and he played nearly every game for all those seasons. He made the playoffs in each of his 19 seasons and added 7907 minutes. He didn't break down until he was 40 years old unfortunately with the Lakers. These athletes all had varying degrees of genetic advantages in order to maximize their playing time.

Couple that with the fact that we don't start to truly deteriorate muscularly or along our ligaments/tendons until our 40s at the latest, and there's just zero ability to use Kobe's breakdown as an indicator of LeBron's. Age defeats all athletes, that's an undoubted truth and one that I do not deny. It's entirely possible that tomorrow LeBron blows his knee out or ruptures his Achilles. However, Kobe is no indicator of that. Just tracking the type of athlete that LeBron is, it's impossible to actually predict injury.

In fact while age is a massive factor, genetics are an equal factor. Andrew Bynum and Brandon Roy broke down in the years that should have been their "prime" seasons. We see players tearing ACLs (Exum) in their rookie seasons.

So predicting LeBron's injury within the next 5 years is an educated guess that is probably a decent bet, but it's not a given. There's examples of athletes that have made it through their 30s and succeeded. After watching LeBron for more than a decade, I think it's clear he's an athlete above the rest. It's what has really driven him forward moreso than skill. The only sign of slowing I've seen from LeBron was that twisted ankle, but the severity of that wasn't high and he sat out until he improved. When he was ready to go, he went and he went at full strength. We all hate on him for taking his siestas during the season, but they're helping him add time to his career.

I will repeat this because you obviously are having a hard time reading it with an unbiased eye: I am not a LeBron fan. I've been on this site and CL before it for years hating on LeBron for being a wuss, for shrinking in big moments, and for running when the writing was on the wall. He's pompous, fatuous, and narcissistic. That doesn't mean I am too proud to admit that he's by far better than any player on our team and I would take him here in an instant. There's no greater connection between the playoffs than LeBron James and if he were to sign here, we'd almost certainly attract a second player to come with him (ideally Paul George). I'm willing to give up any player not named Ball, Ingram, or Kuzma to make this a reality because I am a Laker fan and I want to be competitive again. I'm not content winning 30 games, then 35, then 45 games over the next three years if we can skip that process altogether.

@Barnstable argument that the team might not be able to pull it together quickly enough is a pretty good argument, but what is the difference? Say we don't sign him because he's older and a potential injury concern, then what happens? We maybe get lucky and sign Cousins this summer? We win 43 games if we're fortunate? I'd rather have two years of the Lakers competing for the conference championship than two years of us scraping a playoff run together. Then even if LeBron breaks down after 2 years (although I think I've shown there's little evidence of that conclusion), we still have all of our young players in their early 20s which is years before their prime. The value of adding those playoff runs is astronomical for the growth of our young players who wouldn't be getting their big pay days until after LeBron's contract expires anyway. I'd rather take him and deal with it if/when he breaks down because the alternative is spending our money on guys that likely aren't worth that money. Or worse, getting stuck paying only our young guys and waiting for them for 4-5 years to be truly competitive. Are we all willing to wait 4-5 years because LeBron is a douche? I'm not. If you are, that's cool, but we're going to disagree on this.

And as a last note: if it wasn't for sirron's irrational hate, I wouldn't spend so much time defending LeBron. I don't actually care about LeBron. This started as a fun counter to sirron's teasing. Hopefully you see that, but I have a feeling much of this won't hit home for at least a couple posters.

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

james
    ingram
    cousin
    3rd star lol

18. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Check out the 11:40 mark to find out what Zo is going to be calling his new teammate next season.

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Does that mean having to chance seeing or hearing LaVar?

:Kobepuking:

20. sirronstuff

Back to LLLLL

:Laugh:

LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.