LABron James Discussion: Olympics MVP

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

guess i feel like kareem's initial statement wasn't much different than the "clean up" effort? he's allowed to be critical, and he has a record of being more supportive of lebron than critical. this isn't skip bayless.

speaking of--did kareem refer to himself as a "journalist"?

Pioneer10 and lakerjones like this.
  2. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Yeah... I guess he published some articles as well as, what... 15 books, so that kind of makes him a journalist. He has a degree in history, if that matters.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i know kareem has said publicly he's happy that lebron will break his record but knowing the kind of person he is, i don't buy that for a second

his comments on lebron yesterday sound like they came out of frustration, which is why he walked them back. guy really needs to stop talking about lebron

FrontOfJersey22 and Helljumper like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, i guess i didn't realize that what he writes is journalism. some of it is fiction, right? and others are more memoir-y. i just don't recall him sort of reporting on recent or current events. in fact, most of what i've seen from him wouldn't even qualify him as a historian. anyway, just interesting how we describe ourselves.

yeah, although if he starts no commenting, people will interpret that in all sorts of ways, too.

5. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I have no problem with some of Kareem’s comments. He specifically pointed out that he thought his big balls dance was dumb and beneath him. I agree with that assessment. I guess the league did too since they fined him.
    The grayer area is probably the Spider-Man COVID flu cold tweet. It’s the one Kareem is more upset about and I get his concern but at the end of the day I think Lebron’s response is on point: everyone is trying to figure this thing out and while it’s not wise to dismiss the possible severity of the virus (1 million US citizens dead because of it) in some folks the symptoms mirror those other two viruses. It’s confusing.

432J, abeer3 and Pioneer10 like this.
  6. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I don't know I subscribe to Kareem's newsletter and he tends to very thoughtful and unlike most partisan journalists will engage with the arguments from both sides. Seems he's like he's being genuine to me because he will notes shades of grey when he's discussing about an issue. Pretty consistent that he likes Lebron but doesn't like all aspects of him which is fair (and pretty much how I feel about Lebron off court)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    lakerjones, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I have the opposite perspective. I think it’s more understandable for Kareem to be disappointed in how Lebron has talked about Covid. Yes it’s a confusing situation for everyone, but at a certain point some of what Lebron has said seems like willful ignorance that likely encouraged vaccine skepticism amongst some.

But by Kareem calling out the big balls dance as some egregious level of disrespect, THAT’S what makes me agree with 432J that KAJ may have some personal motivations (ie, a little envious that his record is on pace to be broken).

A lot of players do that dance. Kobe did on multiple occasions. It’s not even necessarily disrespecting the opponent. It’s about celebrating your own clutch play. Of course the league is going to fine it, they set that precedent many times. But that doesn’t mean it’s a big deal. That Kareem even felt the need to comment on that at all makes me think this is at least somewhat personal. And he even said something like “GOATs don’t dance”. That’s why unlike the Covid stuff, that criticism felt like it was born out of envy, not any social concerns.

8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    GOATS nearly all struggle after their athletic careers are over. He’s no different, but he’s done some amazing things too.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Good points HJ- I still don’t think it’s envy as much as a distaste for that kind of celebration. Remember that Cap was taught by coach Wooden who couldn’t stand that type of thing. Wooden was totally opposite. So that probably informs KAJ’s dislike plus he just isn’t like that himself. If anything I feel like it’s more a get off my lawn moment than envy.

10. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Yeah, maybe envy wasn’t the right word. I agree it was more of a “get off my lawn” thing.

Overall, I hope Lebron takes up Kareem on his offer of actually meeting in person and talking about these things. I think they’d have a lot of mutual respect for each other and be able to see eye to eye if they actually talked it out instead of these subtle jabs through the media.

lalalaleeluelela and lakerjones like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Nah LeBron too full of himself to do that and now Kareem’s on his list.

Cookie likes this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Guessing we'll see him for the final two- Thunder and Nuggets games so he can get his scoring title.

Don't think he'll play in the GS game because it's night one on a back to back

13. LTLakerFan

So is AD going to risk further injury when LeBron won’t??? Shut him down!!!

14. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

What Kareem says and what he does has been mutually exclusive his entire adult life in half the things he has done.

We are talking about a man who talks about advancement and bettering society yet cries about not having a statue. He's a dual talker. Do what's right but it's ok if he does what he does because he is Kareem.

15. LTLakerFan

You sure bag on him a lot … seems somewhat overblown IMO. And yes know what he was like as a player.

16. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Don't talk out of both ends. That's all we ask for. Unfortunately many do. The ones who preach righteousness get a much harsher penalty.

17. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

doesn't he have a statue outside staples though?

18. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Kareem is wrong about the Covid related post. He got it right on the Big Balls Dance. Lebron did it against a young scrub team he wouldn't pull that crap against seasoned veteran teams. If you're gonna showboat dont pick on kids who are green in the face and probably dont respond.

When it comes to this disastrous season I put Lebron as the #1 culprit. He's played a lot and he's scored a lot but he hasn't competed in many games... the heart, the leadership, the determination and desire to go after that championship goal was not there from preseason and the opening slot of games (home heavy schedule mind you!).

Lakers weren't the only team hit by injuries and covid. But boy did he, the FO and Vogel milked the hell out of those kind of excuses for what i consider the worst season in Laker history. I'm not the only one whos turned off and find this group unwatchable.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  19. LTLakerFan

How is he wrong about the Covid? Maybe it’s no worse than flu or cold. Fake deaths? Stressed hospital systems and professional burn out with their nurses and staff?

Toklat likes this.
  20. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Lebron had the spiderman meme post saying how flu/covid seems similiar. I think its alright to question the covid measures. Kareem was criticizing Lebrons curiosity, which I thought was weird.

lakerjones likes this.