LABron James Discussion: Olympics MVP

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    19 points and 19 assists on an off night, lucky to have such crappy off nights

Rest up Bron. The playoffs have plenty of rest.

Not that big a deal.

2. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Damn, 34-7 is like cursed or something

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Gordon did helluva job on Bron... load manager will eat him alive. Sit out some games grandpa.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

His performance in the clutch this season remains the biggest concern/question mark I have when it comes to winning it all.

5. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I tend to agree. Both him and AD lack something in the clutch situations. But we knew that coming in, I still think we’re good enough to win enough games to not bother losing a few in the clutch.

Also, every once in a while Lebron goes super sayian and demolishes the playoffs. So we have another gear there too.

sirronstuff and Sentient Meat like this.
  6. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

He picked his game up like he normally does to end the game: problem he's been in the more passive LePG mode recently which has worked! Tonight though he needed to turn more into playoff Lebron and he waited too long. Credit to Gordon who was really good on defense but some of this on the Lakers/Lebron/Vogel as well: they are not using him in any high post/elbow action which he is very good at it (his midrange jumper is automatic when he starts there vs his pullup midrange)

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. wcsoldier81

Good observation on the midrange jumper stuff .

He has been struggling to go to the rim against elite athleticism all season long and is mainly settling for 3s down the stetch .

Let's hope his and AD J's will be on coming playoffs time but we are relying too much on outside shots down the stretch especially for a team which isn't really good at it.

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I didn’t like to see him complaining to teammates on missed defensive assignments that were his fault. I thought he was passed that.

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I get we needed a playmaker with Rondo out and then after the Bald Eagle went down, but at some point he needs to read the game and realize we need more scoring from him. He had no desire to score the ball until halfway through the 4th.

And for someone who's trying to assist hunt, why the f*** take that last shot? LeChoke is never my first choice for a game tying/ winning J. Our shooters collectively had their best game of the year and you jack up that 3?! Yes, I know Cook was playing hot potato with it. Maybe Bron could've encouraged him to shoot it...I don't know.

Has anyone ever felt confident with Bron shooting a game winning J? Even with his improved range, I expect the miss every time it's a clutch J.

And on the assist hunting, Bron had no sense of pushing the pace or tempo as the PG. The ball stuck way too long while he read the floor.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  10. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Cook should take the shot.

JSM, Cookie and Sentient Meat like this.
  11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I do think Cook should have shot it when open instead of passing back to Lebron. To be fair, Lebron had made a clutch three down the stretch not long before that last one, and the final shot went in and came out - it wasn't a brick. It wasn't a bad look.

However, my beef is that Troy Daniels was red hot all game. I know he missed that one open three in the corner off the Lebron feed, but that was his only miss from distance (4 of 5 from three, 67% shooting all around). Vogel should have drawn up a play for him or Lebron should have recognized how hot he was and set him up for the final look. Instead the ball never went to him and went opposite to Cook.

None of it was horrible, but it was a missed opportunity in my opinion. Very close and winnable game thanks to our bench and Lebron's insane assist number in addition to some great defensive stretches for that double comeback.

12. wcsoldier81

Missed dunk + missed FT = 3 easier points though

sirronstuff and jbiggs like this.
  13. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

There have been a few instances where we're down 2 or 3 with like 15 seconds left, and he waits until the last 5-6 seconds to make a move to ultimately pass it up usually.

The man can barrel to the rim at any moment and create a shot or at least a kickout, but he dribbles the ball around like he's going to pull up for a midrange. For someone who has such a big basketball IQ, he needs to get the shot off quicker or call a timeout or something.

14. Pioneer10

Umm I think Lebron passed to Cook twice on that possession? He tried to get a shooter the ball and when it didn't work he manufactured a good look
    He also just made the previous 3 to put the Lakers in position for the tie or the win.

Just a weird game with weird lineups. I get Vogel trying to reward/ride the hot hand with Cook/Daniels but not having Dwight/Green for defense and then on offense having Green in the corner took the Lakers out of their comfort zone

15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Clips, Bucks, Philly, all have wings you can throw at LeBron and make life more difficult than it usually is for him...

And when his jumper isn't going, just forget about it.

Funny enough, he has struggled against the Clips twice, wasn't great against Milwaukee, and we will get to see how he fares against Philly this month.

Jaguar likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

17. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Best player of all time should only include that players skill set. But we dont do that. We usually add in accomplishment in there and base it on that as well.

Best player i ever saw was Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant is 1a. Based on their ability alone.

Had Shaq gave a s***, he would have been the greatest of all time because I think ultimately he would have had a chance to win 8 titles with 8 Finals MVPs. But he was too lazy.

18. sirronstuff

That definition is pretty interesting. TMAC at his peak was pretty absurd, and even Kobe gave him props. But he’s not in the discussion by anyone.

Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Kareem was up there for me. It's probably Kareem and MJ as the GOAT depending on my mood. Then Lebron. Then a group of people all clustered together: Kobe, Magic, Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq. But I agree, Shaq could have been the best ever had he not been lazy.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  20. Pioneer10

In terms of skillset I've never seen anyone ahead of ....... Kyrie Irving
    -catch and shoot - check
    -shoot off the dribble - check
    -floater - check
    -post-up - check
    -use of ball spin to finish - check
    -spin move - check
    -head fake - check
    -ball fake - check
    -every ball handle move you can think of - check

He's obviously not in any GOAT conversation but man if you just forget it's a team sport and you talk skillset he's unreal