Kyle Kuzma Discussion: Wizard

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 22, 2017.

1. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Please let Indiana be an interested club. He'd fit well next to Sabonis.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I really think he needs to be traded, but only if it can land us that legit 3rd guy. He had a really good playoffs overall, his defense is improved, I don’t want him gone just to have him gone, but realistically I don’t see us paying him what he’s probably going to want when his rookie deal is up. He’s probably worth a Clarkson type deal and I can’t see him being happy with that. Also, while he’s accepted his role, I don’t think he’s happy in his current role, he seems to want to be a starter and play a bigger role. I really do see him being moved along with Green in the same trade, him for his “potential” and Green for salary purposes.

3. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Alright, his value is high. I am open to trading him for a better staring 3&D guy, but if that doesn't work, we can keep him this year. He'll contribute, but my feeling is that he has a better chance of developing somewhere else. I think he'd prefer to move to another team and be a starter with a bigger scoring role. Since there are "several interested clubs" I am sure we can accommodate him. Everyone wins.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

He's got the talent, but I don't think he'll reach his max potential here. I think it's in both parties best interest for him to move on.

He needs to not play with a superstar or a ball dominant player. He doesn't have to be the guy wherever he goes, but he needs a team where he'll start and get as many shots as he wants.

I think his best ball was in the bubble. But after his game winner, when was he our 3rd best player like Bron said he had to be? 'Do, KCP, and Dwight were all better and more important. So in hindsight, I'd say he was our 6th best player on average. He played some sporadic good D, especially against Houston. He found other ways to contribute other than just scoring in Orlando. But can he do that in the regular season? When he's not in the bubble and there's more going on around him other than basketball?

If you can manage to dump Green with him and get an asset, you do it. Ideally, I think he'd fit great with the Pistons. That was my pick for him last year, when I thought we should get Rose at the deadline. I think the Hornets would also be a good fit. They don't have anything I'd want, so a 3rd team would have to be involved there. Then Green can get bought out cause he doesn't fit with either of those teams and he can go chase being runner up with the Warriors.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    gcclaker, abeer3, John3:16 and 5 others like this.
  5. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I'm wary of letting him go. He had a huge defensive leap and Vogel was comfortable putting him 1v1 defensive assignments with no help against guys like Butler and Tatum. The Lakers have excellent defenders outside of Lebron in Caruso, Bradley, and KCP but they're all small and get overpowered by the bigger 3's out there.

The whole team changed when Morris was brought in which allowed Kuzma to be assigned to the 2/3's. It's very difficult fo find these guys and they will be tend to be outside of the Lakers price range most likely (i.e. Jeremi Grant types)

6. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Could make history , change sex and become the 1st player to win both NBA and WNBA titles . Just saying

sirronstuff and Lakeshow85 like this.
  7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t get it. What am I missing?

TIME, John3:16, Toneloc and 1 other person like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I think Kuz’s blond metrosexual period?

9. Toneloc

Toneloc - Rookie -

ladybugs...

10. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    [​IMG]

11. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

send him n fillers to Sac for Hield, he can reunite with coach that allowed him to put up big #s

12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

This is how I feel. I don't want to dump him out of animosity or because I think he's worthless. But he will ask for a big contract after next season and we will be hunting big game. His future is not with us.

abeer3, SamsonMiodek, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yeah. Whatever's best for the team going forward as far as Kuz is concerned. No longer "too much attached" to him as one of the last "kids". That's down, with still very unhealthy levels, to just 2 guys left .... as "kids". The Eagle and THT. I love what I see and what their skills and impact can be at not "star" prices. And love the way AC plays the game.

SamsonMiodek, Cookie and Toneloc like this.
  14. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I might be alone in this, but I don’t think Kuz’s contribution to this championship is being appreciated here. Y’all are losing focus as to how we won this championship. Kuz was THE linchpin of our defensive versatility off the bench because he can guard 2-5, and even 1 if he had to. That versatility gave Vogel the ability to slot him in and run pretty much any lineup. Go big, slide Kuz down to the 2 or 3. Go Small, slide Kuz to the 4. He was successful in all these positions where he use to not be able to guard 4s and especially 5s.

Kuz has grown into one hell of a man defender and shut down players that would score on all our guard rotation. Having LeBron in that position isn’t enough, especially as he ages and needs to preserve his body for the playoffs.

I understand the frustration with inconsistent offense, but I feel his value as a defender offsets it. I’m not trading Kuz unless it’s for a star like a HEALTHY Oladipo or something.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

some good arguments on both sides (pioneer and barns regarding defensive improvement/versatility), but this is it for me:

i don't think he'll stay happy in the role we have for him. and i don't see how he can grow into a bigger one within the framework we're trying to build.

sac has been the team that makes sense to me. luke knows/likes him and knows how to use him offensively. they need someone exciting/fan-friendly. they need to move on from one of bogdanovic or hield, and the lakers could use either (bogdanovic would be my choice).

hield's contract worries me a bit. he's overpaid for what he does and would hamper flexibility. they'd need to add something. bogdanovic would be a straight sign and trade that could keep his cost down some.

16. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm starting to come around on the Hield idea. We keep looking at his contract length, but I think it's feasible that he could average 20ppg on efficient shooting playing next to Lebron and AD. So in 2 years when we need to find AD's new running mate, there's a good chance we can move his contract to help get that bigger fish. He'll be at $21M and $19M in his final 2 years and that contract should be moved easily after benefitting from playing next to 2 superstars. If we can't buy low on Oladipo, I think Hield is a good option with the expectation of keeping him 2 years before moving on.

17. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Keep him. Bulk him up a little. Keep him in the gym and film room. Floor is Ariza. Ceiling is Siakam/Middleton/Jalen Brown.

18. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I've been wavering on Kuz. I was one of his earliest biggest fans here, but the inconsistency bothered me. But, like Barns pointed out, his defensive improvement this year was huge. Now I'm thinking what another season under Vogel's defensive emphasis could do for him. He may never develop into the 3rd GUY, but I can for sure see him developing into the 4th GUY. Kuz + Caruso off the bench could be really strong next year.

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I guess it just depends on what price tag you put on that.
    Portis and Oubre got $15m per, that's the low end.
    Lavine-$19.5 per
    Gordon,-$20m per
    Tatum and Ingram are getting the max
    Simmons got the full bag

He's not a 4 year/$60m+ player here.

I bring that up, cause if you aren't paying him, he's walking. He's our best trade chip and I don't want to lose him for nothing.

The versatility he gave us defensively can be recouped if you get something in return for him + DG. And if you upgrade Dudley's spot with a quicker perimeter defender of the bench. You're more than covered.

Honestly, if we don't plan on reupping him and that'll definitely be discussed with his agent this off season, I could see him asking for a trade. He needs to get out there and prove it for a year that he's worth that and that won't happen here.

20. timothy

timothy - Rookie -

i respect your opinion, but this has to be one of the most inaccurate statements i’ve ever seen.

kuzma has not shown he’s anywhere near the consistency of the 3 ceilings you mentioned. especially jalen brown who is like 3-4 levels above kuzma on both ends of the ball. middleton is as consistent as they come. maybe the cutting part and ppg similarity to siakam, but i just don’t see it other than that.

if his *ceiling* can be like ariza, i’m ok with that. regardless, i’d prefer to ship him this offseason if possible.