Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. shoe

shoe - Rookie -

That is one thing I was wondering all season. 37% shooting is just unacceptable, but if it was because of the shoulder - that's a different story.

If Kobe can put up 20-22ppg on 43-45% shooting next season, I'm happy. I also like the 7-8 minutes per quarter idea that was tossed around - keep him fresher in the 4th.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That's exactly what the Lakers' physical trainer guy was saying a couple weeks ago in that interview. Need "some" time off. Then again, Kobe's prime might not have been at its one in a generation level, quite as high, had he not worked and practiced all those off seasons. Who's to say at this point except maybe what Kobe thinks. Wonder if he looks back at all that and would have done it any differently with who and what he wanted be in his NBA career.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Sure no doubt. Kobe burned brighter than just about anyone ever when he was on top. The problem is when you burn that brightly, you're going to burn out faster. That's why Russell Westbrook's career could end any day now and why Duncan is still playing. Who's to say which is the better option?

Well I'm saying the better option is the latter, but I'm all about the safe play.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Ellington is there too. Like I said, who didn't show up? Some off-season comradery + a getting a little scouting in.

Just Lin and Young? :D

EDIT: Kelly was there too, apparently.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  5. therealdeal

I like seeing Ellington around our facility even though he's a FA this summer! Bodes well for a contract!

lakerjones and JSM like this.
  6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Kobe Reverse Dunks One After Another

shoe and BigDan24 like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Kobe Bryant visits Lakers' draft workout of Anderson, Wright, others

Kobe Bryant took in part of the Lakers' draft workout Thursday, watching six prospects the team might consider with the 27th and 34th picks in the June 25 NBA draft.

Bryant said he felt good, working his way back from a shoulder injury. He spent time chatting with Coach Byron Scott as the draft prospects spoke with the media.

"Just seeing the Black Mamba walk into our workout at the end, the first thing that came to mind is that he's a killer, and I'd love to play with a killer, said Virginia guard/forward Justin Anderson.

• [​IMG]

Anderson and Delon Wright, brother of Portland Trail Blazers forward Dorell Wright, both project to be late first-round picks.

Wright, a 23-year old, 6-foot-6 point guard averaged 14.7 points and 5.0 assists with Utah as a senior.

"I really don't care who is getting picked first. I think that I have the chance to be the best [point guard] coming out of the draft, so I focus on that," said Wright, who has also worked out for the Chicago Bulls and Indiana Pacers.

"I think coming in, I'll be a defensive guard," said Wright, who while noting his three-point shot improved from 22.2% as a freshman to 35.6% in his second season.

Anderson, a 21-year old junior, hopes to become an immediate defensive presence in the NBA.

lRelated [​IMG]
    "My on-ball defense is my biggest strength. I have a 7-foot wingspan, so my ability to use that length. I'm able to use my quickness," said Anderson. "A lot of people question my lateral quickness, but it's there, believe me."

Anderson is also a capable outside shooter, shooting 45.2% from three-point range as a junior, while averaging 12.2 points a game.

He'll next travel to work out for the Boston C Bags, after previously visiting the Chicago Bulls and San Antonio Spurs.

After the prospects wrapped up on the practice floor, Lakers forward Julius Randle continued to prepare for summer league after foot and leg surgeries during his rookie season. The team has cleared him for full contact in a half-court, three-on-three setting.

Guards Jordan Clarkson and Wayne Ellington, along with forward Ryan Kelly, were also at the team's practice facility o Thursday.

Ellington said he's recovered from the shoulder injury that knocked him out late in the season. Kelly is enjoying the early stages of fatherhood with a 2-week old son.

Numerous members of the Lakers' front office were on hand, including General Manager Mitch Kupchak, along with Jesse Buss, Joey Buss, Ryan West, Jordan Wilkes, Rudy Tomjanovich, Chaz Osborne and Nick Mazzella, among others.

Anthony Brown, a 6-foot-7 forward senior from Stanford, represented himself well, according to a member of the Lakers' staff.

"I've pretty much been watching the Lakers since I was born," said Brown. "To see Kobe that close to me is something that I definitely liked."

Brown shot 44.1% from three-point range last season, but maintains he's more than just a shooter.

"I can get to the basket, get to the free-throw line and do more things than just catch and shoot," said Brown, who also called himself a "three-and-D." player -- outside shooting and defense.

Brown said visited the C Bags before his workout with the Lakers.

Colorado guard Askia Booker, a 6-foot-2 senior, has already traveled to audition with the Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets.

"I have about three days off before I go to Dallas [Mavericks]," said Booker, who admitted to being a little fatigued physically but still sharp mentally as he rushes from workout to workout.

"I noticed him but I'm not too star struck," Booker said of Bryant watching the workout. "He's a great NBA player, probably one of the greatest of all time."

The Lakers also looked at centers Stefan Nastic, 6-foot-11 Stanford senior and Charles Jackson, a 6-foot-10 junior from Tennessee Tech.

"[They] get to see me up close, see how much I love contact, how much I love to play inside out" said Nastic, who noted he also worked out earlier in the week for the Clippers.

"I'm just a hustle player, grab offensive rebounds and just do my part, whatever my team needs me to do," said Jackson, who previously worked out for the Miami Heat.

The Lakers are expected to bring in players throughout most of the next week. The team also has the second overall pick, although they've yet to bring any prospects in that range.

Email Eric Pincus at eric.pincus@gmail.com and follow him on Twitter @EricPincus.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...t-workout-wright-anderson-20150528-story.html

^^^ I highlighted who all was there, and have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised to see Rudy T. really and truly still involved with the Lakers. I always thought that quick resigning in the 1st year of his deal after Phil had a lot to do with Kobe and him maybe butting heads, and not about his health. Maybe I was completely wrong. And I thought the "retention" of him in a consulting capacity was just for the media to lesson the embarrassment to him and the organization of the failed hire. Happens all the time.

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I've always liked...wait, no I haven't. Glad to see you take your head out of your a** long enough to make some sense big fella.

9. therealdeal

His relationship with Kobe now that Kob is retiring is fascinating.

They each have this begrudging, somewhat loving, somewhat hating respect for each other. It's awesome.

They'd make a completely hilarious duo in their older age.

10. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Shaq, Shaq, Shaq... probably? Really?

That's like being put in a survival situation and being asked which of these tools do you choose if your life depended on it:

[​IMG]

OR this:

[​IMG]

LTLakerFan and thkthebest like this.
  11. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Barkley also said that Kobe is above LeBron (indirectly). Earlier today on ESPN 710, he said that LeBron is top 10 all-time. If he wins another ring this year, he'll be one step closer to Kobe. In other words, even if LeBron wins this year, Kobe is still greater.

Around the 9:20 mark: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12990879

12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I'd love to see Kobe join the TNT crew. Can't see him doing it. Maybe if they could structure a deal where he only works during the playoffs. But having the two of them on the set together a few times a week even for a couple months a year would be great entertainment.

13. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

i can totally sense the feeling of regret over what happened when they talk about each other

14. therealdeal

Yeah I think so. You can see them regret that they couldn't get along but you can also see that the two of them still harbor a lot of resentment from that time too.

It'd make a for a good study on human psychology. Where's @Punk-101 at??

lakerjones likes this.
  15. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

i was looking at our 2005-2006 roster...the one that made the Suns crap their pants

Smush
    Kwame
    Luke
    Cook
    Sasha
    Slava

it would already be a big feat taking that team to the playoffs in the east...but for Kobe to do it in the west?

we were truly spoiled/blessed to have this guy battle for the Lakers

therealdeal and TIME like this.
  16. thkthebest

If that Lakers team replaced the current Cavs in the East, they would have made the Finals.

17. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Well, you did leave off their second best player in Odom. And Luke did have a career year. But that is one sorry crew. Don't blame Kobe for asking to play on Pluto.

pound4pound likes this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I so want Kobe to be successful next year. A successful season is what Dwayne Wade had last season:

Assists: 4.8
    Rebounds: 3.5
    FG: 49.0 %
    Games Played: 62
    Minutes: 31.2

If Kobe can give us this next year, I'd be extremely happy. We upgrade the talent on this roster, Kobe does the above, we make the playoffs. Done deal.

19. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Watching some Kobe highlights from early in the year; in totality it wasn't a very good year for Bryant. Nevertheless, in going back through the season & Youtube, there were some standout games he had. What's so sad is that during the early part of the year we ran him into the ground; but you can see, in November, December, he looked fresh, rejuvenated, and better than he did during the middle of December heading into January.

So, far starters how would you treat Kobe differently this year? I think he needs a minimum of 28-31 minutes played, sit-out most if not all B2B's, and monitor him through the season. One thing I did notice was the Kobe-Centric basketball we were playing. We'd stand around and watch Kobe. No movement whatsoever unless Hill was setting a screen for Bryant. So, maybe an upgrade in talent, Kobe working off the ball more, handling it less, would help.

He also said that he felt his shoulder injury in the 'pre-season.' I'm wondering if that contributed to his horrible shooting. Just throwing suggestions out there...

shoe likes this.
  20. thkthebest

Yea, definitely. Kobe looked really, really good early on. If that were with his shoulder injury, I really think Kobe can give us one last great season.

I'm also fairly confident that Byron learned from his mistake this season and will limit Kobe's minutes accordingly.

therealdeal likes this.