Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I just don't see it guys...

If he gets through this season fully healthy it'll be the first time in years. Heck maybe more than ten years; does anyone remember a time he was fully healthy?

If he gets through the season healthy, I think he considers himself lucky and just let's his career end on a high note. I don't see him risking another year where he might get hurt again and further tarnish his legacy. If he makes it through next season I think there's actually even LESS likelihood that he comes back for another year.

The only way I can see him coming back is if the team makes it to the playoffs and then is able to pick up a guy like Durant in the off-season. It's the only way that I see it happening honestly. Otherwise why come back and risk another ruined year?

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much agree. Before the Achilles I actually believed that Kobe could and might go the distance to playing when he was like 39. But now, after yet another injury I don't see it. I'm with therealdeal. I think there's a very small chance he might come back if we reloaded somehow but that's not super likely. We'll see.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  3. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

2010-2011 - He played 82 regular season games plus playoffs. So that's 5 seasons ago.

So yeah, it's been awhile.

Also, it was the last season Phil coached him. Phil had a better idea of how to play him and keep him healthy. MB, D'Antoni, and Byron have been awful in that regard.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

True, but apparently he's had this labral tear for a long time so he's never been technically 100% healthy. My point though is that if he makes it through the year I think that in itself is an accomplishment... I just find it unlikely he pushes his luck and goes for another round unless he feels like the team is good enough to carry him.

revgen likes this.
  5. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Jordan played 82 games in his last year in Washington. I'm 100% confident Kobe knows this. I'm also 99% confident that is a goal of Kobe's.

6. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

I think it all comes down to ring potential. If we look like we're only 2 years away or so (for whatever reason) I think he stays, but takes it easy and takes on more of a Ray Allen/Reggie Miller role. If there's no hope of winning it all any time in the next 2 years or so (following the current contract that is) then he leaves after this season.

lakerjones and TIME like this.
  7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I saw that too today. What crap that was from Paige and Israel. Kobe clearly and always has since his 2007 fiasco has always wanted to finish as a Laker

8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Yeah...that Israel guy. I don't know if he was being serious or just trying to say so because you can't have the same opinion as the others to make the show. I speculated too that 24 could come back because I recall reading that he has expressed that it is a possibility or maybe it was a throw away line so he can avoid the last farewell hoopla that he doesn't want to endure.

9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    This is exactly why I stopped watching Around the Horn years ago because many times people on their just say things to create a story or add flavor to the show. I want to hear how people really think/feel about something. Not something they made up to get more ratings.

10. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    In his HBO special he made it very clear he is going to retire as a Laker. On Jimmy Kimmel said the same and also said he does not want the Derek Jeter treatment his final year so he will not announce he's retiring until he's done. In his final year he want's to be treated the same as he always has on the road, it motivates him to be the guy in the black hat and want's that as his final memories.
    But..... is it his last year? No one knows including Mitch. That's the feeling now. Fast forward to game 50 with him healthy, putting up big numbers like before the Achilles and a fresh, young, competitive team. New CBA, tons of cap space.....could be he just stays quiet, let's the Lakers go after Durant or another big fish, then they all feel it out seeing if another year would be a good thing for him and the Lakers.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That's how I see it playing out. If he keeps reasonable health and gets juiced by the shiny, new talented roster around him he may stay.

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  12. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Kobe is looking at this year as a challenge. While he won't say it, I think he has it prioritized as follows

1. Get through the season without injury
    2. Get into the playoffs
    3. Attempt to carry team (turn on the jets)
    4. Win Championship in year where no one thought you could play (against all odds mentality)
    5. Retire

Kobe has zero motivation (assuming he proves he can still play) to risk being carried off the floor in a year he is chasing a ring. (i.e 2017) I think this is truly the 'swan song' season.

13. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Kobe saw his mortality for the first time. He admits that he can not carry a team anymore. That said, I think secretly and with his competitiveness, he secretly believes that if he can stay healthy, he has enough to do just that - carry a team and win a championship - over a period of 16 -20 games - just not 100.

Which if I am even close is what I love about Mamba. Ego, Competitive Desire to be the Best even when your body, mind, and outsiders say you can't do it...and his own (in his elder years) ability to self-reflect and know yourself and yet keep something a mystery - enjoy the journey and be special. Kobe and Jerry West are kindred spirits.

14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

15. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

kobe definitely is the type who will hang them up before taking a lesser role

but if things start looking up after this upcoming season and he's healthy and still playing at a high level, i highly doubt he retires

lakerjones likes this.
  16. Daloyalfan18-Brandon

Daloyalfan18-Brandon - Rookie -

Kobe on twitter:

17. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, if he is able to make it through this year with relatively good health (I said relatively) and our 3 young pups really develop nicely, I think he comes back on a year by year basis mainly because I think those three playing well will draw in a big free agent (Durant) which would make Kobe rethink his 6th man/role player comments. If he wins a sixth ring as a deluxe 6th man, in fifteen years, no one will remember how he won it. Just that he has 6 rings...one more than Magic and the same as Jordan.

DarthRekal, D-Fish Man and karacha like this.
  18. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

^

Yeah, I agree.

19. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

You're kidding right? I am sure that Kobe in his mind is going for the championship next year. he dosent care who is on his team in his first, second or third year in the league. he looks at them expecting the best. so yes, on an outside look, this is kobe's last dance with those youngsters, but in his mind, he sees himself at the playoffs and beyond.

He is gonna train like hell in the next 5 months. he is not quitting yet.
    and there is a reason why he dosent make it official. if he's gonna make through the year with no injuries, I'm sure he will sign another year with a potential championship team.

I am not saying it because I heard something. I say it because everyone who anaylize kobe's charachter can know he wants that 6 championship for as much as his body can sustain.

so I wouldn't write his ending so soon.

20. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

IMO I think it's more important to him that he finishes his career as a Laker for life, then he wins his 6th ring. I really don't think he'll ever entertain the idea of joining another team.

LTLakerFan likes this.