Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    It's coming out on Saturday, not tomorrow

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Tonight! We'll see how good an engaged, wanting to be good at it, Kobe Bryant's creative instincts are. His fingerprints are all over this production from accounts I've seen.

shoe likes this.
  3. shoe

shoe - Rookie -

I'm really excited for this. Got Showtime free for 3 months just to watch this documentary.

4. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I considered doing this as well, but decided to just wait and pray that someone will upload it

5. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Anyone know where I can stream the documentary online? Preferably in HD?

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I thought the documentary was pretty dang good. Kobe describing what blowing your achilles feels like made me cringe, but it was something I never thought about in that detail. Watching Kobe rehab, picking up metal balls with his foot and putting them in a cup, how tedious, man what these guys go through, even with the big paycheck.

The part about when he first met Vanessa and he said he wasn't a big basketball star yet so he had to be all like "pleasure to meet you" cracked me up. The bit about his "mistake" that almost cost him his family and talking about living with feeling like he caused the miscarriage of his 2nd child was pretty candid stuff.

Beyond that it was stuff we mostly know, but I like how it was presented. I like his explanation about how big beating the C Bags was, because it was very true in the grand scheme. Lakers don't win in 2010 and Kobe's legacy is not the same, he looks more like Jerry West than Magic, and that's not a knock on West at all, that's just fact. His reaction to this latest shoulder injury was new in that we don't usually get to see that news given, and we saw his uncensored reaction. I'd definitely watch this again, I only touched on a few standout scenes, there were many more.

7. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Battle Tested20 and Helljumper like this.
  8. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Ugh ... I've only watched about 25 minutes of the documentary. At this point, I'm too tired and I'd rather wait for an HD version to leak.

But damn it. Here I've been emotionally and logically preparing for Kobe's retirement. Over the past few months, I've been thinking about what we can do as a franchise to rebuild without Kobe. But after just the first 20 minutes of that documentary, I want to throw that all away. I want that storybook ending however improbable it might be. I want to see Kobe go out on top. Because as much joy as this franchise has brought me, Kobe's been responsible for so much of it.

Sports superstars are our modern day superheroes and Kobe is god damn Superman.

Weezy likes this.
  9. LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life - Rookie -

Battle Tested20 and DjBelvedere like this.
  10. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

great documentry. loved seeing Kobe in a diffrent way.
    he is more than a legendery basketball player. he is smart on a diffrent level. and if he did took charge on this doc then he's emotional IQ is better than people think.
    things I learned for the first time:
    - The importance of summer of 97. looks like in that summer Kobe really invented for himself hard work and mental streangth.
    - Loved hearing how he channeld the rollercoaster of 2004 into an alter ego on the court. that was sweet.

after watching this you just want to put that another final 10 minutes, with the last chapter finished in another screaming and champagne scene in the 2016 season. dreams dreams.

JSM and Ryanwestlombardi like this.
  11. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    DVR'd it, watched it and it was outstanding! A real look inside the man, even as a fan who has watched his whole career he has been largely an unknown as a person, except what we read in all the negative articles written, and negative Smush and Shaq comments. I highly recommend it even if you're not a Kobe fan.

12. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

13. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Full Video and HD! Enjoy!

14. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Man, the part where he's talking about the miscarriage was painful to watch.

Thanks for posting the video.

15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I still can't believe he air balled 4 straight shots against Utah as a rookie. One, that he didn't make the adjustment. Two, that he kept shooting them with the vets on that team. Three, that he went straight to a gym and shot for a day to get past that moment.

I wish I would have watched my TV recording of it instead of on line at my computer monitor. It was fine until I got about 1/2 way through, then it kept freezing all the time but I stuck with it there.

Great production. One of a kind player. And a lot of great insight into the man.

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

That was a great documentary. Very rare for any athlete who's still playing to pull back the curtain and to give you that candid of a look.

Hopefully he'll continue his story telling when he hangs them up, whether it's more film (which he said he enjoys) or whether it's a book. He's good at it and knows how to tell the story that he wants to tell.

hopefully one day we'll get to see the other one they shot last year than he canned in favor of this, even if it is more of a paint by numbers.

17. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I just finished watching it. Really great stuff but at times I don't know what to really make of it though. I wish there was a better ending for it. Good thing ,though is that its not quite over yet.

Definitely some heavy stuff in the documentary. Tears will flow and part of me will feel lost when his time is up, no doubt in my mind. Watching him interact with his family though at the end while the credits were rolling was great to witness.

There are certain things watching him all these years while I grew up that I learned and patterned myself to also do. Not in basketball persay even though there is some of that with how intense I can be when I play. But mainly sacrificing friendships (not partying/drinking with friends) in order to stand for something that is important to me. I'm paining the price a little for some of those things now, but its because of Kobe that I find solace in those choices I've made.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I think it's interesting to ask, if he doesn't shoot those 4 airballs, does he make such a big improvement from rookie year? We know Kobe has always worked hard, so improvement was always going to happen, but the failure, the humiliation of those 4 airballs, had to be more motivation to work like crazy than if he'd hit 2 of those shots and looked like he was already for the big moment.

Maybe he says to himself ok, my jumper is good, don't need to shoot 1,000 shots or whatever tomorrow. Instead he goes into the gym right after and puts up shots all day. Then he obviously worked hard all that summer fueled by what happened and came back the next season already much improved. His minutes almost double, his ppg double, and he starts really taking off from there. He clearly worked hard to earn more time and a bigger opportunity with the team.

I dunno, he seemed to make a point of including that for that reason IMO. Like I haven't seen those airballs in forever, I forgot it was even 4, I thought it was 3, and they really showed those things in all their ugly glory. That failure really seemed to drive him to improve quickly.

therealdeal, ShowTime_IR and John3:16 like this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

^ His J might have taken longer to develop, but I think he would've been the same player. He wanted to "belong at the table" and prove to himself and everyone else he was as good as/better than the young stars (AI, Ray Ray, etc), that he deserved minutes on a veteran team with established guards on the roster, and deserved to be on the court with MJ.

The fire, drive, determination, and escape was always there.

20. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

If you haven't watched Whiplash yet, you should. Great film and speaks almost directly to this point.

Battle Tested20 and John3:16 like this.