Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

Mission accomplished Mamba.

I wonder if Reggie's Lebron and Kobe are today's Magic and Kobe comment was damage control for the ridiculous let's just talk about Lebron halftime show from Kenny Smith. Mamba army - I am sure I could tko the Jet.

2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Despite the loss, and the phantom fouls for the Cavs, that was an entertaining games. Also, despite my dislike of LeBron, it was clear he was having fun in one of his final games against Kobe and that it mattered to him. Same for Kobe. They tried to give the fans a good show, and I had fun watching it.

There are no real rivalries anymore or star player vs star player matchups like there used to be, this is kind of as close as it gets. 2 all time greats enjoying a matchup, and at least it seeming like LeBron got the significance of it, and that it's one of the last of these.

And that's the nicest you'll ever hear me talk about this drama queen, attention whore, ref protected, media golden boy, self-anointing King, ring-chasing, flopping, never taking blame for anything player who gets franchises handed to him that he holds hostage. Could go on but I'll stop there.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    raviator, shoe, Barnstable and 9 others like this.
  4. Manve77

Manve77 - Rookie -

Serious business
    Was great to see Kobe not forcing it, passing, rebounding, scoring on a high level. Looks like he is at peace with himself and his game looks a bit more relaxed, not so tense. That's why only 1 bad ISO play in the whole game.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Kobe Bryant ala Mark Twain: "The reports of my death were greatly exaggerated." Drops 19, 17 and 6 while shooting 50% and has a career high game in assists. Mind-blowing. Legend.

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Saw quick "writing" and maybe something else credits at the end with 2 "Malamud" names. Must have been kids of a very popular L.A. sportswriter for the L.A. Times who died young at 54, Allan Malamud.

7. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Just saw a tweet that the only other player with a line like this since 1985 is Magic.

therealdeal and lakerjones like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Hard to bag on LeBron over in NBA Discussion now, seeing Kobe have so much apparent good natured fun with him tonight. A lot of mutual respect. Cool to see.

But it's a dirty job and someone's got to do it..... [​IMG]

9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Ben Rosales @brosales12 · 2h 2 hours ago
    Yep, this. RT @mattbilinsky: LeBron at 39 minutes, Kyrie & Love at 38 to beat this scrub team w/ Kobe on a minutes restriction

Ben Rosales @brosales12 · 2h 2 hours ago
    Kobe with 19/6/17 on a 62.0 TS% in 32 minutes and only three turnovers. Yowza.

The first tweet is how I feel; honestly, 3 All-Stars, Olympians, and the best plaeyr in the world and they still struggle to beat a Lakers team that has the 4th worst record in the league..LOL. Kudos to Mamba, though. It adds to his legend.

10. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Feeding the bigs in traffic has to be the most underrated/overlooked aspect of Kobe's game ...

11. escobar8

escobar8 - Rookie -

Teacher
    Easily the best game of the season, i am sad to admit it but i fell asleep in the second half...but everything i saw i liked...no forcing and the best part 17a-3to...
    I dont expect and dont wish him to average more than 7a...couse he cant,and must not do everything...

12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Mamba still knows how to surprise everyone, dude put on a show and man did I want us to win that game.

Also wanted to see Lebron pick up Kobe towards the end when Kobe was guarding Lebron on the other end though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    fabulus likes this.
  13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

A few things:

1. Like Weezy said it was actually pretty great to see Kobe and LeBron interact like that. Two of the absolute All-Time greats to play this game going at it fiercely but respectfully. It was like watching a pick-up game sometimes which isn't a bad thing. I don't like the way the media protects LeBron, but he seems like a good person. That showed last night in both ways. It was especially fun hearing whoever it was calling the game last night (Marv Albert) having to tear down Kobe every now and then just to prop up LeBron. Never mind that Kobe is in his 19th season and 36 years old.

2. Brings me to the next point that... wow man. Kobe Bryant with this much time on his legs, with those many miles run up and down the floor, with his age and coming back from TWO career threatening injuries... This guy comes out and has a career best 17 in the assist column with only three turnovers. Not once in his amazing, illustrious career has he ever done that and he does it as he's heading towards the end of the road. Unbelievable. He almost single-handedly beat a team with three All-Stars, a former All-Star, the Greatest Player in the World currently, a Top 5 Draft Pick, and a guy they just traded two 1st Rounders for. Overly specific? Yeah, maybe but remember this is Kobe Bryant at the end of the rope on a team that's almost destined for a Top 5 pick. Even ESPN can't hate on last night's performance.

3. It was good to see Reggie clarify his statement from the Dan Patrick Show. He had said that Kobe Bryant on his best day wasn't as good as Jordan on his best day. Obviously that was ludicrous and idiotic. He made sure to backtrack to the point that he hadn't played Kobe in his prime. When the two of them met in the Finals, Kobe was still young and on the ascension. Miller clashed with Jordan a lot more than Kobe and all through Jordan's prime so he had to face the worst of it. I didn't hear Reggie ever admit that it might have been different if he'd faced Kobe a few years later, but that's alright. We all got the point. He went on to point out that he personally would only take two guards ever over Kobe Bryant and that's Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson. Considering one of them is a PG and the other is widely considered the greatest guard of all time... That's a hell of a compliment.

14. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Realdeal, I think that was the other guy, Kevin Harlan, not Marv Albert. I get them confused too, they sound exactly the same. I agree 100% with your post.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

[​IMG]

Kobe hugging Kyrie after a press-conference.

16. LaVarBallsDad

17. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

AMAZING performance by Kob. It looked more like an allstar game level competition to me (for the fans) more than fiercely competitive though. But whatever, Kobe was getting it done in other ways and it was unbelievable how easy he made that look against that level of talent. That's why he's so respected. Nobody else can do that and for him to still be able to bust out amazing for fans is truly unique.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Shaq of all people pointed this out to the TNT crew at halftime as they mocked us and Kobe. Yes, SHAQ, was the one to defend Kobe Bryant and his passing ability, that's pathetic on the part of all these media haters that ignore it and say he's only a shooter. At least Kevin Harlan respects Kobe enough (and he used to gush over him before the LeBron days) and pointed out that he's the only player to have 30,000 points and 6,000 assists, and he'd have a few more this season if guys didn't fumble his passes and miss gimmes.

Actually I think Kobe could have had a couple 17-20 assist games by now if on nights he was finding Hill, Wes, and even Sacre wide open, they weren't bricking the shots. Hill was finally on fire last night, and if Wes or Price could make a shot Kobe would have had 20 assist. Like Stu says, no matter how great the pass is, you only get the assist if they make the shot.

19. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

And then they mocked Shaq and said Kobe got him traded. Glad Shaq threw in the "not until we got 3 rings" comment.

20. BadCoaching

BadCoaching - Rookie -

I'm so tired of this 'shut kobe down' talk. He already was out most of two seasons and has sat a bunch this season. As if sitting 2 and a half seasons and not staying competitive is going to save him for anything. Such a waste of the end of his career.. makes me sick.

They're going to suck regardless.. he doesn't have to sit out for them to lose OBVIOUSLY since they lose with him in the game 40 minutes taking every shot anyway. Why can't the guy go in and score and play his 30 or so minutes? Does he really have to sit out and be the old man and be 'saved'..

It's all I hear on the radio and from people..