Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

That's in Bosnia.

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Even though he's a hated C bag, I've got to agree with him on this one. That's what I was saying earlier in this thread. I've never seen a more complete offensive player than Kobe.

Lakers News: Kendrick Perkins Ranks Kobe Bryant Most Skilled NBA Player Of All-Time
    • 2 minute read
    Tweet
    [​IMG]
    Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
    UP NEXT
    upload_2020-6-7_16-16-12.png

NBA Rumors: All Players, Team Personnel Likely To Stay In One Disney World Resort
    Published on06/07/2020
    AUTHOR
    Maximo Gonzales

With the 2019-20 NBA season still on hiatus for the next month or so, fans and media alike have had ample time to come up with rankings regarding some of the hierarchies in league history.

The Los Angeles Lakers have a rich tradition of producing some of the NBA’s most iconic players and they have found themselves on these lists more often than not. Kobe Bryant is certainly no exception.

There has always been plenty of debate regarding Bryant’s ranking among the all-time greats. The recent list composed by Kendrick Perkins reveals some high praise for his former competitor.

Perkins recently took to Twitter to name his five most skilled players in NBA history with Bryant edging out his idol in Michael Jordan:

My Top 5 All-Time Most Skilled Players…

1. Kobe Bryant

2. Micheal Jordan

3. Kevin Durant

4. Kyrie Irving

5. Kevin Garnett

It should be noted that Perkins’ list is quite different from his all-time starting five, which did not feature Bryant. He did, however, include LeBron James.

Although Perkins may have pegged Bryant as the most skilled player to ever pick up a basketball, it seems this was not enough to earn him a spot on the starting five. While the exact criteria he used to come up with the list was subjective, Perkins certainly set it up for there to be plenty of room for debate.

Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of Perkins’ lineup is the respect he has for Kevin Durant and Kevin Garnett. They managed to make both lists as two of the most talented frontcourt players in his opinion.

Of course, it is safe to assume that a relationship as former teammates of Durant and Garnett may have played a role in the decision-making process.

Perkins may find himself having to argue his case for Garnett and Kyrie Irving’s status on the list, however, there are few that would disagree with his assessment of the top two since Bryant and Jordan were clearly cut from a different cloth than the rest of the players that have graced the NBA up to this point.

Through sheer talent and determination, they managed to erase any weaknesses in their game in order to dominate in every fashion on both ends of the floor.

alam1108, Barnstable, jbiggs and 4 others like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:SadPau2:

I've been saying it a heck of a lot longer than Perkins.

[​IMG]

jbiggs, sirronstuff, TIME and 2 others like this.
  4. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

One thing that irks me about fanbases is when bias surpasses facts.

Durant is a more efficient scorer shooting the ball in a larger aspect of scoring than Kobe was. Kobe had a killer midrange game but Durant is more efficient in the midrange game. Durant is more efficient shooting FT's, the three ball, and just about everywhere on the court. Kobe might be the more skilled scorer but Durant is the more lethal one because there is really nothing you can do when Durant decides he wants to shoot over you. Kobe wasn't shooting over players. His skill with the ball and footwork allowed him to outwork his opponent. Durant doesn't have to outwork them. He's 7 foot. When he pulls up for a shot, it's rare it will get blocked unless the player is specifically in reach before Durant is shooting the ball. I can't believe people refuse to accept that you can be a Lakers fan but also acknowledge that there are players who can be better in some aspects of the game. Kobe is a better player than Durant because of his work ethic, mentality, defense, and overall game. But me saying Durant is a more lethal scorer doesn't in any way put Durant above Kobe so I am not sure why you feel the need to think otherwise. Come and prove your case... You said Kobe's was better... shooting metrics show KD was more efficient. Which part of better are you implying in this case? The difference betwen Kobe/KD killing teams is largely based on how many shots one takes. Durant was less selfish with the ball so it was rare for him to ever take the same amount of shots Kobe did. I'm really not sure what evidence you have but I will await a response.

5. BangBoomPow

Yeah but you also said you hated LeBron two years ago but became one of the bigger LeBron fanboys here when he signed so it works both ways.

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I did. But that has nothing to do with what I have maintained for years about Kobe. And with LeBron it is because he has been a perfect citizen here without all the things about him so many of us used to hate in the past.

jbiggs likes this.
  7. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Sometimes I wonder if you have ever actually watched games, or just read stat sheets.

8. BangBoomPow

I love how you didn't really answer the question. Presumably, because you can't. Now you're questioning whether or not I watch the games. AKA, resorting to factors that can't be proven. Do you watch the games? Come back to me when you have a response in which I can work with. Otherwise, just keep being biased.

9. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Sigh. Maybe go read what KD himself has said about Kobe's game. Or MJ. Or Magic. Or Bird. Or Pippen. Or Shaq. Or Phil Jackson. Or Tex Winter. Or Jerry West.

Stats tell a story. They never tell the full story. That's the point of questioning whether you actually watch the games. The shared evaluation of those that know best (neither me or you) is that Kobe was on another level. Apparently you missed that as you watched. Since you asked, yes, I watch the games. I watched easily 90%+ of all the games that Kobe ever played. I have not watched KD as much, but I've seen him play at his peak. Truly great offensive player, and probably top 10 all time offensively, but not on Kobe's level.

Regarding your repeated "Bias" assertion. I'm claiming you're biased against Kobe. If you weren't you would recognize he was better than KD. Now disprove it. See how that works?

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Let’s hug it out.

:Shaqfunnyface:

11. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    KB > KD

Nuff said

12. BangBoomPow

Sigh... Maybe reading is difficult these days.

1) What does KD or others saying something about Kobe have to do with anything I've stated? It doesn't. You're just reaching for help.

2) I never stated that stats tell the full story. But they do tell something and that something is that Durant is simply more efficient and IMO, more lethal because he is 7 ft tall and shoots as good as anyone we have ever seen.

3) Not on Kobe's level but you won't explain how. You have added nothing but personal opinions (which I am entitled to). It just so happens that we're in a Lakers forum so you think anyone who is saying X is better than Lakers player is biased when all of us are NBA fans first and Lakers fans second.

Here's the real answer:

1) I've stated that Kobe is as talented as Jordan and maybe more.
    2) I've stated that Kobe is better than Durant.
    3) I've stated that Kobe P4P is right up there with anyone as a scorer.
    4) I've stated that Kobe is a top-five NBA player.

I state that IMO, Durant is a more lethal scorer and you're claiming I didn't watch Kobe play? Gtfo. It's perfectly fine for another player to do something better. Don't be emotional, please.

13. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Everyone, let's keep it civil please.

Differences of opinion are fine, so let's not allow a discussion to ramp up into an argument.

14. sirronstuff

BBP, sometimes you just aren't all that likable. Not sure if it's the tone of your words, the condencension, or the content. Either way, I skip most of what you write because I don't need the negativity in my life. I don't say that to be rude, but it kind of is what it is at this point.

BangBoomPow likes this.
  15. BangBoomPow

Thanks. I wasn't planning on sticking around any longer anyways. Tough to be a new user here when it seems other opinions of the contrary are not accepted. Tip for new user: Don't have an opinion.

16. sirronstuff

and don't be an arse

:Brows::Fishwink:

Kenzo and SamsonMiodek like this.
  17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I've been gone for 3 months and I see nothings changed.

18. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    and thats cause nothing has happened

sirronstuff and D-Fish Man like this.
  19. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

20. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Kobe dying f***ing sucks. The end.

jbiggs, TIME, alam1108 and 5 others like this.