Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I don’t know about league action. I like seeing individual teams do it though.

2. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

3. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

ariza wearing #8

4. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

I can't believe it. I still can't.

I never imagined reading, "Kobe Bryant Dead," on a headline any time soon, if ever.

It goes without saying, but he was and is forever a LEGEND and had so much more ahead of him. Him AND his daughter, so tragic, I just can't believe it. I'm numb.

I love reading everyone's stories here and reminiscing his career. I remember first hearing reports about him months before the '96 draft, including one where Jerry West said he was the best talent he's seen in a long time. And what a pleasant surprise that we were able to maneuver a trade to get him, and the rest was history. I struggle with motivation and determination at times, and people like Kobe directly inspire me to be bold, be better, and be able to take on the world.

Life is short. Hug your loved ones. I still can't process this. My condolences to his family and everyone else involved in the crash.

DoMinJoon, KB24, LTLakerFan and 8 others like this.
  5. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

I just rewatched Kobe's final game and I could barely keep myself together. I remember after the game he joked about how his daughter's were too young to actually see him at his peak greatness and couldn't believe how amazing he was that night. Watching the game and seeing how excited Gianna was and how that ultimately translated to her bball development makes this even more tragic.

Kobe may no longer be with us, but he will never be dead. "Heroes get remembered, legends never die."

6. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

My heart sunk to the bottom of my stomach and I'm numb. I love you Kobe and i'll miss you.

7. had

had - Rookie -

When the news first hit the TV this morning, I had it on channel 5, and they were showing the Kobe dunk on Dwight Howard from years back – 2006? And they kept it on loop, Kobe just dunking viciously on Dwight Howard, into infinity, as the news filtered in.

Which is to say that I guess everyone has their special Kobe moments. I remember well a mid-week regular season game in Utah, when Kobe went nuts and destroyed the Jazz, destroyed their fans, destroyed the arena. Kobe laid waste to the whole city. (It was the “they booed Derek Fisher and I’m not having it” game.) And I suppose what struck me then, as it still does now, is how Kobe represented Los Angeles. He sold out every damn night, and he let everybody know – we’re the Lakers and that’s what’s up.

This death hurts a lot – I’m surprised by how much it hurts. I look back at his time playing, and I think I understand why – no matter what I was going through – and life had quite a few ups and downs for me back in those days – 3 or so nights a week, I got to tune in to see Kobe Bryant rep this city and stick it to the best player on the other team.

I remember Stu Lantz some years back, at the beginning of a season, the Lakers were playing the Rockets, I think – back when they had Tracy McGrady – and Kobe came out and immediately established dominance over McGrady. Stu said something to the extent of – “Kobe letting Tracy know that he’s steeeeeel the man.”

It helps a little, to come in here and see all the guys are hurting – it helps, I think, to know you’re not alone in suffering. I made the mistake of watching the Doc Rivers interview from earlier today, and man- God love Doc Rivers.

My uncle once told me how he felt when his oldest sister died – he said that he’d gone to visit her a few times in the weeks and months before her death, and had made a point to thank her for everything she’d done for him. They talked about what that meant, to both of them, and came to a place where they both felt okay about saying goodbye. Not that it didn’t hurt, but he was just really grateful to have been able to thank her, and to have had that conversation.

Of course, none of us, it is most likely, ever got a chance to thank Kobe. And I think that hurts, as well.

So for whatever it’s worth, thank you to the people who make this site possible, and thank you, Kobe. I can hardly believe it’s possible that you’re gone. Thanks so much for all the great memories. Much love.

8. SWAdude

SWAdude - Rookie -

First post everyone. Lifelong Lakers fan and felt a need to be with others like me today.

The world is hurting today. Just heard the Mavericks are retiring #24. Class act.

This hurts to my core. Kobe was too special I suppose. There are no words.

Tuesday nights game is going to be a must watch. Wish I could be there.

9. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

This quote is everything to me right now. Thank you for sharing.

DoMinJoon, lakerjones, Kenzo and 8 others like this.
  10. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

Had no idea FIzdale was from LA, you can see how much it's affected him here.

DoMinJoon, KB24, LTLakerFan and 6 others like this.
  11. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    This is triggering. Like most of you I'm barely keeping it together. Back in 2010 I bought playoff tickets to see us play OKC. I took my dad whose health was starting to fail him at the time. He's now gone and with Kobe's passing all I can think about is that moment with my dad, watching, something we were able to share together. Knowing Kobe's daughter was in that helicopter only makes this worse.

I love this community and all of you here. I'm gonna go cry now.

12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I hear you, brotha. Love you all. Let's get through this season together.

I'm shedding a year now

13. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

I've never really mourned a "celebrity". Never understood it. Always thought, how could you cry/mourn for someone you didn't personally know. I didn't realize how much of an impact that Kobe left on my life, not my sports fandom, but my life. I apologize to all those I judged in the past, because I get it now.

14. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Been out all day. Wish I could have checked in earlier with my Laker fam. I probably won’t say anything you guys haven’t expressed already in more eloquent terms.

Didn't think it was possible for me to feel so gutted over the death of someone I never actually met. I usually shrug off celebrity deaths with a courteous “That’s a shame.” and continue to go about my day, but losing Bean like this? Wooooh, I’m absolutely devastated.

That’s because he wasn’t just a celebrity to us. He was the person responsible for so much unrelenting joy in our lives. It’s impossible to quantify how much he’s improved my day-to-day life. Like all of us, I care waaaay too much about my teams. Kobe is one of the rare athletes that felt like he cared just as much about every second on that court repping the purple & gold as we did. With Kobe on our team, we always had a chance to win, and maybe even more incredibly, see something truly amazing that we might not ever see again.

I was 7 years old when Magic abruptly retired, so I have very few foggy memories of watching him play at his highest level. Kobe joined the Lakers when I was 12. We grew up together. We lost a lifelong friend today and I’m absolutely grieving over it right now.

Rest In Peace, Kob. You, beautiful Gigi, and the 7 other souls who perished with you didn’t deserve this. God bless you & your families. We love you.

DoMinJoon, lakerjones, JSM and 20 others like this.
  15. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

I have to admit that Rivers interview put me over the edge...even if I despise his team and the one before it.

DoMinJoon, lakerjones, JSM and 7 others like this.
  16. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

I was really moved by Doc's words. I suppose his worth around NBA circles is that he's a great motivator and he can get guys together. Doc said he didn't have any words but I think he hit a few of our thoughts on the head when he spoke.

DoMinJoon, JSM, Lakerman JSJ and 3 others like this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

18. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

19. Jazzygirl205

Jazzygirl205 - Rookie -

Jerry West's face breaks my heart. He basically raised him. It's probably like him losing a son.

I'm probably never gonna be okay after this. I'll probably take a break from sports overall for a while.

20. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member