Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Something i haven't mentioned much on here. Figured I'd share today. I've suffered from a serious auto immune disease for about 14 years.
    I've always been a lakers fan, but when i was sick, i watched even more games. Kobe's drive, spirit, competitiveness and never quit attitude
    helped inspire me through some very difficult and dark times in relation to my health. Watching him fight through injuries the way he did
    made me push harder too. Im much better these days in part because many of my doctors said i outworked any patient they have ever seen.
    Thank you Kobe for your inspiration, it was more than basketball for me.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Nothing else to add to this tragedy besides stay safe and hug your loved ones y’all. This really hits hard.

alam1108, DoMinJoon, KB24 and 17 others like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Wow johnnyboy.

:Beertoast2:

:FistPump:

DoMinJoon, Lakeshow85, tada and 6 others like this.
  4. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

Feel bad for Dwight as well. I felt like this season, winning over Kobe was one of his biggest motivation. You could tell that Dwight really wanted Kobe's approval and it's sad that it never got to that point, fully.

5. GNC

GNC - Rookie -

absolutely stunned... this ******* hurts.

6. LTLakerFan

This is an amazing and raw interview with Jerry and Jim Hill. The whole interview of course and it's enlightening into who Kobe was from Jerry West himself. Kobe was different. "Sprinkled with (forget the term he used while talking about Flair and Charisma) But wait for it and pay attention especially to 9.30 minutes in until the end. The essence of who Kobe was and Jerry starts by saying this whole "Mamba Mentality" he (personally never bought into) was not what it was that was most special about him. And then the great affirmation of who he really was to Jerry and what made him someone for the ages in sports. Earlier Jerry's biggest or equally big joy was seeing him with his family and his girls and how he was with them.

Must listen.

7. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

8. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Man I’m devastated, haven’t shed tears in a long time, like for many of you - we grew up with this man.

Kobe was like a mentor to me, and I learnt so many lessons from him. From his unwavering desire early in his NBA career, his growth in leadership to win his 4th and 5th and later to his graceful transition into a new career that looked to be even better than the basketball one.

He was becoming a titan in the creative field and the finance field. Two that I’m directly involved in. And what a shame we lose the impact on this fields he would of had.

You will be missed sir. And I grieve for your daughter who carried similar competitive traits to you and the remaining passengers on board.

DoMinJoon, JSM, jbiggs and 11 others like this.
  9. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

two laker legends reunited in the skies

DoMinJoon, lakerjones, KB24 and 5 others like this.
  10. LTLakerFan

I had been watching randomly channel 5 coverage because my wife had it on that channel and the camera view had the smoke coming up in the distance quite aways away from the crash site. One of my best friends who had just lost the most amazing cat ever he had for 14 years and still hurting over that called me to see how I was doing with this awful news. He asked if I had seen the aerial above the crash looking down footage and I hadn't at that point. He said there was a hiking path or maybe a fire trail that it went down right next to it and wondered if the pilot hadn't been trying to crash land it there. I'd always read that they could sometimes "feather" or down gear the rotor to soften a crash landing if power was out. Maybe that is what happened with where it wound up. But also looked like somewhat of a slope so guess if that was the situation the blade could have caught the hillside and wrenched it. One onlooker said it came down hard so who knows yet. Hope the black box is intact and has information and / or audio. Drone or bird strike? F***!!! He and Gianna both. Plus the other teammates and parents and pilot.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  11. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

This is the biggest loss in NBA history. Maybe I'm just younger than most here but I can't recall one that hit me this bad outside of my own family. With that being said, I feel like NBA has to celebrate Kobe's career way beyond just the Lakers. He should be the new logo... Staples Center should have Kobe and his daughter as statues ASAP.

jbiggs, Weezy, ElginTheGreat and 3 others like this.
  12. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

I'm heartbroken. Kobe was the reason I became a fan 24 years ago and the reason why I started doing highlights. This is gonna take a while to process.

DoMinJoon, JSM, KB24 and 17 others like this.
  13. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Adding another level of misery to this tragedy was his daughter who had her whole life ahead of her...also for those who were on that copter. My condolences to them as well.

lakerjones, JSM, Kenzo and 10 others like this.
  14. gcclaker

15. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

The Kobe - LeBron look back on ESPN and all the things Kobe said in reflections and tributes of others, including about taking Gianna to games, just broke me again. I haven’t balled like this, as a grown man, since my pops died.

DoMinJoon, lakerjones, KB24 and 8 others like this.
  16. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I’m still in shock and disbelief over the passing of my role model and sports idol - Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna (Gigi)

Kobe was the one that got me into basketball and ultimately ingrained the Lakers to be my team for life which started in 1997 at the age of 7. I’ve fortunately been able to attend a number of Lakers games in my life and the most important & memorable one being Kobe’s last career game at Staples. But nothing will be as special and stay with him more then attending Kobe’s 1st ever Basketball Camp at Loyola Marymount University in LA. It was the only, last year I could attend because of my age. As the oldest kids at the camp, our age bracket, teams had to learn the legendary triangle offense.

Learning it wasn’t easy but we worked at it. I’ll never forget how much Kobe coached and participated with all of us kids as we tried to pick it up. I was having some trouble with some of the positions and walked over to him to ask some questions. There it was just Kobe and myself talking about the fundamentals of the triangle offense for 3-4 minutes. Toward the end of the camp when we took our team pictures with him and got an item signed I thanked him again for our chat and for having this camp.

But Kobe and the Lakers mean more than just a cool interaction and the games I attended. In the early 2000s when I was dealing with my dad’s health and stroke issues that would rock my world what was there to help breathe life into this young teenager? Kobe’s mindset, intensity, and will to succeed. All those Lakers championships and success helped me get through the difficult times. Kobe was the main culprit in all of this. It’s not just me either. Ask the entire generation living in LA and around the world. He was our generation’s Michael Jordan.

This tragedy is even more painful because of all the tremendous work Kobe was doing for women’s sports, particular the WNBA and for the youth of today with his books & digital work. Being the first athlete to win an Oscar. He had been coaching his daughter Gianna’s AAU basketball team. Gianna had that drive and mindset that her dad had and I looked forward to watching her in the WNBA someday. There is no doubt in my mind Kobe’s contributions off the court would impact the world more than anything he did on the court for the Lakers in the 20 years he played.

Thank you Kobe for everything you have done and the ripple effects your legacy will surely have all of us still. You will greatly be missed and this will take a while for us fans to get over. I know your working just as hard in Heaven now.

Forever 8 & 24

17. Manve77

Manve77 - Rookie -

Serious business
    Pure tragedy! I followed Kobe during all his career. For me he was bigger then MJ, Magic or Shaq. A friend, C Bags fan texted me by Wechat this morning I thought it was another stupid joke...We have enough fear and tragic news here in China due to the coronavirus alone, and now this! Poor little Gianna, was only 13...Rest in peace, Black Mamba, though I still cannot believe it - you went too early! You will always be in our hearts and minds.

18. gcclaker

I'm wondering what the cause was myself... It could mean saving lives using one. Still in shock.

Lakeshow85 and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

league needs to retire 24. change the logo to kobe. something to honor one of the all time greats

can't think of a death like this in recent sports history. ayrton senna and roberto clemente are probably the closest but the magnitude of kobe's death is on another level