Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Kobe Freaking Bryant. This guy is pretty good, I'd say. Incredible. Triple dub.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  2. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

He's also 3rd in assists all time for SGs.

3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    [​IMG]

When Carlos Boozer is your starting PF

TIME, trodgers, Manve77 and 9 others like this.
  4. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

5. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

We won tonight...he had a great game. No question, but my fear is he's going to break down at some point. 67 more games to go...I don't have a good feeling that this is going to end well at all

6. lakerjones

The fortieth best player in the league showing everyone else how it's done.

TIME, therealdeal and Chillbongo like this.
  7. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

Kobe's only gotta play a couple more years so he can become the oldest player to record a triple double. Karl Malone was the oldest when he was on the Lakers.

8. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

A vintage glass of Vino tonight. He made a point of distributing and got the job done in the clutch. Byron says "Kobe is the last of a dying breed." So please don't kill him Byron. Hopefully Byron will work on this. I do feel he should have been out there at overtime though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    lakerjones likes this.
  9. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    Kobe stop being Shaq at the line. We need him to do the damn thing and making freethrows in the clutch is one of them.

therealdeal and Weezy like this.
  10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

But I thought Kobe never passes?
    :rofl:

11. escobar8

escobar8 - Rookie -

Teacher
    This will go down as legendary kobe game...its.amazing what he can do.
    I guess 39 players in the league can make it better :D
    Congrats on the 30-6k

Barnstable likes this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

13. Manve77

Manve77 - Rookie -

Serious business
    Hope to see more games like that from Kobe. Less difficult shots, more open looks. Less desperation 3s from parking lot, more drives and ball-sharing. He still has it...And FG% needs to go up to at least 43% to shut the critics up...)))) Polish these career numbers a bit before entering the HOF and going down into history as the Lakers GOAT!!!

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I want to see more of these games too, but you've got to understand it's unlikely we'll see anything like that again. He shot nearly 50% from the field, had 12 assists and 11 rebounds, had only 2 turnovers on the night, and chipped in a block to boot.

There's only a few other players that can approach a game like that and none of them are 36 years old.

The only player in history to reach 30,000 points and 6,000 assists. Think about that, there's no other player in the history of the NBA to reach those totals. That's unbelievable. That's legendary. The Lakers have two players that are not just All-Time greats, they'll own most of the records when it's all said and done because they did it at a high level longer than anybody else. That is of course Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Kobe Bryant.

It's an amazing accomplishment. I think when Kobe's career is finally over people will have to look at him and realize that maybe he's not Michael Jordan, but being Kobe Bryant is just as special and just as unique.

TIME, lakerjones and Magic Skywalker like this.
  15. Magic Skywalker

Magic Skywalker - Rookie -

What can I say that hasn't been said already. You know, I'm not as old as many guys here who saw all, or at least most of, Jordan's career... I know some of you go way back to the Showtime Lakers... but now I suppose I am able to say I've been around for some time, as I'm about to hit my 20th year watching this league.

I started watching the NBA in the 96-97 season. I was just a little kid living in Chile, a country were basketball isn't really played or talked about a lot. But I was lucky enough to get hooked up to this great sport with just 6 years. Space Jam was a BIG factor, just like for many other children, that really made me a Jordan fan, also Slam Dunk (the anime) was important for me. I'm not from L.A. or even the USA, so this small things are the only ones that were able to get me into the basketball world... I mean, there wasn't even internet at the time. That's when I began watching games in ESPN, and it didn't took much for me to notice the Lakers... that big guy named Shaq and the very young cool guy named Kobe... it might be stupid, but the weird names "Shaquille" and "Kobe" (I really don't know how normal Shaquille is in the US, but I certainly had never heard that name before) was one of the factors that made me want to watch the Lakers.

Since then, I've been watching them day after day, through the good and the bad times, and as of today, the one thing that remains the same is Kobe Bean Bryant. Almost 20 years since then, and I'm still watching him play for the Lakers, and at an incredible level. I can't even begin to describe how lucky I feel because of that. There's not even one player who's been that long with one team right now, and he happens to be an all-time great.

Watching this guy from the times when his name was always next to words like "youngest to", "and he's only xx years old" to now, when it's all "oldest player to" an "he can still do this at xx years old"... I mean, I think that's pretty huge. His not the perfect guy or anything, he's not going to go and sacrifice $10M just so he can make a Big 3 or something. He's a guy who wants to get payed, but wants to work for every single cent he's earning. I honestly can't even imagine how much work he must've put after his Achilles and knee injury, but it must've been very difficult, yet, the guy has never ceased to amaze us. He's just such a hard worker, to levels we've maybe never seen before in the history of this league, maybe sports. It's just not normal. He really is relentless.

He's no Michael Jordan. He's Kobe Bryant, and I wouldn't like it any other way.

jbiggs, BigDan24, Weezy and 5 others like this.
  16. lakerjones

According to BSPN this morning Kobe is the oldest player in history to record a triple double. And not by a small margin. The closest guy is Larry Bird who was a full YEAR younger than Kobe. This is beyond a rarity - it's never happened before, so it was double history making night for the Mamba.

Finally here's some love from BSPN for once!
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400578540

Kobe Bryant shines on milestone night, spurs Lakers to OT win
    Associated Press
    Kobe, Lakers Stun Raptors
    Kobe Bryant recorded the 20th triple-double of his career as the Lakers battled past the Raptors in overtime 129-122.
    Tags: NBA, Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Lakers, Terrence Ross, Kobe Bryant, Kyle Lowry
    VIDEO PLAYLIST [​IMG]

LOS ANGELES -- Kobe Bryant wanted this one badly, especially after missing a clutch free throw in the final minute of regulation. And by the time the Los Angeles Lakers had beaten theToronto Raptors, the 19-year veteran had his 20th career triple-double.

Bryant had 31 points, 11 rebounds and 12 assists and the Lakers snapped a four-game losing streak with a 129-122 overtime victory on Sunday night.

Seven players scored in double figures for the Lakers (4-13), including all five starters. Nick Young added 20 off the bench, Boozer scored 18 and Jordan Hill had 16 points and 12 rebounds.

If The NBA Chiseled A Rushmore...
    [​IMG]It might do well in using the list Kobe Bryant put himself atop with his 31 points, 12 assists and 11 rebounds to become the oldest player to record a 30/10/10 game. By age (years, days):

1. Kobe Bryant 36, 99 Sunday
    2. Larry Bird 35, 99 1992
    3. Elgin Baylor 34, 165 1969
    4. Michael Jordan 34, 56 1997
    -- Elias Sports

"I was just trying to make the right plays," said Bryant, who was three assists off his career high. "The difference is that when the guys make the shots, it makes my job easier because I don't have to force the offense. When they miss them and we go down 12-15 points, I've got to force the issue a little bit to keep us in the ballgame."

Bryant grabbed a missed tip-in attempt by Patrick Patterson with 1:22 left, securing his first triple-double since April 2, 2013 against Dallas.

"Kobe was amazing tonight, man -- dropping dimes to everybody, rebounding, shooting it and being a great playmaker," Boozer said. "When he plays like that, we all get involved. He's amazing every night, but tonight was something special."

Bryant, who came in with a league-best 26.4 scoring average, finished the first half with eight assists -- one more than his season.

"Kobe was playmaking with two people on him and gave us a chance to (score) early," Boozer said. "We were aggressive with the ball, and we just kept going like that throughout the night."

Kyle Lowry had 29 points, nine assists and six rebounds for Toronto before fouling out with 2.8 seconds left in overtime. Terrence Ross had 20 points and Lou Williams added 19 off the bench for the Raptors, whose 13-3 record coming in represented the best start in franchise history.

More from ESPN.com
    [​IMG][​IMG]Kobe Bryant played the role of facilitator all game, surprising the Raptors and leading the unusually balanced Lakers to a win, writes Baxter Holmes. Story

Toronto played without leading scorer DeMar DeRozan, who tore a tendon in his left groin during Friday's 106-102 loss to Dallas and is out indefinitely. Greivis Vasquez made his first start of the season at shooting guard and scored 19 points.

"It's tough when you lose your All-Star guard, but injuries are a big part of the NBA. So you've got to deal with it and adapt," coach Dwane Casey said. "We can't sit around and feel sorry for ourselves. We've got to maintain a work-ethic mentality and find a way to fill that big void."

The Raptors never led in OT. Wesley Johnson put the Lakers ahead for good at 113-110 with a 3-pointer. Bryant followed with a three-point play and then hit a 15-foot jumper. Jeremy Linadded a fastbreak layup for a 120-112 cushion with 1:36 to play.

Toronto led by six with 9:25 left in the fourth quarter after Williams scored eight points in a 1:07 span. But the Lakers pulled ahead 102-101 when Bryant shook off Ross and hit a 17-footer with 3 minutes to go.

Ross hit a 3-pointer to put the Raptors up 109-108, and Bryant made one of two free throws at the other end. Lowry was called for an offensive foul, and Bryant missed a layup in heavy traffic as the fourth quarter expired.

TIP-INS

Raptors: DeRozan, the only player on the team to appear in all 82 games during the 2010-11 and 2012-13 seasons, missed just 10 games over five-plus seasons before his latest injury. ... Toronto was 1 for 11 from 3-point range in the first half and 9 for 34 overall.

Lakers: Bryant made some more history against the Raptors. When he set up Johnson's 12-footer with 8:31 left in the third to become the first player in NBA history with at least 6,000 assists and 30,000 points.

UP NEXT

Raptors: At Sacramento on Tuesday night.

Lakers: At Detroit on Tuesday night.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    therealdeal and TIME like this.
  17. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

@lakerjones Kobe is the oldest to have a 30/10/10 but Karl Malone had the oldest triple double (he was FORTY! when he did it with us against San Antonio 11/28/03).

Still though at 36 years old, regardless of how bad our team is... 30/10/10 (and a block to boot) is just phenomenal.

lakerjones likes this.
  18. lakerjones

Ah, good distinction realdeal, my bad. But still . . . mind-blowing.

therealdeal likes this.
  19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    It does bug me a lot that the media, and this happen after every game Kobe has a lot of assists, asks if he just decided to come out at the start of the game as a facilitator. NO! Kobe just reads what the defense is doing and make the decision on that. The media can't seem to understand that when they are asking Byron about that or Kobe. Each of those guys got at least 3-4 questions about this. It's not rocket science

20. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Kobe is the oldest to record a triple double. Not by age but by NBA seasons played. I believe he beat Karl by few days :).

lakerjones likes this.