Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Guys I'm still tearing up reading these. I couldn't stop crying the weirdest tears last night. :D

It really was a magical, magical moment. I mean we watching Kobe all year and I thought for SURE he literally could not do these things anymore. I thought FOR SURE that he would try to get shoot for 40 points, but his arm would fall off and he'd never get there... I don't know why I doubted the man. You'd think after 20 years you'd learn the lesson, right?

I can't even put into words exactly what this game means. It's nearly the perfect way to end his career, but it's also damn near the perfect way to jump start our next venture as well.

I love that man. I love what he did for us as a player. I love that he gave us 20 years of jaw dropping basketball. More than anything I love that he gave every last bit of energy he had in his body to provide us with something we've never seen before. Last night was something you remember forever. The kind of game you tell your kids and grandkids about. It was the kind of game you can learn from just by seeing the heart he left out there. Incredible.

Thank you Kobe.

Weezy, raviator, TIME and 10 others like this.
  2. VinMillerHearn24

VinMillerHearn24 - Rookie -

The song ESPN kept playing last night was actually fitting.

Weezy and RasAlgethi like this.
  3. Exonyte

Exonyte - Rookie -

Yep, cannot emphasize enough how absolutely perfect this ending was for him. I think we, as laker fans, really needed to see him go out on this high of a note after seeing him suffer the last 3 years. Very, very satisfying finish.

Seeing him huff and puff violently, giving every ounce of energy, was literally like seeing an old legendary warrior fighting to the death in his last battle

4. Magic Skywalker

Magic Skywalker - Rookie -

It's funny how people say "nobody played defense on him"... I won't say the Jazz were the 2004 Pistons or something like that, but I think they actually played very decent defense.

If anything, I can understand detractors saying "he shot 50 shots!", because, well, yeah, 50 shots is a lot. I'll give them that. It took Kobe a lot of shots, but he did something that was simply out of this world... he's 37 years old. Kobe received a normal defense because, well, he wasn't 2006 Kobe, he was an injured old very experienced player. You can't leave Kobe alone, but you can't just go and double team him. Kobe played okay through most of the game carrying us (this time, I won't blame teammates because it was our plan for being his last game) but the Jazz were being better because they have a better team and where doing a good job on a Kobe that was the complete offense of the team... Who in the world would've expected Kobe to go completely nuts in that final quarter, especially those final 3 minutes where he just did everything, he made a 10 point deficit into a 5 point lead in no time. Everyone was talking about a "possible" 50 point game, and suddenly, about a minute afterwards he was suddenly aiming for 60.

Oh... yeah, and we kinda won the game, didn't we? We won the game with Kobe scoring 60% of our points, didn't we? We won the game with Kobe shooting 50 out of 85 shots from our team, didn't we? ISN'T EXACTLY THAT WHAT "CARRYING YOUR TEAM" IS? Kobe won the game by himself like he did many times in the past. Sure, he was less efficient, but he really, pretty much won the game by himself... being 37 years old, having played 20 seasons with more injuries that I can even remember... Now that's greatness. That's legendary, and absolutely unprecedented. He shot 50 times, so what? Lakers won, he took over and turned the tables on a game that was pretty much lost.

These have been some really tough years for Kobe where he hasn't been a shade of himself, but he retired in his own terms. He didn't go because of the Achilles. With this game he proved he was retiring because he WANTED.

5. Jazzygirl205

Jazzygirl205 - Rookie -

What was awesome is seeing he and Shaq mend their relationship. I didn't expect him to come at all, but it made me really happy to see him cheer him on.

People focused so much on stats that they miss out on other aspects. Like their fundamentals, footwork, skill set, craft, instincts, drive and focus. Kobe is unmatched in those categories.

SirJunkyBen, Weezy, raviator and 6 others like this.
  6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I think we need to give Tarik Black a lot of credit for last night as well. That block that led to the Nance dunk was the catalyst for the final push. Before that we had been getting close, they'd pull away. We'd get close. They'd pull away again. But after that block, the momentum went COMPLETELY in our favor. Kobe's final game, and all this magic would not have happened without that block.

SirJunkyBen, Weezy, raviator and 12 others like this.
  7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

8. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    this x 100. the way he went out (on his own terms mind you) is really the only way i think i would have been ok today. it gave me such a lift. i feel so happy for him too and it was great to see that if wanted to keep playing he could, but its just that time.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  9. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

You're lucky. I decided to start standing in line at that time :D ... and nice jersey. I got a lot of props for my MPLS jersey yesterday :D

I'm gonna upload some stuff when I'm back home!

Attached Files:

Weezy, therealdeal, jbiggs and 3 others like this.
  10. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Weezy, therealdeal, TIME and 3 others like this.
  11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

So uhhhhh, where's his sweet spot? The whole court?

12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Someone made spoofs of the muppet commercials?

EDIT: NSFW - TIME

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2016
  13. sirronstuff

14. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

did anyone else get pumped at the screens Julius was setting for Kobe? he was setting screens like a tank. it's what we've wanted all year and last night he set those screens to get Kobe open with a purpose.

15. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Father Time might be undefeated, but Kobe gave him one helluva final round.

Split decision?

16. sirronstuff

17. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

If it wasn't Kobe's last game, he would get called for a foul more than a few times. League is SOFT now :(.

18. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
  19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    So very satisfying.

Weezy, lakerjones, John3:16 and 2 others like this.
  20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I love this thread title. Last night was an absolutely legendary way for a legend to go out. To me, it was transcendent. It went beyond sports and felt like an artistic statement, a monumental performance that left us questioning what is possible. It was Kobe's ultimate mind over matter moment. Like a fakir demonstrating yogic powers, in this case a broken down body with a surgically repaired achilles tendon (the death knoll for all pro athletes), a surgically repaired rotator cuff, fingers that are mangled, a knee that is bone on bone . . . and with an unfathomable and indomitable will and 20 years of meditation and focus he lifted all of us for one breathtaking final feat. It was glorious. It was one to defeat death. He cheated father time for one last surreal showing of his true nature.

That was spiritual out there folks. That was Beethoven producing his final masterpiece the 9th Symphony for us when he's deaf! It was an artistic moment that showed us so much more than what we ever thought was possible. That's the magic - doing the seemingly impossible right in front of our eyes. He dug so deeply to get there. To me, this is was my Number One Kobe memory that I'll take with me to my grave. It was the ultimate ending for the greatest warrior I've ever seen on the court. It wasn't hyperbole when he said it took everything in his soul to do it. This one was a last parting gift for all of us: the die hards, the haters and the believers alike.

The basketball gods are pleased and proud today.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    SamsonMiodek, Weezy, TIME and 8 others like this.