Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    In terms of talent or performance?

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think what he was focused on was when they were all playing and healthy, we were a very fortunate team to have that rotation. It was freaking awesome, and I think all of us wishes that window was extended.

Unfortunately Pau's mileage was catching up to his absurd annual offseason International bball commitments, and he started to slow. Phil was pushing big minutes too. Bynum was at the top when healthy, but like you said, wasn't often enough. Our three bigs when healthy were talented, mostly team oriented, skilled, and very fun to watch.

Juronimo and gcclaker like this.
  3. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I totally agree with that - but think about how much time those guys missed. Bynum alone was unavailable for more of his playing career than he was available. Now, having Gasol and Bynum healthy together was an absurd luxury, but we didn't often have that - and never in the playoffs that I can recall.

4. sirronstuff

Odom was often closing the game with Pau too. Both were very versatile and great passers.

gcclaker likes this.
  5. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Well these are your own words:

Sounds like downplaying to me.

6. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

The Bynum situation was both good and bad. Prior to the Gasol acquisition, he was on a tear of nightly double-doubles. Then the first Memphis injury happened. When he was re-establishing himself again with momentum, then 24 falls on his leg. I had no doubt Bynum would have been a force save those freakish injuries. Howard may have been more athletic but Bynum had a more balanced game. Not an albatross at the charity stripe, had a mean streak and was no clown on the floor.

As far as he, Odom and Gasol being main components of 24's supporting cast, they were the perfect fit mentally for him. None were alpha males that had superstar written on them. None would challenge him for authority, shots and territory. Compliant, professional and team-oriented group much like the Jordan's in the 90's. Easy for Jackson to manage. It helped that Odom was a locker room glue along with Fisher.

Did 24 make them better? Not really as individual players. All of them had varying skill sets that presented match-up problems to defenses. It was much more in a way that trio played their roles and responsibilities perfectly in the Tri. Their games were a smooth complement to his. 24 merely expected them to fulfill what they were supposed to provide and elevate to match his intensity. 24 was the pressure valve in tight situations that they all depended on and were content to do so.

shoe and Juronimo like this.
  7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Finesse and footwork vs strength and athleticism.

sirronstuff, John3:16, shoe and 2 others like this.
  8. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Body made of granite and hands of stone, such traits aren't made for basketball but statues alone...

10. alam1108

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

lakerjones likes this.
  12. alam1108

13. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Kobe said his favorite moment from last nights game was seeing Sasha. He remembers him joining the Lakers, looking 12 years old and not really knowing how to succeed in the NBA. Said all the talks on the bus paid off because here he is as an NBA vet.

Weezy, alam1108, TIME and 4 others like this.
  14. alam1108

But Kobe doesn't make his teammates better!!

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  15. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

Kobe always had time for Sasha. It was the euro-connection plus the confidence he had (don't remember any Radmanovic connection, but there sure was a Gasol connection). And let's not forget the ultimate Phil gesture was him having faith in Sasha against Boston to win the ring with Sasha icing the opportunity. Kobe liked the harder you went at him. Sasha didn't always pay dividends on the court but he sure was Kobe's pal just like those youtube machine videos were documentaries.

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

17. GoldenKnight

GoldenKnight - Rookie -

Only 15 games left of this man's historic career.

[​IMG]

18. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

It's just incredible what this man has given to us fans and to the franchise. All time legend.

End of an era for sure. But I am very heartened by what I see in our young core and I think Kobe is, too.

19. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I have slowly been preparing myself for his impending retirement. This year has been different; the tour has been a nice gesture to see for an all-time great. He's earned his paycheck, though; at the very least, he's still a crowd attraction and he has kept the Lakers somewhat relevant during this historic disaster of a season.

The year we had Nash, Dwight, and Pau (2012); I nearly watched every game. He dragged us to the PO's with this outstanding performances. Earlier that season, while we were such fighting for our playoff lives, Kobe guaranteed we'd make the PO's. He delivered. What's so interesting about that year is my sudden increase in urgency to not miss a game; I was very emotionally invested and probably just as much as our championship runs. This was just the regular season. I'm glad I was because that was the last time I witnessed Kobe's greatness for an entire season.

Certainly, he has had moments the past three years; although, they are far and few between, though, but I have to appreciate those moments even more because they are rare and you don't know if you'll ever get to see 24 dominate on the floor like that ever again. In retrospect, I'm happy for the memories and truly not only admire the basketball player but admire the person, and it's certainly been a pleasure not only watching his game evolve over the years but watching and witnessing him evolve as a person.

It's certainly been a great run as we draw closer to the finale.

20. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

^24 is one of those once in a generation type player... I must admit that at times I took his greatness for granted cheering for the likes of Odom and Ariza instead but yes it was special watching him throughout his career. It does pain me to see 24 labor through a game with just flickering reminders of what he once was. Unable to get by defenders or elevate over them instead settling for perimeter shots. He is at peace with his decision and reminds me of how Erving handled his last season...being an ambassador as well as doling out advice to all players for the sake of the game.

15 more till we say thank you.