Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Kobe can't control this s*** all around him, and I'm sure he sees no place to be the ahole to call out the FO or the coach. They just paid him 50 mil to shut his pie hole and return the loyalty they've given him.

Besides when things get so bad and you have no shot at winning, sometimes all you can do is laugh. If I'm not cursing about the situation, I'm laughing about how bad it is.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Clarkson looked him off a few times in the second half.

#progress

4. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Darrius Morris calls Kobe the GOAT (and criticizes Byron):

therealdeal likes this.
  5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I was saying this a week ago and some people got on me.

6. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I understand that Kobe isn't what he used to be.

But then again...why doesn't he understand that if you only make 30% of your shots, you should reduce your attempts. The only thing I'm struggling to understand is why he keeps gunning bricks with no regard to human life. Its not like its working. He can shoot 1 of 5...but shooting 3-16 like regularly is just stupid basketball, sorry.

lakerjones and Kenzo like this.
  7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ This. Well said, KB24.

Take last night's game as an example. For whatever reason, he decided to play like we've been wanting him to play all freaking year. He took only 16 shots as opposed to 20 something. Most of the shots were mid-range. He only shot 4 three pointers versus the double digit attempts he's been doing most of his outings. Guess what? He made 25% of his threes, and went 7 for 12 on the rest of the mid-range and closer variety.

As a result we were in this game for 3 and a half quarters instead of getting blown the hell out.

No team that I know of can survive a guy chucking 20 plus shots a game at a 30% average when he's playing 35 minutes a game. It's not a recipe for success.

To me this had so much more to do with staying competitive last night than benching the kids.

gcclaker likes this.
  8. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

This is true, but sadly, Byron is probably thinking his lineup change made us more competitive and that he is some sort of genius.

lakerjones likes this.
  9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I'm really surprised at the amount of hate directed at Kobe. Laughing with the other team has nothing to do with not caring. Just because he's shooting like crap doesn't mean he's not competing. He's put in a lot of work for this comeback and he's still fighting father time every day, icing his knees/shoulders and trying to figure out ways to keep his legs fresh. How is that not competing?

Remember, MJ told Kobe to enjoy the season and to have no one take that away from him. He's an injury away from never playing professionally again, so I understand why he has become more social with his opponents. Don't confuse that with not caring.

trodgers and Lakers2015 like this.
  10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Ah that word again, "hate". Legit criticism and concern for team future equals "hate" when it's Kobe. His "F it" play has done this, the fans haven't turned on him, we want him to play smarter because we know he can. I think in the long run Kobe would get to use Jordan's advice of enjoying every minute of this more, if his minutes were reduced and he wasn't shooting so much. Because at this rate, he will go down with an injury, where if he scales it back some, maybe he makes it to the end of the season.

I find this more sad than anything. You'd think we'd be appreciating Kobe's last year, but his play has soured us to it and is not allowing us to do this. You'd think we'd be posting and talking about the tributes he's getting from opposing teams, or his quality post game pressers, but we are so down on his play and losing that we seem to not care, I know I don't very much. This is half on B0ron at least too, for playing him too much and enabling him to play however he likes. It's not hate to fear for how his play will hurt this team going forward though, to wonder if some of our young guys are being set back a season.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Exonyte, therealdeal and lakerjones like this.
  11. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah I couldn't agree more. It's really amazing to me the level of hate being directed towards one of the greatest of all time. I don't love the way he's playing either. He's taken a lot of bad shots this season, but I wouldn't question the guy's effort. He's taken it all in clearly because this is his last go around. He wants to make the most of it because this is the final chapter for his career. I see no issue with doing that. Kobe is as dedicated and detrimented and committed an athlete as we've ever seen. Saying he doesn't care is utterly ridiculous. Guys who don't care don't keep trying to rehab and get their bodies right and prepared in the summer and still keep coming back even after you've accomplished all that really an NBA player could hope to accomplish. He's had as amazing a career as anyone who has ever played this game. He's smiling and laughing on the court in his last season in the NBA so what? If he didn't give a damn he wouldn't be trying to talk to the young guys and and being like another coach like he has on the court as well as when he's on the bench. The level of hate coming towards argurably the best player of all time that played for the Lakers is quite frankly embarassing. This season has been a nightmare enough and the last few really and now we have fans turning on Kobe. It's really sad man.

trodgers and tada like this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

This isn't even the same Kobe we enjoyed for 19 years. This is some old guy who is more focused on his own farewell tour than the team's well-being. He's putting his own play before the team even now. That's on him and on Byron for not controlling him in the first place.

I made the comparison to a spoiled only child a while back. I think it still fits.

lakerjones, lakersyunowin and Exonyte like this.
  13. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

This fanfare before every game is getting tiresome. Did even Jordan get this treatment? I don't recall that he did.

If you want to do it, maybe do it at the end of the game.

Weezy likes this.
  14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I see the same Kobe with physical limitations. He's always been about getting his. That's what made him great.

15. therealdeal

No what made him great was continuing to be great despite his limitations. Now his limitations are greater than ever before, but he's made no adjustment to his play.

16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

How do you think Kobe is wired?

1. OK I've been shooting like crap so I need to give in to father time and take less shots.
    2. I've been shooting like crap but I'm going to fight through this slump and help our team win.

He's always been competitive with himself. He's not going to succumb to this challenge.

17. therealdeal

Jesus man. It's not a challenge to succumb to. It's playing smart. Clearly this argument is going to go nowhere though because you think he is capable of recovery.

The truth is:
    1. He is physically incapable of doing almost all of the things we remember him doing (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html).
    2. His heart is no longer in basketball ("I don't want to get zen on you, but when I'm meditating it doesn't drift to basketball anymore").
    3. HE DOESN'T WANT TO DO THIS ANYMORE ("I don't want to do this anymore")

This is NOT the same Kobe Bryant that willed his team to the playoffs. This is NOT the same Kobe Bryant that took us to 7 Finals appearances. This is an old man who is stubbornly hi-jacking this season for his own benefit while costing us time/effort for our young pieces.

I am a fan of Kobe Bryant for what he's done for us. That doesn't mean I have to be blind to what he's doing right now.

18. Weezy

There's a difference between shooting like crap and shooting crappy shots. What got him here has been "F it" threes and shooting with defenders all over him. Taking threes out of the offense, not even open, just because he can. He's taken threes, missed, had the ball bounce back to him, and immediately taken another one. He's had decent looks at a 2 and then ran to the 3 point line, checked that his feet were behind it, and launched. That's bad basketball, and I don't like calling it what it is being labeled as hate and seeing excuses being made for it. It was one thing to see excuses made for it years ago when it wasn't nearly as bad and when Kobe could actually make the shots, but now? See this for what it is, this is not Kobe playing the same as he always has, or playing smart in any way.

In the past when people have complained about him he at least tried to adjust, he changed his game to show that he could, and it has worked at times. One time it got him an MVP, another it helped swing our season a bit during one of the 'Antoni/Dwight years. I'd at least like to see some of that, a little acknowledgment that this isn't working and he isn't going to do it all season. He isn't though, and that's where a lot of the "doesn't care" comments are coming from. Oh well, at least he finally shot 50% yesterday and didn't have a bad game really.

19. Weezy

Shoot, I didn't even need to comment I could have just quoted this. This, a thousand times this. This isn't a challenge, he's done and he's said as much. What would help is to actually play like he knows some of his physical limitations before his body craps out for good.

Juronimo, lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  20. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

@therealdeal I know this is not the same Kobe. I'm not blind.

However, he's shown glimpses of playing like old-MJ. Like the 2 consecutive jumpshots he made last night or the 2 clutch baskets 2 games prior. Then it's like someone hits the OFF switch and he has no legs. Honestly he's not shooting like crap throughout the game. It's a ON-OFF situation. And in my opinion the ON mode is becoming more frequent lately. So there is hope and I want him to keep fighting through this.