Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I believe the issue is these are the shots he's been taking and making his entire career. So, he thinks these are his shots and they should go down like they always have. Problem is this is year 20, he doesn't elevate like he used to, and almost everyone guarding him is more athletic than he is now. Have to evolve at this point, and I don't think he realizes that, or possibly that he even can.

ElginTheGreat and Barnstable like this.
  3. Exonyte

Exonyte - Rookie -

Love looking back at kobe's highlights from the 2012-2013 season. Dude was a monster even at that age. That damn achilles injury slowed him down so much, he was blazing fast even in that 17th season

4. The Original 81

The Original 81 - Rookie -

Yep, the achilles is playing a major role here. He's never been the same since and he was shocking everyone with his play that year.

Exonyte likes this.
  5. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

The last season Kobe was a decent three points shooter was during the 2008-2009 season .

There was no reason for him to keep chucking 4 to 5 threes a game until this season and there is no definetely no reason to shoot 29 times from downtown in this young season .

Yes it is a three points league for several seasons but lots of players/teams forget the majority of these shots have to come from penetration or double teams .

The only player who can and should shoot a major number of contested 3s in the entire league is Curry

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Like the Enterprise Kobe "has given all his got" and time to hang it up. No shame in retiring after a wonderful career.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Kobe has always taken bad shots. He has always gotten a free pass because he makes his fair share of them, and so the rules basically didn't apply to him.

Well, those shots are not going down now, so it's hard to see human Kobe suck like this.

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  8. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I thought he had a good game last night. Mostly high percentage shots with good balance to his offense. And I really like his defensive effort.

9. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    seems like he is done...sadly, it didn't have to come this far. I would have prefered if he had retired after the achillis injury...now he is embarassing himself.

I admire his will but that can't buy us anything right now.

fabulus likes this.
  10. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

11. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Man why did it have to be Kobe? WHY? Speaking of the Achilles injury. A guy who has given so much to this game and the league. Dude was tearing it up. Playing like it was 2009. Stupid a** MDA. How do you play a dude who has been in the league since he was nineteen and into May or June every year in his career? What a f***ing moron. Ruined the career of one of the best players ever. A legend.

12. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

To be fair :

13. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

Just wondering what'she the best exit for him now? Call it quits at the beginning of the season or play through the season as a role player in any capacity that can help the team? Problem is he doesn't seem to be an effective role player right now.

14. The Original 81

The Original 81 - Rookie -

Pretty telling. This is unprecedented territory, and father time is undefeated. Kobe's put up a heck of a fight but this just might be too much to overcome.

lakerjones likes this.
  15. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Is that you Jellybean Bryant? Lol..... JK

Exonyte and tada like this.
  16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

The annoying part to me is that health-wise he looks better than I expected. Right now for me it isn't as much about father time as it is Kobe himself. He needs to see that chucking isn't working and play a smarter game. It's still in his control to do so. He's not so beat up that he can't play. It's that he's not playing the right way. Also, and you can flame me if you want, I think Byron should sub MWP in for some of Kobe's minutes. Bring some D and a different energy in with the starters. Just for spot minutes, maybe 6-10 per game. I'd scale Kobe back a little as some of what he's doing on both ends is hurting us.

17. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The ONLY thing I'm seeing from him that's been utterly unexpected and is completely unacceptable is his high volume of three pointers. Take away the threes, give him more mid-range/mid-post shots, and make him move the ball a little more and guess what? He looks freaking fine! Done?? What Kobe are you guys watching?

He looks exactly like a SG version of Dirk right now except he's not playing nearly as smart as Dirk does. He's beating his head against the three point line instead of just taking a step or two in. That's half on him and half on Byron for not putting him in the right spots. I'm frustrated beyond belief at both him and Byron, but done? Hell no. He doesn't look nearly done to me.

18. Lakers2015

If we had an actual offensive system I truly believe Kobe could still average at least 20, 5, and 5 at 47/48 percent shooting. No he doesn't have as much elevation and doesn't have a quick first step anymore, but the guy can still score. His strength, his footwork, his vet savy, and can still draw fouls. If we put the ball in D'Angelo's hands he'd be getting the ball in his sweet spots.

19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I've definitely come down off the 20/5/5 line, but I think 20 points and 5 rebounds isn't expecting too much from him at this point. Maybe a few less points. I just don't see him averaging that many assists anymore.

20. Lakers2015

Didn't even think of that for some reason. With an actual system and Russell handling the ball obviously Kobe's assists would be down. He's only averaging two right now even while handling the ball quite a bit.

therealdeal likes this.