Kobe Bryant Discussion: Mamba Out!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Really not a fan of Baxter Holmes, yet another ESPN LA guy that doesn't like the Lakers and probably hates Kobe. I can't disagree with a lot of what he said though. Love Kobe, but he's old, I am assuming this is his last season and then we need to probably move on, use big money for big current stars, not Kobe. Let the young guys develop alone, or with a new star.

What I don't agree with is him saying dumb things like Kobe already taking over in preseason. He's barely shot the ball by Kobe standards so far, in game one he wasn't even calling for the ball, and he was playing playmaker at one point last night, he was fine. Also this part

"At this point in his career, Bryant's presence on the court hurts the Lakers more than it helps. But off the court, he still has the impact of a superstar."

We know his presence on the court hurts more than helps now after 2 preseason games with teammates he's mostly never played with? Uh..ok, talk out of your a** much? His presence on the court this season could be great this season, we have no idea yet. Push him out the door after the season, but during the season, let us enjoy it, this is probably the last time we see this all time great on the court. I guess an ESPN hater can't really get that though.

2. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Not homerism at all but this is obvious Kobe-hate. There isn't one bit of that that tries to see any good in Kobe at all. All the good Phil has said about Kobe, especially post-25 years old Kobe, and he only quotes a negative blurb from his book. Now there may indeed be some benefit to both the Lakers and Kobe if he walks off in the sunset after this season, but if you have to make that point by writing an article that defamates Kobe so badly that if someone new to the NBA were to read it they would think he is just a cancer that never did anything good career-wise or helped anyone, pack it up.

Really, If you can't find something good about a player that won 5 championships and will retire 3rd in all-time scoring you need to step back from the keyboard, take a look at yourself as a journalist and decide if you want to write with integrity or just be a sensationalist.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

You'd think it possibly being Kobe's last year he would garner more respect.

5. sirronstuff

Doesn't get clicks

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Holy crap what a hit piece, that was disgusting. Couldn't finish. And nice to throw in that Philip, again with the back stab in his next book after The Last Season.....Eleven Rings ..... taking another gratuitous shot at Kobe. Kobe was a major part of 5 of your rings, Phil. Just like Jordan with the other 6. Enjoy those 11 because you're not sniffing another with the Knicks, no matter how much zen and smugness you possess. I didn't realize he had once again shown Kobe in a bad light in the next book. I thought the story was he felt bad about what he had done in the first book and that was part of the motivation coming back to make it right with Kobe because he knew he hadn't been fair with him while placating Shaq.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  7. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Even if you leave out his entire career... He certainly was not a net negative out there in the last game (haven't seen the first one so can't really judge). He may even have been pretty bad the last season, it was literally painful to see him throw brick after brick and don't even try on defense. But he too seems rejuvenated and "good" at the very least. If Kobe plays for the entire season the way he did yesterday, I don't see how anyone not being a total hater could not be... well... impressed actually.

I have had my fears that Kobe won't allow the young players to take over in difficult situations and will continue to shoot 20+ Times a game. So far I haven't seen any of that. How he plays when the season starts remains to be seen, but can we please just enjoy the final season of one of the greatest ever? I assumed there would be a little more love from the media coming his way in these circumstances, I hope this "article" is not an indication of more such garbage to come.

shoe, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

good post, alcindor. it's actually sad where sports journalism has gone, in general. half of these guys are poor writers, and most of them think fact-gathering and objectivity are not part of the job description.

i actually blame simmons to some degree for the latter issues, though i suppose the internet made that inevitable, and he was just the first to really cash in huge.

guys like ford and hollinger became media superstars in this age--that would never have happened 30 years ago.

LTLakerFan, TIME and sirronstuff like this.
  9. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

If Kobe can show he can play a lesser role, be more efficient, and play within the confines of the offense then I think it would be foolish to just tell him he's gotta go. I understand at some point the Lakers have to move on, but to me that shouldn't happen till the guy can't play anymore. Look at a team like San Antonio. They've kept Tim Duncan on board. They've kept his minutes down, limited his workload throughout the season, and he's been able to stay healthy and fresh. That's what the Lakers need to do with Kobe. He's already said he wants initating the offense and would love to play off the ball. We shall see if that holds true. Not having to be that guy anymore that makes all the plays as well at shooting over two or three guys late in the shot clock should improve his efficiency. He's gotta be willing to take a step back and allow the young guards to set him up and get him higher percentage looks.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. sirronstuff

I think when Kobe is done this year, this is what will happen.....

[​IMG]

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Think so? I think Kobe plays 50 plus games if we're lucky, he realizes his body can't handle it, and the Lakers don't have to mention a thing...Kobe will just walk off on his own without any intervention at all from the Lakers organization influencing his decisions one way or the other. Unfortunately, old-age, mileage, and the Achilles started a downward trajectory of one of the top 10 players of all time.

That said, let him rock with the Olympic team and go out with a Gold Medal...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  12. sirronstuff

I think he plays 70 games, avg's 20 points and plays solid D in about 30 min a game, and is rejuvenated by the lighter load and quality youngins to help lead. I think if he remains healthy, he's going to have a hard time walking away.

13. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Oh, how I hope this plays out.

14. sirronstuff

I also think he'd now be willing to take a very reasonable contract to help the Lakers land a big fish. I truly do.

:Trophy::Trophy::Trophy::Trophy::Trophy: + :Trophy:

LTLakerFan and SamsonMiodek like this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Those are very high expectations. I'd love that. Do I see it happening? Probably not. We have a total of 18 back-to-backs. It's been reported that Kobe will most likely sit out those back-to-backs. That's 18 games missed putting him at 62. He felt great last year at this time. Then around mid to the beginning of December he started breaking down, and it wasn't even his shoulder; it was his legs that started giving out. Was that due to playing too many minutes? Yeah, and old age. If we manage him correctly, he'll give us 60 games, IMO.

He'll always score. I hope he does it efficiently this season. Solid D? Kobe hasn't been played solid defense in years. I don't mean to sound negative, but after three consecutive season ending injuries, I'm just a lot more cautions about my expectations I place on the Mamba.

lakerjones likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

I admit I'm wearing these [​IMG]

I'd like to see the Cal Ripken, Derek Jeter, John Elway kind of ending for Kobe though.

I'm a fan, I'm not rational. I stayed up till 3:00 AM to watch a freakin' preseason game. :Laugh:

17. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

It will be difficult, but we'll see.

Entirely possible.

Alright, let's not go overboard now. :No:

18. sirronstuff

:kobetabernak: Don't burst my bubble tell me unicorns and happy endings don't exist!

lakerjones likes this.
  19. sirronstuff

Besides that's what young legs around him and Hibbert are for

He'll set them up and make offense easier, and they'll cover weaknesses on D

20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

TIME, LTLakerFan and LaVarBallsDad like this.