Kevin Durant Thread: Is A New Snake Destined For LA?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken, a partial tear is usually non-surgical and heals on it's own, like a sprained knee.

Big Mamma Jamma and tada like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Problem with tendons is on their own they do not get much blood supply so takes much longer. Correct me if wrong but pretty sure on this.

3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

This is really interesting cause it's based on theory that a strong calf contraction would rip the Achilles tendon. So if KD was battling a calf strain, then his weakened calf wouldn't generate enough of a forceful muscle contraction to rupture the tendon.

However the dubs med staff labeled it as a mild strain initially. Yet it took about a month for KD to attempt a comeback and even Kerr confirmed that the injury was more severe than initially thought out to be.

I haven't been following the playoffs religiously, but the way KD iced his calf (lower portion toward the heel) during his month long recovery (which is not normal for an isolated calf injury) and the way his initial injury was a non-contact event:

...those optics at least are the indicative of an Achilles injury (partial tear).

It's really hard to pick up a partial tear on imaging, but @LTLakerFan is right, blood supply is limited and it would take months of therapy and medication for a partial tear to self-resolve without surgery.

We now know it took KD a month to return and it's obvious he rushed back. A great med staff would weigh the risk vs reward aspect and push for KD not to rush back. For as much as our med staff/UCLA Health is criticized for not employing preventive injury measures, they should be applauded for not rushing back our players.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Bite me

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Jerk. Where's a mod when you need em?

:Laugh: