Keep Ryan West... Who Thinks This Is A Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LTLakerFan, Jul 3, 2016.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

In spite of a "remarkably good" FA season so far there are still rumblings of spring house cleaning for the whole FO including Mitch. And bring in hot prospect from wherever. Noooo!!! Are we kidding??? Phil Jackson ran Jerry West out of here point blank, from Phil near immediately dating Jeanie to him allegedly telling the Logo himself to GTFO of his locker room one halftime.

Ryan West is the heir in waiting. Grew up in the Lakers family under the freaking Logo and then the Logo's long tutored assistant Mitch.

Ryan picked up and drove 17 year old Kobe Bryant to the mythical Kobe / West 15 minute workout and was there as well. He was with the organization formally just guessing even prior to that.

Ryan at some point has to be the heir when Mitch says I'm done, like Kobe a couple months into this season said to Byron after a game, ("whatever.... this is my last season") .... probably in a vacuum from some posts here .... Mitch doesn't do that until the time is right for Ryan. My guess. My hope.

Does anyone not believe that if he were to have any doubts on a franchise altering decision going forward that if needed ..... Ryan calls his dad, the LOGO for some good advice in his young career..... and gets it?

The whole point being when any of us are thinking about cleaning FO house, whatever that would even look like....... don't do anything that has a chance of losing our new Jerry/Ryan West to another team. Cannot cavalierly bring someone new in to be GM over him in our purge the FO with tar and feathers point of view.

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  2. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

I'm all for promoting Ryan West. Like you said is influenced by his father who is a legend. He was one of the driving forces behind us getting JC so he clearly knows how to find talent. He's obviously done enough to get a promotion and if they feel like he's that next guy after Mitch then that means he's ready.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

If you can find anyone who says "get rid of Ryan West" then you've found a Laker fan that's not plugged in.

Getting rid of Mitch has nothing to do with Ryan West and Ryan West probably won't be ready to take over for a while. Fire Mitch, bring in another GM for 5-10 years while Ryan studies directly under him, then promote Ryan when he's ready.

alam1108 and John3:16 like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

Good. You realize then you can't just fire Mitch maybe before it's time and bring in some new hot shot assistant GM and make Ryan an assistant. Guarantee he will be gone within one year. Not really addressing this to you. Just saying you can't fire Mitch pre-maturely unless you are prepared to make Ryan the GM. Or he will be gone and how inconceivably stupid would that be for the franchise?

5. Lakers2015

I guess you're right. If it takes one more year to make Ryan the GM and the Lakers feel like the one more year is what he needs to get ready for this job as the GM of the Los Angeles Lakers and they feel 100 percent confident that he is the correct heir to Mitch then I'm all for it. I feel very confident that he's the man for the job, but it doesn't matter what I think. It matters what the Lakers think.

6. therealdeal

Why are you assuming Ryan West and Mitch Kupchak are joined at the hip? That's a leap that doesn't really have any basis in reality. We have no idea the relationship between the two. They could be bosom buddies or they could really not care much for each other. Their professional relationship might have (and probably does have) nothing to do with their personal relationship.

What if Ryan isn't ready for 5 years? 10 years? How long is Mitch supposed to be GM?

7. LTLakerFan

Shirley you cannot be serious!!! That is the whole point of why I made this a thread all its own. You bring in someone at this point after all these years and the grooming of Ryan West now to be his boss for another 5-10 years? Ryan West is going to wait 5-10 years. Please, sorry, forgive me, don't mean to bait or be inflammatory.....but LMFAO. Just like Luuuuuke would have waited 5-10 years.

abeer3 likes this.
  8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

ryan west should be the next GM of the lakers

he's proven he can find talent. letting him learn under mitch a little longer and then promoting him to GM while also promoting mitch to team president should be the next move

TIME and abeer3 like this.
  9. Lakers2015

West has already been around for nearly a decade since 2009. I highly doubt it'll take him ten years. He sure all won't wait around for that opportunity. Someone else will get him. He needs a year or two at most.

10. LTLakerFan

What if he's the next Jerry West with Pop's help in the background if needed after a lifetime of sharing while Jerry was being Jerry? You'd cavalierly take that risk that Ryan would hang around 5-10 years?

Would you have been pissed if Jim and Mitch thought they better wait a year to see if Luke got any better coaching and then he got hired by the Rockets instead of D'Antoni? It's exactly the same decision that is strategic going forward and needs to be made without f****** it up as is the flavor of the day so often talking about Jim and Mitch and the front office.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  11. therealdeal

Do you know Ryan personally? How do you know if he's ready or not or how long it will take? Right now Ryan isn't even the Assistant GM. Do you know that? He's the Director of Player Personnel. Don't you think he should be sitting next to Mitch learning the tricks of the trade before he's allowed to take over?

Mitch Kupchak retired and became Jerry West's Assistant GM in 1986 and it wasn't until 2000 when he took full control of the position. That's a full 10 years older than Ryan is right now.

I want Ryan to be the next GM, but not until he knows what he's doing and he's a ways removed from that.

You keep acting like it's a foregone conclusion he'll leave if he's not promoted immediately. Unless you're happy and prepared for Mitch to be here another 5-10 years or you're already ready for Ryan to take the reins when he's had no training for that job, then somebody else needs to be able to step in and do the job for a while. I don't see why that's so crazy. He's not even Assistant GM yet. He better wait however long it takes until he learns the position. It took Mitch 14 years.

D-Fish Man likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

a) i wouldn't fire mitch if jimmy stepped aside
    b) i agree that i wouldn't hire away another gm before giving west a shot at the job

JSM and TIME like this.
  13. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

My guess is eventually Jesse takes over player personal/owner and Ryan succeeds mitch when mitch retires.

14. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I wouldn't get rid of Mitch till I was sure Ryan was ready or it looked like he might go somewhere else. I'm in no hurry to get rid of Mitch but I had rather Ryan have OJT rather than lose the guy that is going to be our GM for twenty years. Not sure why but a good GM seems to be as hard to find as a legit superstar, maybe harder. Keep Mitch till Ryan is ready.

LTLakerFan and TIME like this.
  15. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Agree...keep Ryan West as much as possible. Let him ascend to General Manager as he gradually develops the aptitude and awareness for it not that he presumably doesn't have it now. He will need to learn the nuances of the position so will need to be groomed by Kupchak. A good five years maybe...

The franchise is in dire need of a make-over in the front office too. We need individuals not tied to the past and using it as a crutch but the kind of decision makers in tune with the present.

16. LTLakerFan

But hey, I have read articles saying Ryan has been an office (like "gym") rat already for years under Mitch once Jerry left after no longer having HIM in house. This is not some recent concept.

17. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Probably true so they are likely setting up West to be that. Who knows when that will happen is anyone's guess. Everyone of the old guard is being phased out [see Vitti] so it is only a matter of time when changes in our management structure will take place. The only albatrosses we have are Jim and Jeannie who are the source of dysfunction from within...

18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

You poach a Troy Weaver who has been under PrestI and has a very impressive resume.

I have been doing some research on Weaver; he's known as a scouting personnel guy; although, I am sure he is intimately familiar with her CBA; here is the way I would structure it: Ryan becomes the capologist and becomes our salary cap guru. Troy and him can work side by side while Ryan crunches the numbers, participates in scouting personnel decisions, trades, etc.

Troy can focus on the personnel but have a very keen knowledge of the salary cap. He can also have final say in personnel decisions, trades, the draft, etc. But he and Ryan can form a dynamic pair complimenting one another.

If you want a 3rd person in the room, Jesse Buss is your guy. Done.

therealdeal and gcclaker like this.
  19. therealdeal

This is pretty much my point. I think it's about time to move on from Mitch but I don't think Ryan is ready yet.

D-Fish Man likes this.
  20. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    How many GM's have multiple rings on their resume?

Riles
    RC Buford
    Mystery GM you'll have to guess.

But hey, go get some kid from OKC because he must be better.

LTLakerFan and Battle Tested20 like this.