Julius Randle Discussion: Beast, Ox, Monster, Lotus Flower

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

i wish we could fast forward to his prime already

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah that little jumper is going to make him an absolute nightmare to guard. Too shifty to keep out of the lane, but a nice little jumper makes you play honest. He's got some real gifts.

I

lakerjones likes this.
  3. For the Love of the Game

For the Love of the Game - Rookie -

There's a lot to love about this kid. His combination of power/speed is scary at times. He can handle the ball real well. He can run up and down the court with the best 4's in the game. His post game is decent. He'll be able to push guys around with his strength. But man oh man does his shot look terrible. From the release to the trajectory, it's all wrong. You can tell he's ALWAYS looking to drive and only settles for the jumper if that's his only option. He won't get far like that. He has to improve on his jumper.

Also, he needs to work on his right hand. There was one play last night where the defender was on his left shoulder and the situation dictated that he should use his right to avoid the block but he went with his left and it was easily blocked by the defender. He can also get out of control at times, trying to do too much. But that's correctable. All of his issues are correctable but he's got some stuff he needs to seriously work on if he wants to be an impact player.

fabulus likes this.
  4. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

When you combine the two bolded parts of your post, you have to start to wonder how much of a monster he will be when he isn't a kid anymore.

5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

For a 19 year old rookie he is rather well spoken. Knows what the right thing to say is and say it well.

6. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Once his jumper and feel for the game gets better he will be a very good player

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

so much rests on that jumper. makes me uncomfortable. I know the team has been telling him to let it fly, but his reluctance tells me he doesn't think he has it. I think he's right. just let him play his game this year and work on that jumper (25/8) outside of games.

trodgers likes this.
  8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I loved that he didn't ever stop giving 100% effort and intensity despite the game being well out of reach. I also liked that he continued to attack the rim and shoot the outside despite the struggles early.

Keep growing and working Julius!!

9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yes and no. You'll never improve if you don't take the shots. I just want him to take the shots confidently. I don't care if he bricks it off the side of the backboard, but if he gets the ball and takes the shot in rhythm eventually his practice will kick in.

10. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    But then we would miss the maturation process and the journey. That's been part of the best thing as Lakers fans watching Kobe grow up in front of us since his rookie year. The same will be said about Randle. We'll all be smiling and reminiscing about how young he was and how fast the game was for him when he first started.

Just sit back, grab a drink, and enjoy the ride

lakerjones likes this.
  11. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    His jumper was falling in the practice I've seen. Even if he doesn't have it reliably now, I wouldn't worry; he has tons of time to work on it. When it happens, he'll be a force - because he can drive well, can operate in the post pretty well already.

12. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

it will take him like 3 years, but just like Kobe, he will become a monster.
    very exciting.
    i already picturing how big and quick he will be at that time.

Barnstable likes this.
  13. TheDude

TheDude - Rookie -

If Randle wants to improve his jumper, he has to take it in the game. There is a major difference between making shots in a game and making them in practice. Until this point in his basketball career, Randle never needed to bother taking jumpshots, but now he is going to have to make it a big part of his game. As he takes that 15 footer, he will slowly get more comfortable. Eventually, I think he will knock it down with consistency.

14. cthroatgtr

cthroatgtr - Rookie -

Jumper is not there yet, but he'll need that. The form doesn't look awful which tells you if he works, it will get better. Much like Blake Griffin it will be there for him and will be the difference of being good and great. Handles as noted way better than I expected. Reminds me of a cross between Lamar & Z-Bo actually. He is not quite as nimble or long as Lamar but quicker than Z-Bo and will still probably grow a little. Key is let's hope his work ethic is good. Lots of raw talent. I honestly believe getting Boozer will help him as Boozer is a solid vet that will help him develop. I don't think Hill or Sacre would really benefit him other than their effort. Boozer is a slightly undersized PF that doesn't have the same raw skills that Randle has but can show him how to play in the NBA. I wouldn't say Randle is undersized but he doesn't have long arms, which makes him a little shorter but much like Z-Bo, Boozer and even Barkley, has a body that can make space.

I had been peaking in on other players the Lakers may have grabbed like Marcus Smart. So far Smart has not shot the ball well at all. Will be interesting to see if that ever develops or perhaps the Lakers caught a break after all.

15. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    He should concentrate on board work first to make an impact. Just rebound, he has knack for it. His offense and defense would come with time but rebounding using his physical gifts should be his priority as a rookie.

16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Rookies.

They'll have their ups and downs — mostly downs — and make their coaches frustrated beyond belief while showing just enough to turn fans to all-in believers with visions of future centerpieces.

It wasn't overly surprising to hear Byron Scott's analysis of Julius Randle after his second exhibition game. The draft's seventh overall pick still has a ways to go.

"I thought he was lost, the first half especially," the Lakers coach said Thursday after a 120-105 loss to Golden State.

In Randle's six first-half minutes, he took five shots, missed four, committed three fouls, missed two free throws and, sure, had one assist.

He's finding out that his height — 6 feet 7¾ in bare feet — doesn't quite lead to the same initial success he enjoyed in college, where he could overpower opponents with his strength.

He's a tad undersized for an NBA power forward and doesn't yet have the skills of some at his position who can shoot from decent range.

But Charles Barkley was undersized. He found a way to succeed. Same for Wes Unseld.

And Zach Randolph is the same height as Randle. His career hasn't been bad at all.

Earlier this week, Scott poked at Randle's conditioning, saying it wasn't awful but could be better. And Randle will have to keep working on his outside touch and ballhandling skills.

It's a typical checklist for many big men when they enter the league.

Thursday's game was "just too fast for him," Scott said. "A 19-year-old, playing against a good team like that, that moves the ball the way they move and have [power forwards] that are as agile and athletic as he is, yeah, pretty much, I kind of expected that."

Kobe Bryant remembers his rookie season 18 long years ago. He seemed to sympathize with Randle. And had some advice too.

"He's still getting his feet wet right now," Bryant said. "He's kind of getting used to the NBA game and the speed of the game. The biggest thing for me is to see him trust his jump shot. I think at this stage of his career, it's important for him to really start working on expanding his game early. You know, facing up and shooting the ball."

Randle, perhaps showing some wisdom a month before his 20th birthday, agreed with Bryant.

"The biggest thing is I've got to stop hesitating so much," he said. "I've got to take what's given to me."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20141011-story.html

trodgers likes this.
  17. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

[​IMG]

I kid, I kid...

alam1108 and trodgers like this.
  18. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Kobe's quote above is clearly dead on.

19. Tragic

Tragic - Rookie -

ClubLakers class of '04
    Randle obviously needs to improve his jumpshot. I like his attacking game and athleticism but I want to see him post up more

20. Ninja_Squirtle

Ninja_Squirtle - Rookie -

I see a lot of potential! But I can't help but worry sometimes when he drives to the basket out of control, but what can you expect from a rookie? Randle will be a beast after getting used to the speed of the NBA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.