Julius Randle Discussion: Beast, Ox, Monster, Lotus Flower

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I noticed this too. He had Ellington open a few times on the wing but took it himself.

From all the games he played in the Summer League which I watched to watching how he's come along nicely. He did get lost on D a few times and failed to make the right rotations but that will come in time and with experience. He handle, quick first step, and ability to get off a hook shot in an awkward way really has impressed me a lot. In the footage I have seen of him in training camp and scrimmages he is shooting more outside shots and making them but still doesn't try it out as much during games.

Haha its funny to me because I can really tell at times when he's out of gas or has regained his energy. You can tell when he isn't tired because he'll really fight for a rebound. Other times I saw him flat footed and not always going for the ball. (the possession was in the 1st half when DEN got 5 straight offensive rebounds).

Keep up the great work Julius I know you'll get there!

therealdeal likes this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

My first post. Looked pretty decent. Tough to tell, but I liked what little we saw.

TIME, lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it was encouraging to me. he looked better against real nba players than he did in the summer league.

his jumper looks like something he can work with--he hits it in the scrimmages, so I expect it will come around.

his moves in the paint look like they'll probably work at this level as well.

I DON'T think he can play sf, ever. this is ok, as I don't know why someone would want to waste that strength trying (unsuccessfully) to chase guys around the perimeter.

his rebounding looked pretty good to me. he skied a couple times and didn't come up with the board but kept it from going to the opposition. he also had a couple nice would-be offensive boards stripped by pesky guards.

I also liked that he opened towards the ball on the pick and roll. people are right that he didn't quite hold the screen long enough, though.

my main concerns: he doesn't know how to play off the ball on offense or defense. on offense, he just stands there or floats around in areas where the opposition knows he doesn't want to shoot. on defense, he just gets lost. the reason this concerns me is that it may be indicative of basic hoop iq or "feel for the game" issues. I hope not, because everything else looks really good.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

He had eight rebounds though!

5. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Good game. Not surprised. He got lost defensively a couple of times but that will get better over time. Scott's the perfect coach for both our rookies right now; emphasizing defense, rebounding, and conditioning. A great foundation to begin an NBA career...

lakerjones likes this.
  6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

One small thing I noticed and loved is that every time he when he went in for the slam, he did it with two hands on the ball. He has noticeably shorter arms for his height, but as long as he keeps going up with both hands on the ball, he's either going to be able to slam or get fouled. I love it.

therealdeal and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Exactly. That's never been a problem at KU; he was able to finish against length as well...

8. Daniel Beltz

Daniel Beltz - Rookie -

From what I saw, he has no trouble what so ever getting to that basket. Looks like he can finish as well. Such a quick first step for someone his size. Develop that 15 footer and he will be a force to be dealt with.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  9. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

First post!

The one thing that stood out about Randle was his strength. People questioning how he'd fare against NBA level size and competition, he seemed to handle it well.

Great ability to finish through contact, and that low release, lefty shot keeps length at bay. His first step and handles for his size is nasty, he needs to work a little on footwork because he looks out of control sometimes...but this is game 1.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, dude's plenty strong. and I think those odd flips and hooks will work against most defenders, too (guys like howard and Tyson chandler might eat them up, though).

I saw an interesting conversation re: player comparisons on lg, I think. I know the initial response is "he is who he is", but I think randle's hard to peg. as much as this will annoy people, I think he reminds me a bit of young Antoine walker. who was good, mind you. quick feet, unreliable-but-respectable jumper (largely because it's not really a jumper), good hands, and some odd-yet-effective moves around the hoop.

11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Coyote and TIME like this.
  12. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    That's cool. Randle is in good hands

13. Exonyte

Exonyte - Rookie -

i like what i'm seeing from MANDLE

TIME likes this.
  14. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Randle looks great. He seriously reminds me of a Paul Millsap. But with more potential.

15. Sipnotic

Sipnotic - Rookie -

He's strong and has plenty of offensive game. He just needs to slow down a little and not rush into his moves. Look forward to witnessing his progression!

16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

He is so strong! Love him bringing up the ball, too. He's just got to keep at it. He was a little OC in the first half but settled it down later.

17. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

moves like this excite me

October 9, 2014 - Warriors vs. Lakers - Julius Randle Spin And Layup

18. lakerjones

^^ Me, too. He's got all the ingredients to really do something in this league. Just stay focused.

19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

He's so freaking strong for a 19 year old kid. You know they told us he wouldn't be able to body his way around the NBA like he did in college.

Did you all see the play where he just moved Draymon Green back with a strong hop step into the lane? Just shouldered him clear into the stanchion. Green is a strong guy and they were playing physical defense on him, and Randle just moved him back. They wanted an offensive foul, but it was clearly not a foul. It was just a situation where Green wasn't strong enough.

Obviously not comparing the two of them directly, but it reminded me of Shaq or LeBron. Just physical monsters. Randle isn't on their level, but there's a reason that he gets double and triple-teamed. He's too strong to be guarded one-on-one. He's also too quick for bigger guys. I wasn't sure it would translate to the NBA so well, but it's already showing. He's got a lot going for him. Just need to keep the kid moving in the right direction.

He needs to gain confidence in that mid-range jumper. It's very, very flat. The one time he made it, he made an obvious effort to put arc on it and it worked. I really think he needs to watch some film of Duncan's bank shots. Duncan has a super flat shot, even today, but it works.

lakersyunowin, lakerjones and TIME like this.
  20. lakerjones

^^ Glad I'm not the only one realdeal. He keeps reminding me of a baby Shaq (not THE baby Shaq of course), with his combination of quickness and agility plus size and strength. That spin move really brought it home for me.

Yeah, everyone on the post show was talking about how he needs to trust and improve that mid-range face up jumper. Obviously he's only 19 and a rook. It took a guy like Griffin some time to get that together. And Randle has a better, soft shooting touch than him. When he starts getting that in order he is going to be very tough to deal with.

Battle Tested20 and therealdeal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.