Jordan Clarkson Discussion: Sky's the limit!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by davriver209, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I like what I'm seeing from him as far as development goes. He's starting to understand when/where to attack. He's got a really natural game about him. I'd like to see him work on his strength a bit, but he's definitely got the athleticism to hang in this league. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders too.

The one thing I really love is how fearless he is. He's not afraid to miss shots and keep going. It's a Kobe-esque trait and it's rare. Well it's rare to see it in someone who can actually come through. Guys like JR Smith have that gene, but they end up missing 15 shots and costing their team the game.

LTLakerFan and lakerfan2 like this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

Lakers forward Nick Young bantered with teammates as always. A few other players talked about Kobe Bryant’s debilitating right shoulder injury. Some openly wondered how Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak would handle the upcoming Feb. 19 trade deadline.

Amid all that noise, Lakers rookie guard Jordan Clarkson sat by his locker tuning it all out. Instead, Clarkson opened up a laptop computer and watched endless clips of the San Antonio Spurs. Lakers coach Byron Scott had informed Clarkson following Friday’s morning shootaround he would make his first career start in his hometown, no less. So Clarkson did not want to leave any stone unturned.

“I want to be great and be one of the best guys in the league,” Clarkson said. “Hopefully that happens. I’m trying to be solid right now.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2...rksons-starting-debut-in-99-85-loss-to-spurs/

@Lakers_Examiner: Jordan Clarkson: “Playing in these games is making me more comfortable. I’m just trying to continue to get better.” #Lakers

This was after the Spurs game after his debut in the starting lineup; the second game where he struggled he did the same thing pulling out his tablet studying his game. The last quote was following last night's game.

He much like Julius are competitors; I seen it in Summer League where they both gravitated toward each other...keep it up, JC.

4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Watching the recording of the game last night I was so impressed with Clarkson espcially in that 1st quarter. His aggressiveness and basketball IQ is improving as far as when to turn up the pace and when to be under control. It's like watching a child develop in front of you. I'm really glad he's getting a ton of playing time now because he's arguably the only reason why I truly care about watching every game this year.

^As for what RandleROFY just posted above me, I have seen Randle and JC gravitate to each other as well. I think we're very lucky to have both of those guys under our watchful eye for many years to come. Should be a lot of fun seeing both of them develop and get more comfortable out there on the court.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. LaVarBallsDad

6. LaVarBallsDad

^good video breakdown of Clarkson and his first 3 starts.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

he's gonna have all the run he wants if he keeps playing like last night...time to shake those rookie legs and be an impact player next year

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Maybe put 7-10 lbs of muscle on him, even better handles, get more advanced with the passes, work the bleep out of his J all summer and don't ever lose that floater. Make it even better. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

love that he's getting reps. and so far my fear of his being thrown to the wolves at pg looks unfounded. let's hope he's one of the few bright spots this year.

10. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    He looks good out there. He needs to play for the rest of the season. Shake off that Rookie rust, and he could potentially be an impact player next year. He's that good.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Start him for the rest of the year. Get him worked in and comfortable for next season.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Yeah; he could add some muscle and still keep the quickness. He's an intriguing player. Now with Kobe out, maybe this becomes entirely about your three or four young players - Clarkson, Black, Kelly, and Davis. I so badly wanted to see Randle grow this year, but I'll settle for Clarkson.

13. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

It's in our best interest to develop the young guys...but NOT Sacre. Davis or Black need to be starting..and we need to ship J Hill off for a first....

If Clarkson remains the starter rest of the year, I would be pretty happy as that means we're finally developing young talent....look at Galloway in NYK...we need to do the same for Clarkson.

14. therealdeal

Pretty much agreed on that count. We know what we've got with Sacre. Give me Davis or Black starting please unless you're trying to protect someone's value which is a little shady.

15. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, roll with Clarkson/Ellington/Kelly/Davis/Black.

Minus Kelly, insert Young, that's a future bench right there.

16. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Another solid game for Clarkson against a former MVP in D Rose and a pretty good Bulls squad. Granted it came in double OT, I'm impressed by his competitiveness. Need to see a 20 game sample to really be convinced but so far, so good.

LTLakerFan, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  17. therealdeal

He's already learning how to pace himself at a remarkable rate. Byron said after the game that his development is ahead of schedule, I'd say that's an understatement. He looks really good.

Next step: making the pass. He has a "head down" mentality a lot of the time and I want to see him move the damn ball. I saw it especially on the fast break last night. Make the pass and you just might get the pass back!

johnnyboy likes this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

19. LaVarBallsDad

[​IMG]

Drew Garrison @DrewGarrisonSBN · 1h 1 hour ago
    Also, it's really hard for Clarkson to finish when the paint is so clogged all the time. Can get past his man, tho:

20. LaVarBallsDad

trodgers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.