JJ Redick Discussion: New Lakers Head Coach!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Bryant, Jun 20, 2024.

1. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

your fault

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  2. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

This is what we are hoping for

If you are a true Lakers fan why would you want him to fail?

Go JJ!

Go Lakers!

3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

As hubs Joker and Sabonis averaged 9 & 8 assists a game. AD is flirting with 4 a game, I wonder what that looks like with volume. 6-7?

TIME, abeer3, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Talk is cheap, Chokeolo is arrogant too. The results are all that matters. Vogel won a chip in his 1st season, Ham went to the Conference Finals, and Chokeolo blew our shot at another chip. The bar is set high, at least JJ embraced that.

I am a bit curious, as to how this 3pt happy thing is going to look. One issue I had with Ham's approach, was that I thought, he gave to much of a green light, to the perimeter guys besides Lebron.

That's one reason that AD went long stretches, without touching the rock. Austin, C'lo, Rui and even Prince, were running around and launching, too many random 3's with impunity IMO.

Double down on that, and still focus on AD? Gotta see that in action, we had 4 guys shooting 40% from deep, with volume last season. I'm kind of skeptical that more 3's is the magic solution.

5. Slick2021

AD doesn't have those guys court vision or handle though. He struggles with double teams, and is slow to make the right read a lot. That's surprising considering he was a PG in HS. I understand that it is HS though. I wonder if his growth spurt affected his timing some. He knows what he wants to do, but his passes are slightly off a lot, and his dribble gets a bit sloppy sometimes.

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I think his 3s will be more purposeful. I doubt we'll see TP or players like him iso dribbling into bad 3 pointers. I expect movement and space based looks. Bron and DLO (if back) are the only two you want dancing with the ball beyond the 3 pt line.

I think Austin will get a lot of use as a cutter. Rui sounds like it'll be corner 3 or hard rim dives/ crashing the glass from the corners.

7. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Actuallly, that sounds just about right.

8. Slick2021

And maybe AD is about to get 5-6 attempts a game. Vogel's dream.

9. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

What happened to the inside out offense?

And taking it to the hoop forcing the defense to collapse and leaving open guys to pass to?

10. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Something about JJ is super off putting to me. He comes across as a super arrogant know it all who thinks he's the smartest man in the room. And that fake humble act he tried to pull felt incredibly fake.

CarolinaLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  11. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I like the hire from the point of view that JJ is intelligent, well spoken and not a retread. I think he has a chance of being a good head coach but I’m not sure a high pressure, profile Laker organization should be his first gig. I think he will try to put our players in positions to succeed and will get buy in from the players. He will be better than Ham but that’s a really low bar.

12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Anyone else feel a twinge of jealousy when it was announced that Cleveland was hiring Kenny Atkinson yesterday like I did? I don’t like that they landed a legit HC and we ended up with a newbie podcaster, friend of Lebron.

Juronimo likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he's a better ballhandler than either guy and is much more dangerous in isolation from the elbow/ft line area, which is where we should set up these actions (not way out above the three point line). his passing is improving, too. we finally started sending some cutters as the year wore on, and he was hitting them. he's not going to make laser skip passes like jokic or behind the back feeds for baseline cutters like sabonis and jokic, but he could definitely pick up a few more assists and probably a few more FTAs if we run more dho stuff with him.

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    We did the Hollywood move.

Queue up the dramatic music. *sigh

lakerjones likes this.
  15. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

The Redick press conference went just about how I thought it would. My main question was always about the staff that surrounds him, and we have heard very little about that even though he has technically had the job for like a week.

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. Slick2021

No..He is not a better ball handler man, that's not true at all, if his handle was tighter, he'd be nearly unguardable

It's an adventure with AD after a couple of dribbles. He's just as likely to stumble and fumble the ball, as make a play. Yes off of one or two dribbles, he dangerous. However i definitely wouldn't consider him with more handle than those guys, or Embiid.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we're probably defining it differently. but absolutely nobody is afraid of jokic or sabonis facing up on them from 17. everyone's terrified of AD in that situation, hence the doubles/hedging.

Barnstable and SamsonMiodek like this.
  18. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

T-wolves sign Finch to 4 years contract extension coming off conference finals trip.BTW he coached in England and Belgium and was champion there and played in multiple finals, he was England coach at Euro and Olympics, but nobody gave a f*** before he get assistant coach position in NBA
    I can see very similar for JJ

19. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

Blah blah blah he will be fired 40 games in! Nobody in that lock room will respect this FRAUD

20. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    For sure he is. Phil Jackson was too. Riles was too. JJ may crash and burn but it won’t be because of his arrogance if he does.

The main things for me is he has buy in from day one from LeBron, AD and AR. He IS smart, and by all accounts he is an obsessive scheme / prep guy. I also really like that he wants a couple of head coaches on the bench that are willing check him.