Jeanie Buss Discussion: Jeanie Mohr?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by alam1108, Aug 15, 2018.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

wonder why there have been no leaks about good decisions that the rambii have had a hand in. is it because there simply aren't any? or does jeanie not play politics (doubtful)?

i've been (sort of cynically) waiting for a rambis defense piece forever, and there's none to be found.

2. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I honestly don’t think Jeanie is going to change her ways regarding who she surrounds herself with. Magic abruptly bailed on her in a very dramatic, public fashion and yet she still seeks his advice.

3. FrontOfJersey22

Maybe there hasn’t been a piece like this because there isn’t enough evidence to create one?
    I’m going with this.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

At some point theres going to be too many cooks in the kitchen and the product the team puts out ends up being a half assed collection of ideas.

Cookie, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

this is my thought, too. like i said, with how all sides use the press (e.g., rob, vogel, lebron, etc.) i doubt jeanie doesn't also do this. so the simplest conclusion is that she can't point to a rambis success story other than something personal or even something professional that has nothing to do with the lakers' on-court product. it's unfortunate that this is how the (soon-to-be-formerly) premier franchise of the nba is run.

i've always said i thought the knicks being such a s***show was bad for basketball. i'm not sure if the league can survive both the lakers and the knicks being junk for an extended period. folks can't get behind the clippers, nets, or even warriors, imo. they don't inspire support or hatred in quite the same way for whatever reason.

6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Right. Too many cooks and honestly, too many personal ties. How many folks involved here can honestly just make an objective decision without factoring in personal connections? Doesn't appear we have anyone who can truly be a voice of dissent outside of LeBron and Klutch (which presents its own set of warts and issues).

7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

She's clueless about basketball operations. .

And as I've pointed out, she has so many resources. She could easily invest in the best minds in basketball if she were to put in the research and money.

It isn't that hard. Delegate responsibly, and you'll be fine.

Cookie, 432J, abeer3 and 4 others like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i actually wonder if that's it--she's not confident enough to bypass rambis/phil and pick a winner in terms of management. she should hire a firm or something to shield her from her obligations to her pals. feel like if kobe were around, they'd have a private conversation in which he helped her find a way to let rob run things and/or bring in a president of operations that was a real visionary.

i just can't believe a guy who's failed as much as rambis has so much sway. there's just no path to glory that way.

9. FrontOfJersey22

Well, now we have the news that Phil has had a lot of input regarding this version of the Lakers. This LeBron era definitely has enough drama to fill an entire series. So many characters, NONE, besides Rob, who have had any success in a Front Office role.
    It seems like Jeanie would take advice from a concession stand worker that sold pop corn for two seasons at the Forum over an extremely intelligent basketball mind who has no former Laker ties.
    SMH!!!!

10. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

That is not what was said about Phil's involvement with the team. That he "has had a lot of input regarding this version of the Lakers." No idea where that came from. This version of the Lakers is what it is, Phil has had nothing to do with it. What has been said is that he's been consulted about basketball, not personnel. There's nothing wrong with that. It's better than consulting Magic. Phil's stats as a President of basketball speak for themselves, even Jeanie knows to stay away from that. We don't need his advice on players but he's got a .704 coaching record, the highest in the business period. Most playoff games coached ever. And he always knew how to work with stars, it's worth a shot to consult him on basketball. Of course, he's going to say Triangle, Triangle, Triangle.

ElginTheGreat and JSM like this.
  11. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I don't have a problem with her bouncing things off guys like Phil or even Magic in and of itself.

I just don't think those folks should be standing over the shoulder of the guy she picked to run things. Either she has faith in Rob and his ability to manage the team or she doesn't.

Build a real brain trust with an actual hierarchy. Not just running around asking everyone for their opinion. That is part of what has lead to us fumbling the ball on hiring coaches, making trades etc.

And I've been shouting to the heavens forever for them to hire real search firms to help with staffing on any level from the GM to our trainers but it doesn't seem like that ever happens.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Weezy, D-Fish Man and abeer3 like this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Wouldn't matter who they find for us, that person is turning us down. No one on the outside wants to join the unchecked Rambii structure. She's not going to fire her best friend. Our only hope is she eventually sells.

Juronimo, Weezy, Kenzo and 5 others like this.
  13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    wise people seek wise counsel

She's doing what any non expert should do. Kobe freely would seek input from other masters of the craft. It's not a weakness, but a strength.

TIME, FrontOfJersey22, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  14. FrontOfJersey22

You might be misreading what I wrote. I never said,”He was a part of building out the roster.”
    From the quotes that are out on the interwebs, Phil was very interested in “the Westbrook situation.”
    That is interest in player personnel.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

first guy's not wrong that deals that almost happen at the deadline do often happen later, but it would be pretty disappointing to bring in wall for westbrook, even if it doesn't cost a first. i agree with the other guy, though. i think we end up waiving him.

16. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    That is a a true principle but does not apply in this case. First Jeanie has proven herself to be business wise, but not basketball wise. For a recent example, she was 100% convinced adding Westbrook was going to be a huge success.

Second, the people she is seeking for counsel are not wise either. Linda Rambis is clueless basketball-wise. Kurt's track record speaks for itself. Magic should be wise, but again most of his decisions as team president were not productive. Phil really should be wise but he destroyed the Knicks FO. Rob is a mystery. Sometimes I think he knows what he's doing, but it's hard to sort out which decisions are his or the Rambii.

Kenzo, Cookie, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    So please continue to seek wise counsel, but please improve who you seek wise counsel from

:Fishwink:

18. FrontOfJersey22

Has she already gone through her Rolodex of ex-Lakers whom she considers basketball savvy?
    Maybe she should hit up some of the guys in the scouting department for advice(I know, this makes too much sense). They seem to be the only ones recently who have proven they know what they’re doing.

TIME likes this.
  19. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

Jeanie job is not to feel free to think she knows what to do. She need to resort for others to make the decisions with her getting the final say. Just don't ask someone who trashed your organization years ago on ESPN 1st take. The team has to conform to your best player needs, not wants. Westbrook was a huge failure, we have the answer. Get rid of him and get back to 3 and D players with Lebron & AD, plus another play maker who doesn't have to be elite, but can get off his own shot and score, Monk could be that guy, but as a player off the bench.

20. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

The front office made great decisions before this year and they won it all. They made a couple crappy ones last year and they are eating it now. Fix the issues this summer and get this thing right. That's all you can do. The players need to take the blame more than the front office.