Jarred Vanderbilt Discussion: The Vandalorian

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by karacha, Feb 8, 2023.

1. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

1ppg so far... At times it looks like he's never touched a basketball in his life. He's great at snagging boards but when it comes to catching passes.. yikes.

Great on D against wings though but hopefully he offers a semblance of offense as he works himself back.

2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It won't be long before the "We can't afford to play Reddish and Vanderbilt together!"comments to start picking up.

abeer3 likes this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

lol, we almost can't afford not to.

i'd rather play games in the 90s than have to try to score 130 to win.

LTLakerFan and JSM like this.
  4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

We'll see professor..I'm cool with whatever gets the W. However in general, fans tend to talk up defensive players, until they realize that most of them, aren't good offensive players. Then they complain more about the lack of offense, than they did about the lack of defense! Lol

On another note...I still believe that, the Reddish, Vanderbilt and AD trio, can be truly special this season.

Offensive Defense

LTLakerFan likes this.
  5. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Vando is really bad on offense. Just no way around it: his jumper is broken and he has trouble finishing inside. That's a bad combo. And then you add hes got cornerback hands and it's just a stacking of badness.

That being said the coaching staff has to do something other then out him in the corner. Offense gets mucked up and teams ignore him anyway. Use him as a screener for DLo and Reaves for example so the catches and he can swing the ball if he gets it

Cam is good or better on defense but his jumper while not greaf had shown the ability to hit jumpers in the 4th quarter and he has better body control and handle to finish inside. Marginal differences can have a huge impact on the ability to excel and this is one.

No coincidence that that the Lakers look like an elite contender with Cam in there and basically a playin without him.

6. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I’ll take a guy who can shutdown some of the best scorers in the League and who also energizes the entire team on defense, over someone who puts up hollow scoring stats every day of the week.
    Yeah, he can’t really score, but we have enough of those guys on this squad.
    I honestly believe if we had a better coach with offensive schemes, Vando could easily add 8-10 PPG.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. Pioneer10

This year the scheme with Vando was bad but I watched every playoff game last year and the coaching staff pulled every trick they could to get the offense unclogged.
    They put him the corner, dunker spot, PnR Screener, etc. In the dunker spot he couldn't finish over traffic even when set up (this happened in the Spurs game: they found him alone and he got rejected hard) and as a roll man, he's like a Chief's receiver dropping dimes.

I would love Vando to succeed: I love his defense and his defensive intelligence, he's a good rebounder, and he has a decent handle but he's a very flawed player and when you stack up all the stuff he hasn't shown on offense it's a massive obstacle

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

sorry, pioneer, but you seem committed to a narrative. we've looked much better when vando's been available, dating to last year. there are two sides to the floor, and he's a bigger plus on d than he is a minus on offense.

well, this year excepted, but it's a super small sample size driven down by the fact that he's literally shooting 20% (on 10 total shots).

whether you like vando or not is driven almost entirely but what you think wins games. i think defense wins games, and that teams that depend on role players' shot making tend to lose, while teams that depend on role players' defense tend to win.

9. Pioneer10

Depends on the context without Schroeder the POA tanked really badly and I think that is one reason the team looks so different with Cam or w/o Cam
    I think in this setting Vando's offensive woes would be tolerated

OTOH: Vando's impact on the offense this year is really bad.
    https://x.com/Tim_NBA/status/1736083384466608346?s=20

I mean it's hard not to be committed to a narrative when it keeps popping up: his touches against SA were disasters. Hoping this is somewhat due to rust and injuries and he can show more. He just needs something on offense: even a floater game would help tremendously for him

abeer3 likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

as i said, he's played what, 5 games? these stats are incredibly noisy in samples that small. hell, they're a bit noisy in full-season samples, tbh. and making sweeping assessments based on small samples is sort of the definition of fitting data to preconceived notions, imo.

i'm going to believe vando is the same guy on offense he's been for the past three years, which is not as bad on offense as he is good on defense.

Cookie, lakerjones and Wino like this.
  11. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

With Vando you have to differentiate between regular season and postseason. He's a very valuable regular season rotation piece. When he's out there with AD and another wing, the size and activity level on defense jumps out at you. Easily a net positive overall.

If we're taking Vando's role in a playoff series, its a little more complicated. Even if teams may know what counters they'll need to go to heading into Game 1, they don't like to pull the trigger right away because there are only so many adjustments you can make. Eventually, the terms of the series are established. Vando did a great job at the start of each of the Grizzlies and Warriors series, but both teams adjusted to target his struggles getting over/through screens and the lack of shooting. As a result, by the end of each series his minutes had been reduced and our most effective lineups did not include him.

That said, we need to acknowledge why the Grizzlies and Warriors adjusted specifically to target Vando's flaws. Because if he's on the court, our size, defense and physicality becomes overwhelming for a lot of teams. That's a good thing, and why he needs to be a significant part of our regular rotation. But so long as he's on this team and we're making the playoffs, I suspect his minutes in the last two games of a series will be less than in the first two. There's nothing wrong with that, every good team has guys like this.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

this is my point: teams have to go away from their bread and butter to render him obsolete. is that really a net loss to your team? i say definitely not.

Cookie, sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    unless your team has some unknown dude who can hit 13 threes and drop 47 points of of nowhere

still scratching my head at that one

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

you talking about keegan murray? he was the #4 overall pick a couple years ago and has shot 40% on high volume over his first year-plus in the league.

that said, i think vando could have limited him to 30!

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Ok, unknown to me.
    :Laugh:

abeer3 likes this.
  16. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

I read a quote from him saying : "I came back earlier than I should have because I see us as a contender "

Might be a pb for his health and PT long term ..

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i've noticed that a) we're limiting his minutes and b) he seems even less aggressive on offense than last year. guessing it's all related.

i'd rather him just sit if he's not ready to go. we just signed him to a four-year deal.

Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Wasn’t he on the floor after one rough play against the Knicks grabbing at his heel again? Which didn’t look good at all considering how long it took him to get back to playing if this is a setback?

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, that didn't look great. He's clearly not right but am guessing the pain is at a manageable level and he's been told he can't do further damage to it.

Cookie, lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Oh. Well that’s good at least. Shoot it up!!

:D ;)